Driving in EU after Jan 31st 2020

John52

There is a lot of on-line advice about this, but much of it covers what would happen in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit that is now most unlikely to occur.

This 20 December 2019 BBC News webpage discusses the post-Brexit transition period

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50838994

and says

Assuming the European Parliament also gives the green light, the UK will formally leave the EU on 31 January with a withdrawal deal.

The BBC News webpage provides a link to a ‘political declaration’ document

https://tinyurl.com/yxqb4znj

On Page 12 of the document there is a Road Transport section that states

The Parties should ensure comparable market access for freight and passenger road transport operators, underpinned by appropriate and relevant consumer protection requirements and social standards for international road transport, and obligations deriving from international agreements in the field of road transport to which both the United Kingdom and the Union and/or its Member States are signatories, notably concerning conditions to pursue the occupation of a road transport operator, certain conditions of employment in international road transport, rules of the road, passenger carriage by road and carriage of dangerous goods by road. In addition, the Parties should consider complementary arrangements to address travel by private motorists.

So - for UK motorists driving in the EU after 31/01/2020 - it looks like there should be no dramatic changes to the present arrangements during the transition period and possibly no dramatic changes afterwards.

As the gov.uk website has been providing advice about the potential effect of Brexit on UK motorists driving in the EU

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

no doubt the ‘no deal’ guidance will soon be revised to reflect an ‘oven-ready deal’ scenario.

Word of caution! Look at this Telegraph article: http://tinyurl.com/tr26z22 in which it is claimed Johnson wants no EU alignment after Brexit. Then go here: http://tinyurl.com/qn9mc7j and download a copy of Regulation (EU) 2019/592.

Note that the Regulation says that UK nationals will be able to travel within Schengen visa free for 90 days in any 180 day period with the proviso that the UK grants EU citizens reciprocal rights. If we do grant reciprocal rights it seems, even in the event of a "no-deal" exit, that the regulation will come into force as of 31 Jan 2020. If not we shall have to apply for, and obtain, 90 day "Schengen Visas" before travelling.

The obvious potential conflict between the Telegraph's no "EU alignment" and the "granting of reciprocal travel rights" to EU citizens will doubtless be spun on both sites, but I think it would be unwise, at present, to assume that the UK will transfer to the Schengen "white list" of countries entitled to visa waivers post Brexit, and that we may end up needing visas (French issued @ €60 a knob, visit French embassy or nearest consular office to collect).

Just when it seems to be getting clearer, the fog descends again!

, and that we may end up needing visas (French issued @ €60 a knob, visit French embassy or nearest consular office to collect).

I can't see that happening, just imagine all the 1000s/millions tourist in the summer wanting to go on holiday travelling to the embassy to get a visa, not going to happen.

the French want our tourist money as well as the Spanish

You're probably right, but don't forget this Directive relates to a Schengen Visa, not just a French or Spanish one, and was subject to agreement from the other 27 (including both France and Spain), and the Directive already exists - with that proviso about reciprocal travel arrangements being granted to EU citizens by the UK before it has force. If we don't do that, we'll need the visas at whatever cost/inconvenience.

The way things are going, I'll just wait until I see it in writing! :-)

Peter, My reading is that when visiting Europe you may well be treated like international travellers from the rest of the world - as a foreigner. You will need an International driving licence and be subject to visa regulations of the country(s) you plan to visit. It is very easy we have been doing it for years. Cheers,

My passport expires May 2020 but it was issued Jan 2010...so 10 years 4 months old at expiry.

After Brexit, I understand passports at entry to Schengen countries should have at least 6 months remaining (based on a 10 year passport), i.e. not more than 9 years 6 months from date of issue.

Think the current rules allow travel with at least 3 months remaining.

witzend - 2019-12-22 4:24 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-21 8:16 AM Assuming the European Parliament also gives the green light, the UK will formally leave the EU on 31 January with a withdrawal deal.

If not we come out with out a deal ?

I think neither of the above may be quite true. :-D

There are two things.

First, on 31 January 2020 we disengage from the EU institutions (so have no representation in the Parliament, Council, or Commission), and enter the transition period, when we enter a kind of half-world in which we are obliged to adopt whatever Directives, Laws, or standards to EU produces throughout that period, however long that may last. It will not be until the end of the transition period that we switch fully to whatever terms have been agreed and ratified on both sides for the future relationship.

There is an inference that, as elements of the future relationship are agreed on both sides during the transition period, they may, by mutual agreement, be adopted, so that we move to the new arrangements sector by sector, in stages, rather than in one lump at the end of transition. I don't think this has yet been finally clarified. Once all the sector agreements are completed (intended to be 31 December 2020) the final Treaty will be signed, and we shall move fully to the terms of the new agreement.

However, if the future relationship negotiations are agreed by both parties to have irrevocably collapsed without any agreement, we shall leave with no agreement (i.e. a hard Brexit) at that point.

Second, I have had some difficulty in trying to determine when, legally, Brexit takes place. It seems unclear what is the single event that that, legally, constitutes "Brexit". Whether it is 31 January 2020, when we move to the transition period, or 31 December 2020 (or at whatever later date transition ends), or at some unspecified point between the two, perhaps when the main items of the future relationship have been agreed and the EU accept we may proceed to enter into trade relationships with other countries, leaving only I dotting and t crossing on minor items to complete.

