Towing a car?

Way2Go

I always thought it was ridiculous to tow a car with a motorhome (why not just get a caravan?) but I see a lot of people who do. For those that do tow a car you might find this interesting.

It's translated from SWR.

"A Briton had hung his car with a trailer drawbar to his motorhome. The traffic police in Wörrstadt did not think this was right and refused to drive the man onward.

On his journey through Europe, the Englishman from near Bristol faced a special question: how to take your own car on holiday when you are travelling by motorhome? The solution was: he screwed the tiller of a trailer to his car and hung it so to the trailer hitch of his motorhome. The police officers noticed the whole thing as they drove by because they did not spot anyone in the driver's seat in the small car.

Official approval

According to the police, the Englishman was not aware of any guilt and even showed the officials a European approval certificate. According to the police, such rebuilding is actually allowed in some European countries. However, not in Germany, because the car can not be braked and the brake system of the motorhome could be overloaded especially on slopes.

Towing more expensive than the fine

For the 63-year-old vacationer, the whole thing was very expensive. The fine was because of an inadmissible towing the smaller problem. The return transport of the car by a towing company to the Netherlands was almost 1,000 euros expensive. There such devices are allowed."

276985465_towingcar.thumb.jpg.825b8551604395af831813eb24db5d70.jpg

Keithl - 2019-09-12 8:22 AM

So this begs the question, if he had functioning brakes on the car, ie overrun or electronic, then would he have been allowed to continue towing?

Keith.

My thoughts too.

We have just gone back to towing a small car - did this about 12 - 13 years ago but with a typical overrun braking system A-frame and only in the UK. Much too easy to just stop over in interesting places in Europe so never felt the need to take it. However, we are both at an age where bits of us are either seizing up,or falling off and cycling is no longer an option. Motorcycles have never been an option (20+ years on the emergency ambulance service taught me that) so, in this country, local transport was our only option. A Fiat Panda fitted with an electronic braking system is now our preferred choice - not on every trip but it's nice to have the choice. Having used it for the first time recently I have to say it is worlds apart from our old system. Technology has moved on after all.

I know it sounds counter intuitive to tow a car behind a motorhome but, believe me, having tried that and a car/caravan combination the differences in how each combination is used practically is startling. According to the manufacturers of my new frame it complies with all European directives (particularly for braking performance) and laws other than Spain. So, if I ever do get to use it overseas (big question mark over even being able to travel there soon!) I would have to be able to clearly express the differences in other systems to my own.

David

Archived