define high wind

rooster63

What constitutes a 'high' wind with regard to a wind out awning, no side walls but secured by 2 storm straps with very substantial stakes. At what point does discretion dictate that the awning should be wound in? I would guess if gusts of 40mph + are forecast the awning needs to be wound in? Or is that asking for trouble and potentially a large repair bill?

Guest pelmetman

Do you have a crystal ball? 8-) .........

Some folk watch the weather forecast like me ;-) .......

It didn't stop me from being up at 3 am trying to stop the strapped down awning from taking off 8-) .......

rooster63 - 2019-10-18 2:14 PM

What constitutes a 'high' wind with regard to a wind out awning …………………………………

Any wind that makes it ' flap ' !

We regard ours as a sun shade - and sometimes just roll it out a couple of feet when raining to keep rain from entering our habitation door.

Very rarely do we leave it out if we are leaving the van for the day - having seen what can happen to one that was.

;-)

Rooster your wasting your time by trying to decide what a high wind is. I doubt you've done much camping to ask such a question.

Wind force is impossible to understand unless you've lived in the countryside or worked in it, as you have decided to omit your whereabouts I can only assume you have no idea at all.

Forget all the forecasts, you have to personally decide on the day. You could be parked with 50 others all with their awning out with a gentle breeze wafting across the site and yet be the only one to have theirs sent across the top of your van.

Air pressure will suddenly change if a hot spot of air suddenly enters your space, it can act like a tornado just 4 feet in diameter and be gone just as quick. Do not rely on what you see others doing, any wind can be a high wind given the right conditions. Storm straps rubbish, a sales gimmick, 40 mph, could be 150 ! Your awning is a sail waiting to be filled.

Will86 - 2019-10-18 5:25 PM

Rooster your wasting your time by trying to decide what a high wind is. I doubt you've done much camping to ask such a question...

Rooster63 has been an occasional O&AL forum participant since late-2016 when he purchased a PJB “Bacca” panel-van conversion, and it will be apparent from his postings since then

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=&author=rooster63&days=&Submit=Search

that he has plenty of camping experience both in the UK and abroad.

The Beaufort Scale defines wind speed, and it will be seen fron this Wikipedia entry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

that Beaufort Number 7 relates to a “high wind, moderate gale, near gale” with the wind speed in the range 32-38mph and when whole trees are in motion and inconvenience is felt when walking against the wind. But, for leaving an awning safety extended, anything higher than Beaufort Number 3 (gentle breeze, 8–12 mph, leaves and small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended) would be just asking for trouble.

I recall a motorhome dealer telling me about a father and son arriving at the dealership, with the father complaining that an awning that the dealer had fitted to his motorhome had not be adequately attached to th vehicle. The motorhome was a panel-van conversion with a glass-fibre high-top roof and this had split badly where the awning was bolted to it. The dealer observed that the damage had all the hallmarks of the awning having been left out in windy weather and reminded the father that he had been specifically warned about the potential risks in doing this.

The father turned to the son and said “I lent you my motorhome for your holidays and told you to retract the awning if it looked like being windy, and I’m sure you took my advice.” The dealer said the son looked so shifty that it was obvious to the dealer and the father what had happened. I asked what the aftermath had been and the dealer told me that the father and son went outside, had a loud shouting-match and never returned.

I am with Keith here anything stronger than a light breeze, I have a 5 by 3 m awning and would rather wind it in than worry about it all night only to have to get up in the middle of the night to wind it in.

I never leave it out if I am not there, and very rarely leave it out overnight unless I am as sure of the weather as I can be..

These things are sun shades and nothing else and if I am not there or its dark, why leave it out and risk the possible consequences.

I was at Lincoln motorhome and music weekend, it was a lovely day so we were sat out having beer when a mini tornado swept through the rally field.

Just to say that you never know whats around the corner so keep the awning fastened down and it looks like you've already took the precautions

malc d - 2019-10-18 2:51 PM

What constitutes a 'high' wind with regard to a wind out awning …………………………………

Any wind that makes it ' flap ' !

We regard ours as a sun shade - and sometimes just roll it out a couple of feet when raining to keep rain from entering our habitation door. Very rarely do we leave it out if we are leaving the van for the day - having seen what can happen to one that was.

;-)

This ^^^^^

Also irrespective of weather i always wound my awning back in at night.

Thank you for the helpful replies, not sure why one poster has to be so dismissive. I was just trying to establish after reading an article in MMM which referred to one of the top 5 accessories to buy being a wind out awning with the caveat do not use in a high wind. What is meant by a high wind? I would like to think that I have had quite a lot of experience of camping (boy scouts and all that) and earlier this year our Cave storage tent was almost horizontal with the wind (but survived, as expected, unlike some tents and awnings, although amazingly most did), needless to say we didn't have our awning out. But on other occasions we have had the awning out and it seemed quite breezy, could hear it flapping, maybe I have been just lucky! It is difficult to know how robust wind out awnings are compared with tents and full awnings attached to camper vans, hence the post. We are planning a few days walking in Cornwall next weekend and the forecast is not so good so having an awning out would be good so when we arrive back at our van dripping wet we can shelter whilst we divest of our wet clothing to keep the van dry. Just trying to establish what is safe, so that is why I was seeking informed opinion from fellow campers personal experience.