This bears on Directive 2019-592, which establishes the future arrangement for visiting the EU, and will come into force on the day we leave (which, as above, is not specifically identified) - but only if the UK has agreed reciprocal arrangements for EU citizens. If we grant reciprocal arrangements, the UK will go to the "white list" of countries that do not need actual Schengen Visas to enter Schengen (the Schengen Visa waiver), but if we do not grant reciprocal arrangements we do not get placed on that list, and will need to individually apply for, and obtain, formal Schengen Visas. In either case, the maximum time that may then be spent in Schengen will be 90 days in any 180 days.

At present, as members of the EU, the 90 day limit does not apply to us.

When it looked like there would be a 'no deal' Brexit the advice was that UK motorists visiting EU countries afterwards would require an insurance green card, an IDP (or IDPs) and a GB sticker for their vehicle. That's likely to be the worst case scenario for a 'deal' Brexit, but I'm sure a gov.uk webpage will provide guidance when the position is clear.

I have a green card, an IDP and my motorhome carries a GB sticker as well as its EU registration plates. I've no idea if any of those items will be required in the short term after Brexit takes place, and I certainly would not expect anyone on an Internet forum to know either.

This is the text of the Comfort Insurance email I received recently

Brexit update

At the time of writing, our advice on Brexit remains un-altered to that provided by us in October.

At present, Comfort motorhome and campervan policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union. Cover is still in place and nothing has changed. If you are intending to travel to Europe after the planned Brexit date (currently 31st January 2020), we would recommend that you contact us to arrange a Green Card three weeks before your intended departure date.

We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st January 2020.

The United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union is looking highly likely. However, it is currently unclear what the basis of the Brexit will be. We’ll let you know more as soon as we can.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-24 12:14 PM

Brexit update

We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st January 2020.

I'd take that as a given they will eventually slap a charge on! Be interesting to see if other companies follow suit but they should pass any charges on to those that voted for it and dish 'em out foc to those that didn't!! ;-)

Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 2:17 PM

Brexit update

I'd take that as a given they will eventually slap a charge on! Be interesting to see if other companies follow suit but they should pass any charges on to those that voted for it and dish 'em out foc to those that didn't!! ;-)

Surely those that voted for this shambles will not be going off to spend months touring EU countries. they will be propping up the UK economy and spending their money in Skegness or Sarfend on sea wont they? (lol)

Brexit update

Comfort Insurance used to charge a £20 fee to provide a green card, but - with the original 29 March 2019 Brexit-date looming and the likelihood that their insurees would need a green card - waived that fee.

Although things have moved on and Brexit key-dates have altered, the advice in this August 2019 Comfort Insurance blog should still be useful

https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/blog/touring-europe-in-a-motorhome-after-brexit

If a green card becomes mandatory for UK motorists driving in the EU, it’s anybody’s guess how insurance brokers will react over charging for issuing the card. I don’t see that "there may be a charge after 31st January 2020” is other than stating the obvious and, if underwriters/regulators conclude that a card should be provided free of charge, that’s what will happen.

(Can we PLEASE keep the Chatterbox Leavers/Remainers crap out of the motorhome forums...)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-24 6:15 PM

Brexit update

If a green card becomes mandatory for UK motorists driving in the EU, it’s anybody’s guess how insurance brokers will react over charging for issuing the card. I don’t see that "there may be a charge after 31st January 2020” is other than stating the obvious and, if underwriters/regulators conclude that a card should be provided free of charge, that’s what will happen.

(Can we PLEASE keep the Chatterbox Leavers/Remainers crap out of the motorhome forums...)

From past experiences Derek charge or no charge for Green Card appears to have been left to the decision of the company.....some do, some don't. My reason for going with Scenic was not only because they made no charge but also offered a wider range of countries. Imo there is absolutely no valid reason why a charge should be made as the admin is negligible. However if everyone motoring over to 'the continent' is now going to require green card to plonk their wheels on foreign soil, i can see it becoming a nice little earner generating more income for insurance companies.

Day tripper booze cruises will become history.

I'm guessing we'll suffer a year of fooling around followed by a No-Deal Crash out. So I don't think we'll need a Green Card for a year. But I have sent for one just to be sure. It was just a simple online application where they (hopefully) post me a Green Card to run for the duration of my policy free of charge. :-S

Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 7:03 PM

Day tripper booze cruises will become history.

As we will no longer be in the EU, surely the, 'duty free' allowance should be restored? As I remember duty free added up to something like £70 of beer per person per crossing (in addition there was a wine / spirit / fortified wine allowance). At the time of the loss of duty free, Fosters Lager was just about one third of the UK supermarket price when bought at the Euro Tunnel shop.

I remember seeing vans leaving the terminal with their headlights pointing to the sky.

spospe - 2019-12-29 11:22 AM
Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 7:03 PMDay tripper booze cruises will become history.
As we will no longer be in the EU, surely the, 'duty free' allowance should be restored? As I remember duty free added up to something like £70 of beer per person per crossing (in addition there was a wine / spirit / fortified wine allowance). At the time of the loss of duty free, Fosters Lager was just about one third of the UK supermarket price when bought at the Euro Tunnel shop.I remember seeing vans leaving the terminal with their headlights pointing to the sky.

Those activities are not exclusive to the channel. The ferry from Puttgarden in the north of Germany is used as a day-tripper booze cruise back to Denmark also. I was amazed that the Danes & Swedes could carry so much and still manage to not drag the rear end off their cars on the ferry ramp. cheers,

Archived