Autotrail battery charger faults.

Terry Sankey

I own an Autotrail Scout 2002 built on a Mercedes Sprinter, which is brilliant! However my built in battery charger isnt charging :-(

The fairly new leisure battery, charges from the engine but the 240v one does not seem to work. If II plug in my car battery charger and connect up then all is fine.

Could this be a relay problem or a control panel problem or might it need a new charger?

The trip switch is on ok when hitched up, the wires that emerge underneath are connected ok too.

There are a few niggling 12v issues too but I think they are unrelated unless it is a control panel issue.

Anyone any ideas, Please? I would be most grateful. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith,

Sorry not to have got back but have now checked. Yes it is the Sargent unit.

A display with two indistinguishable buttons beneath with a further two rows of four buttons (total eight.

The external temperature (bottom right) never registers anything but "cold"

The internal pump (above temperature) I think is not doing what it used to but I've tended not to take any notice when everything works fine!!!

Are these checkable and rectifiable if not working properly.

The other thing is the "Full alarm " for our grey water often comes on when we are driving even though I assumed that the whole control unit was disconnected when the ignition is on and we are driving.

I have another issue that the igniters have stopped working on the cooker and the orange flashing light on the refrigerator doesn't switch on for lighting the gas. This is not a major problem since we use the 12v and 240v option most of the time.

I did have a problem with the refrigerator not operating on 12v but changed a relay (I think under the bonnet) which had been wired in by autotrail and covered in black insulating tape.

The wiring diagram in the original manual that came with the van is quite difficult to follow even though I have enlarged and printed on A3.

Thanks for your help Keith.

Incidentally I'm based in Salisbury. Wiltshire.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I am not an expert on Sargent electrical installations, and a diagram for your vehicle does not seem to be available online.

However I do not see any mention of checking a charger output fuse in your posts. I would expect this to be a 15A (blue) blade fuse, perhaps one of a group.

From your description, your charger is a separate unit. Is it possible to unplug the output connector (possibly on a short tail cable) and check the output voltage with a multimeter. I would expect to read upto 14.4V at this point.

As regards your other problems, I will comment on these briefly in order.

External temperature will require an external sensor which could be faulty or disconnected.

If the pump is working, and does not work when switched off, what is the problem?

Waste water alarm. You assume that the 12V is switched off when driving. This would require an EMC relay. What does your handbook say? Alarm could be caused by waste water sloshing about in the tank.

Fridge and cooker ignition. You have not supplied the make and model of fridge. Many fridges now require a permanent 12V supply for the control circuits. This is in addition to the 12V power when driving. Is it possible that this supply is missing? The same supply could also have been used for the cooker ignition.

Finally I totally agree regarding the difficulty of following wiring diagrams. I much prefer a schematic diagram.

I hope that the above provides some pointers for you.

Alan

Archived