Porlock Hill!!!!!

Colin1325

Colin1325 - 2019-09-25 2:47 PM

Just on way round Cornwall in van bodmin thru dartmoor Sidmouth then headed over to minehead. anyone been thru porlock. Porlock Hill Lynmouth Lynton[/QUote]

Done Porlock hill once in a 7.5 meter ducato based motorhome never again it's not just the hairpin and steep hill but two local cars charged past as I was in first gear and controlling side slip from wheel spin now I go the long way round I suggest you avoid it and use the toll road. Just a caution caravans are advised against using it and they bend at the A frame coupling and have some pretty powerful tow cars.

No competent driver who is able to read the road ahead and who knows the capabilities of the vehicle will have any problems with any of the hills mentioned.

There may always be the unknown obstruction or unexpected hazard but nothing any modern vehicle is not well capable of dealing with in terms of power, brakes and handling if it is in capable hands.

Tracker - 2021-09-18 2:07 PM

No competent driver who is able to read the road ahead and who knows the capabilities of the vehicle will have any problems with any of the hills mentioned.

There may always be the unknown obstruction or unexpected hazard but nothing any modern vehicle is not well capable of dealing with in terms of power, brakes and handling if it is in capable hands.

There are some public roads in England you can't get through with some motorhomes.

How could they see a tight hairpin bend on a steep hill before they got to it *-)

Grumpyman - 2021-09-18 1:33 PM

Porlock is a doddle . If you want hills try the Hardknott and Wrynose pass in the lake district. or a really good one the Nam Bealach over to Applecross where you could meet the bread lorry as we did.

I found the surface at Hardknott pretty atrocious with patches galore which, due to lack of maintenance, were breaking up. It was a few years ago when I drove it so i'd hope it's been properly resurfaced by now. The other problem are the clowns coming down bank who don't give way to vehicles coming up.

Like many of us I too have driven all over the UK and abroad and like many of us I too have come across unexpected hazzards hidden by blind bends and overgrowth but just like everyone else I deal with whatever it may be and carry on - no big deal - just expect the unexpected, drive within your length of vision and know how to stay calm and cope with it.

Don't make a drama out of a crisis!

Tracker - 2021-09-19 5:05 PM

Like many of us I too have driven all over the UK and abroad and like many of us I too have come across unexpected hazzards hidden by blind bends and overgrowth but just like everyone else I deal with whatever it may be and carry on - no big deal - just expect the unexpected, drive within your length of vision and know how to stay calm and cope with it.

Have you ever been through Hardnott pass, or Millook?

Tracker - 2021-09-19 5:05 PM

No one is making a drama out of it Colin sensibly asked for advice about Porlock hill and some of us responded with our experience the thread then seemed to go off steam more like chatterbox than a sensible discussion.

Archived