Seen as you mention Cornwall, I'll recount a tale from early September this year. Friends where camped in Cornwall and a mini tornado hit the campsite and their six man tent containing an adult was picked up and thrown several yards into a hedge totally destroying the tent. They never found any of the tent pegs which had been used to peg out the tent!

If they had had the awning on their van wound out it would almost certainly have been destroyed as well.

I would never go away from our MH and leave the awning wound out no matter how calm the weather at the time, let alone at this time of year!!!

How about leaving the winding pole at hand in your van and the pegs for the strap still in the ground ready to quickly deploy the awning when you return?

Keith.

What constitutes a 'high' wind with regard to a wind out awning, no side walls but secured by 2 storm straps with very substantial stakes. At what point does discretion dictate that the awning should be wound in? I would guess if gusts of 40mph + are forecast the awning needs to be wound in? Or is that asking for trouble and potentially a large repair bill?

Once it starts rattling and the noise drives you nuts,would be high enough wind for me.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-18 6:49 PM

Rooster your wasting your time by trying to decide what a high wind is. I doubt you've done much camping to ask such a question...

The Beaufort Scale defines wind speed, and it will be seen fron this Wikipedia entry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

The father turned to the son and said “I lent you my motorhome for your holidays and told you to retract the awning if it looked like being windy, and I’m sure you took my advice.” The dealer said the son looked so shifty that it was obvious to the dealer and the father what had happened. I asked what the aftermath had been and the dealer told me that the father and son went outside, had a loud shouting-match and never returned.

My father's wisdom was passed to me when in a home built sailing boat ( as men of a certain age built after the war years) in particularly gusty winds and sea off Worthing seafront was;

"If the top of the flagpole and flag are touching the ground, it's time to take a reef in the sail".

Lived to tell the tale, I'm pleased to say. ( both of us !)

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-10-19 1:58 AM

Our neighbour has an Anemometer ( whirly thing with cups ) that retracts the sun awning on his house. I hane not looked , maybe there is a similar device availabile for our American cousins RVs !

Probably overkill for a mhome with a flappy awning.?

Rgds

Apparently awnings having a ‘weather sensing’ device and auto-retraction are available in the USA for RVs.

http://rvlife.com/spring-weather-rv-awning/

Guest pelmetman
tonyishuk - 2019-10-19 1:58 AM

Our neighbour has an Anemometer ( whirly thing with cups ) that retracts the sun awning on his house. I hane not looked , maybe there is a similar device availabile for our American cousins RVs !

Probably overkill for a mhome with a flappy awning.?

Rgds

We replaced our 2nd weather damaged drive away awning in Spain with a Carlight Caravan :D .........

I guess that's overkill.........But at least it should stand up to the weather, and we now have a guest wing B-) ......

Rooster your wasting your time by trying to decide what a high wind is. I doubt you've done much camping to ask such a question.

Wind force is impossible to understand unless you've lived in the countryside or worked in it, as you have decided to omit your whereabouts I can only assume you have no idea at all.

Forget all the forecasts, you have to personally decide on the day. You could be parked with 50 others all with their awning out with a gentle breeze wafting across the site and yet be the only one to have theirs sent across the top of your van.

Air pressure will suddenly change if a hot spot of air suddenly enters your space, it can act like a tornado just 4 feet in diameter and be gone just as quick. Do not rely on what you see others doing, any wind can be a high wind given the right conditions. Storm straps rubbish, a sales gimmick, 40 mph, could be 150 ! Your awning is a sail waiting to be filled.

Will ...you do make me laugh...great comedy act.

I simply try to be practical and when some decide to avoid adding their name I do get a little annoyed hence my comments. To me they have no respect for all the effort that many go to in organizing what is an excellent forum, perhaps its passing 90, who knows ? I get my new wheels next week.

Come now - you’ve used several ‘noms de forum’ over the years and your present Profile gives your Real Name as “Will Hay”, which it is not.

I’d like forum-members to append a conventional name to their initial posting on a forum thread, or to put a conventional name on their Profile (even if it’s not their genuine Real Name) as it’s simpler (and more ‘friendly’) to use that name within a discussion rather than an odd (occasionally long) user-name. I’d also like some indication whether a forum-member is female or male as, although I’m not overly fussy about being offensive to men, I do try to treat women with more consideration.

(Here endeth the lesson...)

Had mine completely ripped from the van and dumped on the ground on the other side and that was caused by a sudden gust. No wind before and no wind after just a gust. You can buy the peggy peg kits that have fittings that are left in the ground for ease of putting away and getting out again.

Archived