Diplomats wife kills 19yr old biker

Bulletguy

StuartO - 2020-01-30 9:58 AM

it being Prince Andrew's fault that he hasn't rushed over to the States to face interogation by the FBI and claimants' lawyers .

Thats not what I said is it - although since you mention it Airmiles Andy was keen enough to rush over there when his close friend was trafficking underage girls. >:-)

Instead of being hauled off to a police station, his home searched and computers seized like we would be - the custom seems to be that his interviews are held in a palace.

Even that would be better than the 'zero co-operation' he's giving now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2020-01-30 9:58 AM

And the American lady who left the UK soon after he involvement in an RTC which killed a motorcyclist shouldn't be troubled to face justice because she, a person with no royal titles or honours, made an understandable mistake which she will have to live with, which is enough. John52 isn't particularly a fan of the US but in this case he took this position, so he's stuck to it.

The big difference you are ignoring is that, instead of his 'zero co-operation', Prince Andrew communicating with the inquiry might help to identify paedophiles and, crucially, prevent more under-age girls becoming victims to obnoxious old men.

Airmiles Andy giving evidence could help prevent more victims.

Anne Sacoolas giving evidence couldn't.

Thats the big difference here, which you are simply ignoring.

John52 - 2020-01-30 11:52 AM ....

The big difference you are ignoring is that, instead of his 'zero co-operation', Prince Andrew communicating with the inquiry might help to identify paedophiles and, crucially, prevent more under-age girls becoming victims to obnoxious.

No, I am discounting it as a likely outcome because I doubt Andrew knows anything useful at all about the supply chain of young women; he was just a useful VIP punter from Epstein’s viewpoint. Likewise I think the claimants are opportunist used-to-be-young-prostitutes rather than victims in any genuine way.

But this thread is about diplomatic immunity and driving on the wrong side of the road, rather than royal privilege isn’t it?

John52 - 2020-01-30 11:52 AM ....

Prince Andrew communicating with the inquiry might help to identify paedophiles and, crucially, prevent more under-age girls becoming victims to obnoxious old men.

StuartO - 2020-01-30 12:20 PM

I am discounting it as a likely outcome because I doubt Andrew knows anything useful at all about the supply chain of young women;

See above - I wasn't suggesting he did. But his communicating with the inquiry might help to identify paedophiles and, crucially, prevent more under-age girls becoming victims to obnoxious old men

he was just a useful VIP punter from Epstein’s viewpoint.

The Unearned Royal titles and honours bestowed on him by his mother must have opened doors for Epstein

Likewise I think the claimants are opportunist used-to-be-young-prostitutes rather than victims in any genuine way.

What other old man would get away with being questioned about raping an underaged girl allegation because she might be a 'young-prostitutes rather than victims in any genuine way.'

But this thread is about diplomatic immunity and driving on the wrong side of the road, rather than royal privilege isn’t it?

Whats the difference between Diplomatic Immunity and Royal Privelege?

Its about fleeing to another country to evade being questioned about serious allegations.

John52 - 2020-01-30 12:47 PM .... What other old man would get away with being questioned about raping an underaged girl allegation because she might be a 'young-prostitutes rather than victims in any genuine way.' .

If the police think that an allegation of rape is credible, then of course they would seek to question the alleged rapist (under caution, as a suspect etc) and Prince Andrew has already said he will cooperate if required. But AFAIK no allegation of this sort has been made against Prince Andrew by any law enforcement officers, US or UK and Prince Andrew announced recently that he has not yet been asked.

Claimants in civil cases have the obligation to prove their case (on the balance of probabilities) persuading witnesses to testify as necessary to their case but there is no legal right to drag unwilling non-US residents who are abroad into a US court for that purpose and extradition doesn't cover this situation. Prince Andrew hasn't volunteered to be a witness for claimants (and he has no legal obligation to do so) even though the claimants' lawyers are trying to corner him into doing so as best they can.

You have accused Prince Andrew of hiding behind his mother but it seems to me unlikely that he's doing this, even if his lawyers are shielding him by asserting his rights as best they can. He has of course backed off from royal duties and is keeping out of the public eye because he's brought the royal family into disrepute and this seems to suggest to me that he is, if anything, under his mother's thumb at the moment.

The prospects of getting Ann Sacoolas to appear in a UK court look slim and might eventually depend on how much public support the Dunn family will be able to raise for retaliatry action with in UK - for example for closure of US bases such as RAF Croughton or removal of any diplomatic immunity for US servicemen and their families who serve at such bases and are not really diplomats at all. The Dunn family are being remarkable demanding and persistent but eventually I think the media attention they are getting will fade away and they will achieve nothing worthwhile - and Ann Sacoolas will stay in America.

StuartO - 2020-01-30 1:43 PM

John52 - 2020-01-30 12:47 PM .... What other old man would get away with being questioned about raping an underaged girl allegation because she might be a 'young-prostitutes rather than victims in any genuine way.' .

