Spain over the Winter

Jack9900

As a confirmed francophile, the difference in the culture and landscape is vast in favour of France, After you sprint through robber alley (Barcelona) the country becomes scrub and clay for miles, unlike France with everything you could wish for, So i am a bit prejudiced.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2019-08-07 9:26 PM

I think you'll find decent bottles of wine cost about the same in each country.

Cheap mass produced vino fortified with sugar carries the same tax as proper wine, so at about £12 the difference is minimal.

(And when the pound is worth less than the euro, it won't be so cheap anyway)

It's just as well I don't have a educated palette either :D .........

Or else I might still be working for a living 8-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
charleydog - 2019-08-08 7:50 PM

As a confirmed francophile, the difference in the culture and landscape is vast in favour of France, After you sprint through robber alley (Barcelona) the country becomes scrub and clay for miles, unlike France with everything you could wish for, So i am a bit prejudiced.

We used to be snobbish like that ;-) .........and there is a site in France we are determined to get back to this year if time and circumstances allow B-) ........

It's run by a Dutch couple :D ........

Fifo - 2019-08-01 10:18 AM

If you have your residency document, then this will be, by Spanish Royal decree, protected and you will be able, for a transition period covering this winter anyway, be able to enjoy your holiday. Among much on the subject online see :

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/190108residence.aspx

The Clubs have always made it clear that, if you intend to stay longer than 90 days in Spain then you should register with the authorities ( eg p 86: current C&CC Winter Sun brochure.). In practise few seem to do so but this year it would be wise I think. I understand that Portugal is doing the same.

Winter 2020/2021, who knows ? A £52 visa has been mentioned.

Bear in mind that it is the Schengen area as a whole to which this 90 day restriction applies, not individual countries.

Assuming we leave on 31 October, your passport will be recorded when you enter Schengen. If, when you leave Schengen, you have spent more than 90 days since entry, you will be liable to a penalty - either restriction on future entry, or a fine, or both - depending on the duration of the overstay.

It may be possible for people to enter Spain "under the radar" directly by taking a ferry to Bilbao or Santander, but the intention is that the passport is entered onto a common Schengen database that is accessible at all Schengen border points, so even were you to enter Schengen at a Spanish port, and leave through a Spanish port, your passport would be likely to be flagged as an overstayer when you next entered the Schengen area, wherever you enter.

It would be wise to carefully check the Schengen rules for third countries before proceeding on the basis of an unsubstantiated assurance gained from the Internet.

Brian Kirby - 2019-08-15 5:54 PM

It would be wise to carefully check the Schengen rules for third countries before proceeding on the basis of an unsubstantiated assurance gained from the Internet.

Far from being an” unsubstantiated assurance gained from the internet” the website I cite is that of the Spanish government and makes it clear that during the transition period we will not be declared persona non grata provided we have registered.- as we have always been supposed to do uf staying longer than 90 days.

Fifo - 2019-08-15 6:09 PM

Far from being an” unsubstantiated assurance gained from the internet” the website I cite is that of the Spanish government and makes it clear that during the transition period we will not be declared persona non grata provided we have registered.- as we have always been supposed to do uf staying longer than 90 days.

Well, the unsubstantiated bit may have been a bit OTT, but the point I was trying to make is that the Schengen rules are not set by Spain.

Your linked website, as I read, it is about the residency rules for Spain, which is a matter for the Spanish government.

What I think you will need is an extended Schengen Visa that is valid in the whole Schengen area, and AFAIK, the Spanish issued Schengen Visas are not.

The nearest source of universally accepted Schengen Visas is the French embassy in London, and the procedure requires a fair stack of paperwork, and you have to visit in person.

I'm not claiming special expertise here, but I have looked into the Schengen rules, and I still think that, unless you will enter Spain directly from the UK, and will stay exclusively (and especially leave directly from) Spain, it would be wise to check the EU's rules for staying within the Schengen area.

You will do what you will do, but if it were me, I'd check.

Just go and enjoy, don't listen to Charlyboy, who obviously had a bad experience. I would suggest the weather is better though the winter further up the coast towards Costa Blanca rather than Gib in the winter. You will struggle to find long term pitches on good campsites as most are booked at least a year in advance. As for gas, we use Calor bottles that are easily refilled to 80% full at most LPG stations, you just need the adaptors and common sense when filling.

If you are minted then both Gasflow and Gasit bottle systems are a {safe ] expensive option.

charleydog - 2019-08-08 7:50 PM

We spent a month last January in an apartment just outside Valancia and loved it! The city is well worth a visit (especially good for vegans!), lovely beaches, varied countryside ranges from market gardening near the coast to orange groves to almond and olive trees as you go inland and towards the mountains, which are also a scenic delight. We met a few folk from the UK who were mostly wild camping, in car parks etc and seemed to be managing it ok. Hoping to go in our motor caravan next February, although at present plans up in the air because of the blond buffoon and no clarity about dog passports.

pelmetman - 2019-08-07 7:37 AM

charleydog - 2019-08-06 5:50 PM

And you stil have to pay council tax,etc, SO, turn up your heating and wait for those blue frosty skies and enjoy the english countryside.And save yourself the hassle of fuel cost ,site fees,(if you can find one) insurance, and fear of a winter breakdown abroad. YOU WILL SAVE A FORTUNE! :-D

Providing you take the pledge ;-) ..........

