“EU membership costs us a fortune”

Bulletguy

We hear that all the time from Brexiteers who trot out all sorts of wild hyperbole based on little other than what their Daily Wail or Brexpress tells 'em.....so let's have a look at the facts.

**Note; very important to read the embedded links which as well as explaining in detail, also lists the funding payments made.

The Confederation of British Industry estimates that EU membership is worth £3000 a year to every British family — a return of nearly £10 for each £1 we pay in. And the budget for the whole EU is just 1% of GDP.

Each country pays a contribution to the budget proportional to its wealth, so wealthier countries pay more. The exact amount varies each year, but over the seven-year cycle 2007-2013 our net annual contribution was £3.8 billion, or about £63 per person. The UK’s contribution is actually much lower than other similar-sized economies such as Germany and France, partly because we get a special rebate.

This contribution must be weighed against the financial benefits of our access to the single market. In 2011, the UK government estimated this to be between £30 billion and £90 billion per year — so a return on investment of between 800% and 2370%.

Many thousands of projects in the UK benefit each year.

Once again we are seeing big bold headlines claiming massive increase in the UK’s contribution to the EU budget in 2013. We provide figures and explanations below, but first a reminder of some general points that put these figures in context:

Traditionally, the UK net contributions to the EU budget are less than 1% of UK’s public spending.

While all bigger and richer member states are net contributors, as a contribution per capita the UK is behind countries like Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands or Austria, Finland and Belgium.

Finally, the estimated benefits of EU membership for the UK economy vastly exceed the UK’s gross budget contribution, let alone its net one. You don’t have to take our word for it – the CBI estimates the direct net economic benefits alone at between £62bn and £78bn every year.

https://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/eu-membership-costs-us-a-fortune/

Ah but don’t forget ,of the money we get from the Eu two thirds of it is knocked off the rebate.

As I keep(zzzzzzzzz) saying it’s not just the money. I don’t want a Federal Eu. I don’t want a common foreign policy. I don’t want the wasteful Eu bureaucracy . I do want a common market.

jumpstart - 2019-10-20 9:05 PM

Ah but don’t forget ,of the money we get from the Eu two thirds of it is knocked off the rebate.

As I keep(zzzzzzzzz) saying it’s not just the money. I don’t want a Federal Eu. I don’t want a common foreign policy. I don’t want the wasteful Eu bureaucracy . I do want a common market.

What's your position on NATO.

Read through the embedded links and ignore the Wail and Brexpress hyperbole.

John52 - 2019-10-20 10:21 PM

wasteful Eu bureaucracy ..

Do you know what you are talking about *-)

The House of Lords alone is bigger than the EU Parliament for 28 countries!

With 800 sitting members, the HoL is second largest in the world after China.

Bulletguy - 2019-10-20 10:36 PM

John52 - 2019-10-20 10:21 PM

wasteful Eu bureaucracy ..

Do you know what you are talking about *-)

The House of Lords alone is bigger than the EU Parliament for 28 countries!

With 800 sitting members, the HoL is second largest in the world after China.

Great get rid of it....demonstrate in London then...off you go.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-10-20 8:21 PM

Finally, the estimated benefits of EU membership for the UK economy vastly exceed the UK’s gross budget contribution, let alone its net one.[/b] You don’t have to take our word for it – the CBI estimates the direct net economic benefits alone at between £62bn and £78bn every year.[/i]

https://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/eu-membership-costs-us-a-fortune/

If someone bunged me 800k OF UK TAXPAYERS MONEY I'd sing their praises too >:-) ..........

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cbi-accused-of-bias-over-european-cash-cg9s2jqdzsp

It's funny how Lord Digby Jones the former head of the CBI thinks Brexit will be great for the UK? B-) ......

Bulletguy - 2019-10-20 10:15 PM

Read through the embedded links and ignore the Wail and Brexpress hyperbole.

After 3 years I think I’ve read just about everything. Not quite sure what you are suggesting.

Archived