Info for doggy people.......

Guest pelmetman

I don't understand what all the rush to get pets tested to a new standard is about. Assuming we leave Brexit on Jan 31st with Boris's Deal we enter a two year Transition Period during which nothing much changes and we pet oners will only face difficulties if the EU Countries to which we cross the Channel or North Sea start treating UK as a "Third Country" ahead of the game.

I can understand that UK vets will recommend getting re-vaccination and a seroconversion testing sooner rather than later because a lead time is involved but really at this stage it's just a waste of money. Unless we leave the EU without a transition Period (i.e. without a deal) there is no immediate problem and your existing EU Pet Passport and three yearly rabies vaccinations (without confirmatory seroconversion tests) should remain valid.

After the Transition Period the EU might impose Third Country standards but there would be no scientific logic in doing do because the UK is rabies-free. Hopefully an agreement would be reached (as part of the Transition arrangements) to stick to what we've been doing in the past, which works very well. The EU Countries affected by this will still want our tourist GB Pounds.

So I'll bide my time and see what transpires.

StuartO - 2019-11-27 10:33 AM

(I don't understand what all the rush to get pets tested to a new standard is about. Assuming we leave Brexit on Jan 31st with Boris's Deal we enter a two year Transition Period during which nothing much changes and we pet oners will only face difficulties if the EU Countries to which we cross the Channel.........)

For the sake of clarity we no longer have a two year Transition Period. The original transition period was due to end on 31st December 2020 assuming we left on 31st March this year, which of course we didn’t. The end of the transition period remains 31/12/20 thus, if we leave 31/1/20, transition will be 11 months. In the agreement there is an option to extend transition for up to a further 24 months but Boris has ruled that out.

Peter

StuartO - 2019-11-27 5:33 AMI don't understand what all the rush to get pets tested to a new standard is about. Assuming we leave Brexit on Jan 31st with Boris's Deal we enter a two year Transition Period during which nothing much changes and we pet oners will only face difficulties if the EU Countries to which we cross the Channel or North Sea start treating UK as a "Third Country" ahead of the game.I can understand that UK vets will recommend getting re-vaccination and a seroconversion testing sooner rather than later because a lead time is involved but really at this stage it's just a waste of money. Unless we leave the EU without a transition Period (i.e. without a deal) there is no immediate problem and your existing EU Pet Passport and three yearly rabies vaccinations (without confirmatory seroconversion tests) should remain valid.After the Transition Period the EU might impose Third Country standards but there would be no scientific logic in doing do because the UK is rabies-free. Hopefully an agreement would be reached (as part of the Transition arrangements) to stick to what we've been doing in the past, which works very well. The EU Countries affected by this will still want our tourist GB Pounds.So I'll bide my time and see what transpires.

I'm Canadian and I would think that UK residents post-Brexit would have roughly the same pet rules as we have now.

1. A Canadian government certified EU Veterinary Certificate that really only confirms continuous rabies vaccinations. Here's our Canadian Government Page (with links to the EU veterinary certificate in various languages:  http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eu-non-commercial-/eng/1321396665054/1321464473817

2. Canadian dogs do not need a titres test. This is only required if you are bringing an animal into the EU from a specified country where rabies is rampant. In our case we traveled to Morocco & back from Spain - that is the only reason we obtained a titres test. So unless the post-Brexit UK demands a titres test for animals traveling from the EU, I find it hard to believe that the EU will require one for UK animals.

peterjl - 2019-11-27 2:17 PM

StuartO - 2019-11-27 10:33 AM

(I don't understand what all the rush to get pets tested to a new standard is about. Assuming we leave Brexit on Jan 31st with Boris's Deal we enter a two year Transition Period during which nothing much changes and we pet oners will only face difficulties if the EU Countries to which we cross the Channel.........)

For the sake of clarity we no longer have a two year Transition Period. The original transition period was due to end on 31st December 2020 assuming we left on 31st March this year, which of course we didn’t. The end of the transition period remains 31/12/20 thus, if we leave 31/1/20, transition will be 11 months. In the agreement there is an option to extend transition for up to a further 24 months but Boris has ruled that out.

Peter

Good. one of 17 million who voted Leave. Funny how democracy is a bit like sand, it takes a while to trickle through. But eventually it gets there. Hopefully. Dont remember all this fuss when I voted to join the 'Common Market' back in 1972 ? and I would have again if it was JUST a common market, but it isnt, is it ?

sorry to wander off thread. Glad we continue to be Rabies Free here in the UK.

ps I think you meant 31/1/21 ? peter.

Archived