Sorintshift gearbox

bobmaddison

Hello the font of all knowledge. We have a Hymer on Merc base fitted with a "Sprint shift" gearbox. We like it very much except when trying to start the engine .We've been told by several experts who (coincidentally live nearby, ar'nt I lucky) that. There is a ritual one has to carry out before it will start. This includes putting the key in wiggle the gearbox lever and put it in N, press hard down on the brake pedal and while holding the brake hard down re-insert the key.

I am left wondering if this whole thing is folk-law covering up a simple We often have to do this four or five times

Has anyone else had this experience?.

I went to look at a sprintshift Merc-based Hymer which was for sale recently and there was a noticeable lurch with every gearchange as were were taken for a drive. I'd never been in one before so this was quite a surprise (and a disappointment) so that although we decided not to buy for other reasons, I would have needed to do some further research before accepting that the lurches were normal!

Its some time since we had our sprintshift but if memory serves me right, it has to be in neutral before it will start, you can only check its in neutral with the ignition switched on. You must hold the brake pedal down before you turn the key to try to start the engine.

Driving wise we/I enjoyed the gearbox, it was smooth enough, although it would hold on to the high gear too long and then have to drop 2 gears on a hill. We got rid at about 27000m because it sometimes refused to go into neutral to be able to start the engine and on a couple of occasions when I had stopped in a layby to stop something rattling in a cupboard, it refused to go into gear to get moving again, so it got swopped.

I hope you have better luck alan

I have a sprintshift.

It must be in N before it will start . If you accidentally switch off the engine whilst still in gear ,easily done, just press the brake pedal and it will then be possible to put into N.

My van is 18 years old and the only problems I've had with the gear box was when it wouldn't change down when going uphill.

Easily fixed by replacing the speed sensor on the rear wheel ( the gear box was being sent incorrect speed info , thus not changing down )

Normally quite a cheap job ,but mine had rusted on and took the garage quite a while to remove.

I just drove it in manual mode until I could get it fixed.

I've heard lots of scare mongering about sprinter gear boxes but mine has been fine, apart from the above which wasn't in fact a gearbox problem.

Archived