Peugeot boxer egr valve problems

Pennydog

Pennydog - 2019-09-03 4:46 PM I have just had the third egr valve installed in my Peugeot Boxer based Motorhome within 12,000 miles! Help! I'm desperate. It has cost me £1,500 just for egr valve replacements!

mikefitz - 2019-09-03 8:25 PM Assuming your vehicle is fitted with the 2.2 engine, that is a Ford Puma engine as fitted to the Transit, Mike

You've not confirmed the engine in your van which is needed to offer any accurate solution

ColinM50 - 2019-09-05 6:17 PM

Am I missing something here?

You've had the same part fail three times in 12,000 miles, presumably fixed by the same mechanic and you're happy with paying him yet again to fix it? If it were me I'd be climbing the walls and looking at taking action against the garage for fitting paatern parts or incorrect parts or using an incorrect process, I'd certainly not shell out to the mech to fix it again.

I'd be livid and at the least I'd go elsewhere and want some form of guarantee or warranty.

Have you spoken with Peugeot or a proper approved dealer to ascertain the normal failure rate of this part, 'cos three in 12k miles can't be right can it?

He's probably a good honest mechanic who has done everything he was trained to do by the book.

Now he's being berated for it.

I sympathise with him because I've been in his situation myself.

All I can say is the base vehicle engine was designed for whitevanman.

Not dithering old duffers in motorhomes :D

Having the egr valve replaced 3 times in 12k miles does sugest that there may be other problems with the van and the diagnoses was incorrect. If the year is pre facelift then the poor scuttle drainage resulting water contamination of the wiring loom and ecu/fuse box, maybe causing incorrect operation of the egr and/or giving incorrect diagnostic data. Then there is always the earth strap partial failure thar can introduce all sorts of electrical faults.

It would be interesting to know the actual symptoms that lead to egr replacement.

Many of today's technicians do not have the training or experience to "think through " the situation and trust the diagnostic equipment to pinpoint the fault.

The engine and egr are Ford parts and have been used in many applications thus the control process is slightly different depending on the application. On the Transit for example, the egr went through a cleaning cycle when the engine was switched off.

Mike

Archived