Help! Can't decide where to go in mid-France

Vernon

Nice one "Nicepix" you have revived a debate that had real potential. It even took Dave away from the Brexit debate long enough to post a comment. These debates IMHO bring out the best in British wit and humour. I am surprised Tracker Rich & even Jeremy "the lame duck" have not chosen to comment, usually two sources of inspired wit! Please keep this going as I look forward to waking up tomorrow to more gems. Cheers,

Geeco - 2019-08-23 11:44 PM

Nice one "Nicepix" you have revived a debate that had real potential. It even took Dave away from the Brexit debate long enough to post a comment. These debates IMHO bring out the best in British wit and humour. I am surprised Tracker Rich & even Jeremy "the lame duck" have not chosen to comment, usually two sources of inspired wit! Please keep this going as I look forward to waking up tomorrow to more gems. Cheers,

Well Gary I have been sharpening my pencil thinking of a reply and agree with Nicepix that a plan is not a plan unless you have a plan for the plan.

I am going over the channel on Monday and we have a very detailed plan.

I am on an exchange visit to the Swiss Mountain Rescue bods in the Bernese Alps. They want to know what methods we use here at the Romney Marsh Mountain Rescue Centre of Excellence, so I am taking the combined expertese of our group to show them what we know. We have charged the neck brandy bottles of our Rescue sheep "Ethel" and have been practising our high altitude techniques without oxygen on the banks of the Royal Military Canal. They will be mighty impressed by our belaying - I can tell you it's not easy with 6 webbed fingers but is a sight to behold!

After that we'll follow the Franco-Italian border down to the Med to give Ethel a taste of the Savoie Alps and show the French a thing or two with our use of our Romney rescue Pigeon, "Percival".

If there is any inclemancy we'll abandon that plan and go either South or West, maybe East but probably not North.

We work to the "Six P" principal - "Piss Poor Passage Planning Prevents Proper Performance"

(You will note the Romney Marsh nuance in this - .....the 7th P! - Cunning Eh?)

Don't tell 'em your name Pike ...............

Your plan isn't as daft as it might seem. For one thing in summer Switzerland and Romney Marsh will have one thing in common; both will be bereft of snow! But be careful of charging the revival barrel around Ethel's neck as this could cause problems with customs officials at the soft border between the EU and the rest of the world, in your case Switzerland, that cannot for some reason be replicated further west in the Emerald Isle. Brandy is very heavily taxed in Switzerland so you might have to consider using the Essex girl's favourite tipple Prosecco to save money. Hopefully any casualties that Ethel might encounter will understand. My wife would.

Also, be very careful about letting Percival out unattended. The Alpine passes will be lined with chasseurs on the look out for anything edible, and given that they have not been able to shoot t anything but wild pigs for several months Percival might well end up perforated.

You will find that Switzerland has a third dimension in that it is not flat. In the event on inclemency better to go down than up even if down is north.

and on the subject of Ps. Remember that in French a tyre is a punew, not a new. Of course a new punew would be new. A nouvelle punew to be more precise. But when ordering tyres in France the P is not silent as it is in swimming.

I've followed the recommendations you've all kindly given. I just wanted a suggestion of an area or place to visit that I might have driven past. With that in mind i think the motor is pointing to the Tarn valley and the Millau viaduct as the first point of interest. So with that in mind, suggestions for not to be missed places.

If I were to go to the Millau Viaduct area I would be inclined to take the old route because I would find it far more interesting ... Yes the bridge is a marvelous achievement but its only a bridge and its images are world wide...

On another tack if you find something exceptional then tell all ... but there again I always looked upon the Motor-Caravan as my adventure house where I could find those hidden treasures where no other had been.

I recall one venture where I turned off a road just to see what was there and soon found a quiet area to park for the night, on these occasions I usually walk off to one side and listen but here I could sense it was wild boar territory and if with young it could be a mite dangerous one.

Vernon - 2019-08-24 3:02 PM

I've followed the recommendations you've all kindly given. I just wanted a suggestion of an area or place to visit that I might have driven past. With that in mind i think the motor is pointing to the Tarn valley and the Millau viaduct as the first point of interest. So with that in mind, suggestions for not to be missed places.

Not too far away is St Eulalie le Cernon a small ancient town that was one of the main Knights Templer's strongholds in that region. There is a quiet aire just on the edge of town. Also, In the general region:

Conques & St Cirq Lapopie - both ancient bastide towns, rated Beaux Vllages with lots of historical stuff to see. In St Cirq Lapopie the restaurant Le Cantou opposite the wood turners up a few steps is superb. There are riverside walks if you prefer to avid the steep narrow streets. At Conques there is a municipal camp site used by the St Jaques pilgrims and at St Cirq Lapopie you have a choice of basic aire or camp site. For the small extra charge we prefer the camp site.

From St Cirq Lapopie you can follow the beautiful Celle Valley to Figeas an interesting town that is as authentically French as you will find these days. There is a basic aire just above the town but may not be available due to markets, fetes, etc. Or take the route via the Lot Valley to Cajarc where you can dine very well for reasonable prices, stroll or cycle along the riverside paths. There is a basic aire and a municipal camp site at Cajarc. Again, for the money we choose the latter and dine at the Jeu de Quilles or La Pause which are both excellent.

Heading back north you can stop at Martel, a quiet little market town (markets Wed & Sat mornings) with a good restaurant in the town square 'Le Plein Sud'. Or stop off at Gluges in the free aire at the side of the River Dordogne or in the municipal camp site at the other side of the river. You can hire a canoe and spend the day drifting downstream to Creysse and they will come to collect you at a pre-arranged time. From there it is a short drive to Rocamadour which is a 'must see' on the tourist route and the Goufre de Padirac, a massive underground cave system that offers welcome coolness in this hot weather.

