Towbar mounted storage box for inflatable sailing dinghy.

monty

I am looking to buy an inflatable sailing dinghy (Tinker or Dinghygo ).

My plan is to transport it in a Thule Backbox on a Thule Easybase fitted to a towbar on my Bilbo’s Celex hightop VW T5, whilst still being able to keep my existing fiamma bike rack and two cycles.

The dimensions of the collapsed boats are fairly similar (114 x 43 x 56cms and 112 x 40 x 65cms respectively) and the external dimensions of the Thule Backbox are 147 x 57 x 70cms, so it looks like this will work and hopefully leave enough room for the sails, mast, boom, rudder and daggerboard.

My questions are :

1. Does anyone know the internal dimensions of the Thule Backbox, so that I can be sure it will fit?

2. Does anyone know if the Backbox will fit under the existing bike rack?

3. I know nothing about towbars, so is there a particular type that will sit lower down to aid in fitting the storage box beneath the bike rack?

4. Has anyone any experience of transporting an inflatable like this and how did you do it?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated!

Monty,

You will have to be careful of weight!

The Thule EasyBase has a load capacity of 45 kg and as an example, the Dinghygo Orca weighs 29 kg plus 14 kg for the sails so very close. I couldn't find a weight for the Tinker.

That much weight on a towbar plus a rear mounted cycle rack MAY put your rear axle over its limit. I would suggest getting axle weights measured before proceeding to see if you have sufficient rear axle capacity.

Keith.

Many years ago (90's), I transported a Metzler inflatable + 8hp engine in a backbox on my Fiat Ducato campervan.

The backbox was formed with a timber frame covered with plywood and doors either end. Two cycles were mounted above the backbox. The backbox was connected to the chassis either side, using a square tubular box section and a steel interconnecting platform fabricated by a local welder.

Used it for quite a few years with trips to Spain before buying a Zodiac inflatable on a trailer.

In the 90s, very few people were aware of payload and rear axle loading, me included. I now shudder to think how much overloaded we were. Must admit the rear leaf springs did look a bit saggy when fully loaded.

As mentioned above, a lot of weight is going to be taken by the rear axle so best to check the rear axle load with holiday gear + passengers and then do the calculations with the additional weight you intend to add to the back. Don't forget that more load added behind the rear axle, reduces the load on the front axle, which could affect steering (or lack of) !!!

My gut feeling is, you'd be better off with a trailer.

Thanks Keith and Robbo,

I had a feeling that I might need to look at weight, so I will now load up with all the “essentials” that we already take on our trips and visit my local weighbridge, to see what I have available.

I’ve got a feeling it will not be good news, as the reason I am looking for a tow bar storage solution is because we are already filled up inside with Lafuma sun loungers, stools, sun bed, table, drive-away awning, windbreaks, chocks, outdoor camping gaz two burner, tinned food etc etc etc....

I,m still interested in the internal dimensions of the Thule Backbox if anyone can help.

Thanks again

My recommendation would be a trailer for years I used a box trailer for my tinker dingy and bikes and chairs and later for scooter hardly know its there behind a big bessacar and now a ducato campervan :

Salu,

Thanks for that, yes a trailer might be the answer, especially as I have now found out that, besides the weight problem, it looks like the Thule back up will not fit under the bike rack (about 7cms too high).

What do you think of the Tinker as a sailing dinghy? I’m not looking to win any races, just looking for something to potter about in and explore some lakes in France, Italy etc.

That's quite a size, I think we would probably manage with a smaller one for just the (proposed) Tinker, or maybe even an eriba !

What sort of Tinker do you have? Now that I have eliminated either carrying one on a tow bar or inside the van, I'm thinking that the Traveller is the one to go for.

I'm trying to convince my wife that she would be safe on it as a passenger and the extra 3ft length would hopefully give her more room to dodge the boom, although I think she may only go on it if I have an outboard.

Ye ours is a tinker Traveller don't worry about the boom your wife can sit lower in the boat till she gets used to it, just remember its quite heavy I made up a folding launch trolley, love the boat had fun when grandchildren were into, it easy to sail on ones own

Archived