A decent bottle of Spanish wine £1.80.......A decent bottle of UK wine £6.50 8-) ...........

A bottle of wine 1.80 yes a decent bottle NO (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-17 9:40 AM

pelmetman - 2019-08-07 7:37 AM

charleydog - 2019-08-06 5:50 PM

And you stil have to pay council tax,etc, SO, turn up your heating and wait for those blue frosty skies and enjoy the english countryside.And save yourself the hassle of fuel cost ,site fees,(if you can find one) insurance, and fear of a winter breakdown abroad. YOU WILL SAVE A FORTUNE! :-D

Providing you take the pledge ;-) ..........

A decent bottle of Spanish wine £1.80.......A decent bottle of UK wine £6.50 8-) ...........

A bottle of wine 1.80 yes a decent bottle NO (lol)

I guess it's all a matter of taste ;-) ...........

At least it'll be a lot cheaper for me to celebrate Leaving the EU....... than it will be for you to drown your sorrows :D ..........

The whole point about the 90 day rule is not how long you can stay away and be subjected to the tolerance of the country your staying in but the UK checking you out and then back again! Check out the lengthy discussion on Brexit in chatterbox.

It's also become quite entertaining (lol)

Barcobird - 2019-08-17 9:51 AM

The whole point about the 90 day rule is not how long you can stay away and be subjected to the tolerance of the country your staying in but the UK checking you out and then back again! Check out the lengthy discussion on Brexit in chatterbox.

It's also become quite entertaining (lol)

the UK will not carry out checks relevant to entering/leaving the Schengen area: such checks are carried out at the Schengen border by the states you enter through, and leave from. The UK is not in Schengen. The UK border Force records our comings and goings as parliament dictates - but that has nothing to do with Schengen.

Fifo - 2019-08-15 6:09 PM

"Spanish government and makes it clear that during the transition period" - No deal means no transition period as that was part of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Love it - Christmas in the Algarve, a couple of months working out way back along the South Coast of Spain. Swimming in January, or would you rather huddle over your gas fire in the UK?

Don't let the doom merchants put you off, but Brexit will certainly not help particularly as the Lemmings are now preparing to leap off the No Deal cliff.

Having our French residents card/licences/camper registration helps but technically we're still subject to the 90 day rule, although any ANPR camera will only see a French plate camper crossing a border.

Guest pelmetman
TheFrenchConnection - 2019-08-18 7:15 PM

Having our French residents card/licences/camper registration helps but technically we're still subject to the 90 day rule, although any ANPR camera will only see a French plate camper crossing a border.

Hmmm another tick in the changing Horace to Spanish plates box :D ............

Cheaper Insurance.......No road tax.......and plenty of old Tranny's in Spain = plenty of spares........ so the sums are adding up B-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
TheFrenchConnection - 2019-08-18 7:31 PM

So even Pelmetman réalisés that Brexit is a disaster

Nope ;-) .......I'm just discovering another Brexit bonus :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-08-18 7:41 PM

Please enlighten us - at present we're probably not going to Spain in the new year because of the hiatus about dog passports; if we go I have to get a green card, international driving licence, health insurance, may not be able to use my mobile. Only up side I can see is that there will be food in the shops!

Conrad - 2019-08-20 4:05 PM

Please enlighten us - at present we're probably not going to Spain in the new year because of the hiatus about dog passports; if we go I have to get a green card, international driving licence, health insurance, may not be able to use my mobile. Only up side I can see is that there will be food in the shops!

It will be quieter than previously and it won't smell of Wurthers Originals and wee. :D

Conrad - 2019-08-20 3:05 PM

you have the brexiteers to thank for that || :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post Fifo it was a pleasure to read.

I've just joined this forum btw.

As it's my intention, at a later date, to spend most of my time in Europe (Solo traveller)

My thoughts were to purchase a caravan but more recently, perhaps a motorhome, with a small car on tow.

Early days yet.

I'm looking forward to browsing through the posts and hopefully pick up some tips etc.

TriciaA - 2019-09-02 5:43 PM

Thanks for your post Fifo it was a pleasure to read.

I've just joined this forum btw.

As it's my intention, at a later date, to spend most of my time in Europe (Solo traveller)

My thoughts were to purchase a caravan but more recently, perhaps a motorhome, with a small car on tow.

Early days yet. I'm looking forward to browsing through the posts and hopefully pick up some tips etc.

"Most of your time in Europe"? Wiser to move and become become resident in the EU country of your choice though you will have to be quick. UK is set to become third country status and Brexit Brits voted to end freedom of movement....and that applies to them even though some believed it wouldn't and still think they have 'specialty'.

Archived