That should keep you busy for a while.

We went down to the Gorge du Tarn area last year between 5th and 26th September.

Started off at Florac which is a lovely town - picked up lots of tourist info - stayed at Camping du Pont du Tarn.

West to Sainte Enimie another picturesque town and walked up to the Hermitage. Stayed at Nature & Rivieries.

South West to La Malene - on the way took a turnoff that went through a tunnel and over a small bridge to a fantastic little village where we walked down by the river. At La Malene we took a boat trip down the river - well worth it.Stayed at Camping Municipal in La Malene and walked into town for a pizza.

South West to Le Rozier stopping off at Point Sublime (great view of Gorge du Tarn) then a walk around town. Stayed at Camping Municipal de Brouillet with a pool. Next day walked in the spectacular Chaos de Moutpeilier Vieaux.

East to Meyrueils through the wonderful Gorge de Jontae and visited some caves. Stayed at Camping a la Cascada.

North back up to Florac staying st the same site as before. Went on another cave visit on the way - one of the best we have visited. Next day walked around the Chaos du Nimes le Vieux.

South East down to St Jean du Gard stopping at Barre en Cevennes for a walk - lovely villages and crags. Next day took a trip on a very sooty steam train - great. Stayed at Mas de la Can.

Next day we started making our way back north and home stopping at Murat which is a volcanic area. Stayed at Camping le Beldisse.

Next day walked up the Puy Mary on our way to La Burboule. Stayed at Camping le Panaramique.

Next day walked up Mont Dore. Fantastic walk.

North again to Volvic staying at Ranch de Vulcans. Took a side trip by train to the top of Puy de Dome to watch paragliders.

Eventually ended up on the coast at Houlgate and Honfluer on the way to the ferry.

It was a very full itinerary but not too much in the time allowed. Lots of fantastic scenery, sights and towns on the way. The weather was very hot!

Have fun.

Nicepix - 2019-08-24 11:14 AM

...and on the subject of Ps. Remember that in French a tyre is a punew, not a new. Of course a new punew would be new. A nouvelle punew to be more precise. But when ordering tyres in France the P is not silent as it is in swimming.

Aas one might expect, tyres in France are male - hence un nouveau pneu

Will86 - 2019-08-24 5:31 PM

If I were to go to the Millau Viaduct area I would be inclined to take the old route because I would find it far more interesting ... Yes the bridge is a marvelous achievement but its only a bridge and its images are world wide...

Images of pretty much everything touristy are available on-line nowadays, but it's necessary to actually see the Millau Viaduct (from a distance and from below it) ‘in the concrete’ to appreciate its design, immensity and how it fits into the landscape.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-25 7:17 AM

...and on the subject of Ps. Remember that in French a tyre is a punew, not a new. Of course a new punew would be new. A nouvelle punew to be more precise. But when ordering tyres in France the P is not silent as it is in swimming.

Ah,but if we're nit picking, wouldn't a Frenchman say "un pneu nouveau"?

StuartO - 2019-08-25 9:18 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-25 7:17 AM

Ah,but if we're nit picking, wouldn't a Frenchman say "un pneu nouveau"?

To be even more pedantic he would probably say "deux nouveaux pneus" as many companies will not just fit a single pneu unless the other pneu is almost nouveau.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-25 7:28 AM

Images of pretty much everything touristy are available on-line nowadays, but it's necessary to actually see the Millau Viaduct (from a distance and from below it) ‘in the concrete’ to appreciate its design, immensity and how it fits into the landscape.

I agree with Derek here - get down under the viaduct in a hamlet called Peyre, on the Tarn and sit and have a lunch on the balcony in L'Estival, a small unpretentious restaurant while the hordes thunder across the tarmac a few hundred feet above. A good view of the viaduct can be had from the Puncho D'Agast a view point on the hills above Millau and a favourite hang gliding/ para ascending spot.

I am off to France next week,and I cant decide where to go, but once I get off the tunnel I will know exactly which direction.

She will either say left or right.

We normally know what we are going to eat in the evening, but not necessarily where we are going to stay.

laimeduck - 2019-08-25 10:25 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-25 7:28 AM

I agree with Derek here - get down under the viaduct in a hamlet called Peyre, on the Tarn and sit and have a lunch on the balcony in L'Estival, a small unpretentious restaurant while the hordes thunder across the tarmac a few hundred feet above. A good view of the viaduct can be had from the Puncho D'Agast a view point on the hills above Millau and a favourite hang gliding/ para ascending spot.

We approached the bridge from Millau after driving down the gorge, went to the visitor centre, then back to the old route up to the motorway and crossed back over the bridge heading north.

As Derek says, pretty much every spot on earth can be viewed online but seeing things 'in the flesh' is a whole different experience, I'd not go down there just to view the bridge, but it's well worth making the effort if somewhere near.

When we visited the bridge we came up over it went into the viewing area weather wasn't good and the viewing platform was away across the carpark so drove over some kerbs to get to the path up to the viewing platform walked up took some photos then coming away followed the exit signs and before we realised it we where going back down across the bridge so 2 free crossings missed the tolls altogether

If we can contain Mr Ben Stokes we are in with a chance. I suspect that is a big "if"!

If I conducted a world tour of interesting bridges Millau would definitely be in the top ten. It is locked in for our next visit to France. Cheers,

Archived