Tap working the wrong way round

Bazzeruk

I'm obviously being thick about this. I cannot see how it can work in reverse, the lever, which is the same as the ones in my van, goes up and down which regulates the amount of water it lets out and by rotating the lever it regulates the mix of hot or cold water, so can somebody explain how it can be possible to be fitted in reverse please.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Steve,

If you took the lever off the tap then refitted it 180° round then down would be on and up off, but obviously the lever would now not be over the basin.

So rotate the whole tap body and lever back to its original position, the spout will rotate freely so can remain over the basin.

The tap will now appear 'normal' but the lever will operate 'wrong' to convention!

Keith.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-22 11:25 AM

If you want to get the washbasin tap to operate conventionally, just ask a friendly motorhome/caravan dealer to have a look at the tap and its cartridge and tell you what's needed to allow this to happen.

If the tap worked conventionally before the previous owner changed the cartridge, getting lt to do so again should be a simple matter.

I'm not sure it was working conventionally, Derek - the guy was very vague. For this to happen , he would have had to take the tap out - doesn't look easy!

stevec176 - 2019-12-22 12:19 PM

I'm obviously being thick about this. I cannot see how it can work in reverse, the lever, which is the same as the ones in my van, goes up and down which regulates the amount of water it lets out and by rotating the lever it regulates the mix of hot or cold water, so can somebody explain how it can be possible to be fitted in reverse please.

No - you are not being thick. It's because the body of the tap is 180 degrees and it's not a simple task to change it.

Keithl - 2019-12-22 1:45 PM

OK Steve,

If you took the lever off the tap then refitted it 180° round then down would be on and up off, but obviously the lever would now not be over the basin.

So rotate the whole tap body and lever back to its original position, the spout will rotate freely so can remain over the basin.

The tap will now appear 'normal' but the lever will operate 'wrong' to convention!

Keith.

That's the problem, Keith - getting to the tap to rotate it!

Just to make it clear to everyone - the body has locating holes for the cartridge

The basin one is reversed position by 180 degrees to the kitchen sink.

Both use the same cartridge which cannot be reversed internally as there are different sized lugs on the side.

The only thing I can do is rotate the body, which as far as I can see means removing trims.

Archived