If the police think that an allegation of rape is credible, then of course they would seek to question the alleged rapist (under caution, as a suspect etc) and Prince Andrew has already said he will cooperate if required. But AFAIK no allegation of this sort has been made against Prince Andrew by any law enforcement officers, US or UK and Prince Andrew announced recently that he has not yet been asked.

Thats about all i could find on that case too. No legal allegation/s made and no contact from US authorities. Nobody can answer what they haven't been asked. :-S

The prospects of getting Ann Sacoolas to appear in a UK court look slim and might eventually depend on how much public support the Dunn family will be able to raise for retaliatry action with in UK - for example for closure of US bases such as RAF Croughton or removal of any diplomatic immunity for US servicemen and their families who serve at such bases and are not really diplomats at all. The Dunn family are being remarkable demanding and persistent but eventually I think the media attention they are getting will fade away and they will achieve nothing worthwhile - and Ann Sacoolas will stay in America.

Given that charges have been made against Sacoolas she will be arrested if she enters UK or any other country with reciprocal arrangements (though once we become 'third country' i've no idea how far that extends).

She was foolish to leave. Had she stayed and faced justice she would have got off with a few hours community service and driving ban.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/american-woman-who-killed-north-berwick-pensioner-after-driving-wrong-side-road-spared-jail-sentence-649336

Bulletguy - 2020-01-30 4:08 PM

Thats about all i could find on that case too. No legal allegation/s made and no contact from US authorities. Nobody can answer what they haven't been asked. :-S

Given that charges have been made against Sacoolas she will be arrested if she enters UK or any other country with reciprocal arrangements (though once we become 'third country' i've no idea how far that extends).

She was foolish to leave. Had she stayed and faced justice she would have got off with a few hours community service and driving ban.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/american-woman-who-killed-north-berwick-pensioner-after-driving-wrong-side-road-spared-jail-sentence-649336

Good heavens, you do read what other people post sometimes!

I agree that Ann Sacoolas would probably have been given a light sentence if she had been prosecuted successfully and the charge of causing death by dangerous driving might even have been a clever OTT choice to make it likely that she would be acquitted. But I doubt very much if she had any say in whether and when she left the UK - she was here as the wifeof a US serviceman and the US authorities will have decided to get her out of the Country promptly and she will have been ordered on to the plane.

StuartO - 2020-01-31 9:14 AM

I agree that Ann Sacoolas would probably have been given a light sentence if she had been prosecuted successfully and the charge of causing death by dangerous driving might even have been a clever OTT choice to make it likely that she would be acquitted. But I doubt very much if she had any say in whether and when she left the UK - she was here as the wifeof a US serviceman and the US authorities will have decided to get her out of the Country promptly and she will have been ordered on to the plane.

I always read what other fm's post.....how else can an opinion be made if replying? :-S

Sacoolas quite possibly was spirited away by US authorities which imo makes the matter even worse. If disrespecting and blatantly flouting UK law is their authorities idea of a "special relationship" with this country, then i'd sooner not bother with them. There are numerous threads on sm about the Harry Dunn case and i read through quite a few tweets, some of which were from Americans....i could not find ONE favourable to Sacoolas at all, not a single tweet.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-31 3:58 PM

StuartO - 2020-01-31 9:14 AM

I always read what other fm's post.....how else can an opinion be made if replying? :-S

Sacoolas quite possibly was spirited away by US authorities which imo makes the matter even worse. If disrespecting and blatantly flouting UK law is their authorities idea of a "special relationship" with this country, then i'd sooner not bother with them. There are numerous threads on sm about the Harry Dunn case and i read through quite a few tweets, some of which were from Americans....i could not find ONE favourable to Sacoolas at all, not a single tweet.

It would seem Trumps advisers don't think a lot about UK.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/brexit-britain-trade-deal-us-christian-whiton

• 3 months later...

Latest update

Interpol have issued a Red Notice for Anne Saccolas. Whilst not an arrest warrant it is a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action.

Sacoolas will never be able to set foot anywhere outside US now, unless to face justice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-52619998

Birdbrain - 2020-05-12 8:45 PM

Has this been linked to the Tories or Brexit yet ??? ... If not , why not

Could be couldnt it. If we were not so desperate to suck up to the Americans for a deal because of Brexit maybe they would have tried a bit harder to bring her to justice.

There you go! Back of the net!

Barryd999 - 2020-05-12 10:43 PM

Could be couldnt it. If we were not so desperate to suck up to the Americans for a deal because of Brexit maybe they would have tried a bit harder to bring her to justice.

You never let us down

Birdbrain - 2020-05-13 6:20 AM

You never let us down

I aim to please. Its what I do. No, dont thank me.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-13 6:20 AM

You never let us down

I aim to please. Its what I do. No, dont thank me.

Archived