Air Bag Warning Light on

DickB

The airbag warning light on my 2013 Ducato based Adria has suddenly illuminated for no apparent reason. I have checked under the seats as advised by numerous previous posts. I couldn't find anything loose under the driver's seat, and though there is no airbag on the passenger side I found a wire with white plug not connected to anything. Any thoughts on whether this is relevant? I hope the attached photo uploads ok.

Also where is the control unit and how easy is to to remove? Not sure if it worth going down this route and maybe best to bite bullet and take the van to Fiat to check out?

Dickb

52961605_SeatPlugs2ss.thumb.jpg.d2e5777f2af1aa97756e4f8b02a1b9b8.jpg

This would be a good thread to read:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Customer-Service/53654/#M631732

The unconnected white connector is almost certainly irrelevant. The wiring loom is manufactured to cater for various options, not all of which will be fitted to individual vans and you will doubtless be able to find numerous unconnected plugs in various places around the van if you look hard enough.

The yellow connector is for the SRS wiring and carries the seat belt pretensioner on the passenger side (together with the belt fastened sensor circuit on the driver's side).

If you can find no obvious loose of damaged wiring beneath the seats (the pretensioner cables can be prone to chafing on motorhomes where they are routed through the centre of seat swivel plates and may rub on the edge of the swivel plate in use. I have shrouded mine in plastic cable sleeving) then the next step is really to get a diagnostic check for any logged fault codes unless you fancy spending money on getting the SRS ECU checked and if necessary repaired on the chance that it might be that unit which is faulty.

The SRS ECU is bolted to the cab floor panel under the floor covering beneath the centre glovebox or drinks holder unit, depending which of those options is fitted to your vehicle.

If you decide to remove it with a view to sending it to Crashdata, they will undoubtedly talk you through the procedure, but before moving or disconnecting any electrical connections on the SRS system, you should disconnect the vehicle battery and wait several minutes (I would recommend at least 20 minutes to be safe) first.

Had the same problem on my 2014 Ducato based mh. and was told to leave it for a couple of weeks to make sure it was not a false alarm. It went off and has never come back after two years.

I have been told by other users that washing under the motor with a power washer causes a problem with electrics.

Thanks for all the responses. As the vehicle is off the road at the moment I will leave things and try again in a week or so. I will also have another look under the seats, and as advised in another thread, have a good look at the seat belt buckles, though the problem only started with the passenger seat unoccupied.

I think removing the control unit and sending to Crashdata without a full diagnostic check first may well be a waste of effort and possibly money.

Dickb

I think that may be a very good idea. Scan first to get an idea what route to take (it does help sometimes)

I would check under your passenger seat again for disconnections, Disconnect your battery for 20 / 30 min before connection if you find the correct disconnection, If your not sure have a good mechanic take a look that is up to speed with your vehicle wiring, don't take chances.

Hi. The Air bag warning light came on, on my Ducato based Rapido 9048 on the morning of its mot. Obviously an mot failure, so didn't take it in. Asked at a local dealership, it would have to have a diagnostic check. It was going to take a week before they could look at it, plus 2 or 3 days to get part. I then contacted a Main Fiat Dealership. Took it in the next day, ECU failure diagnosed. Part was in stock and got van back the same day. £400 all in. Very happy with service at the main dealership North East Truck & Van

• 1 month later...

Sadly I didn't find any problems under either seat nor with the seat belts, so took the vehicle to the nearby main Fiat dealer. Airbag sensor was faulty so £390 poorer, but all now OK.

The mechanic found glowing LEDs on the instrument panel, so another £150 for repair by Cartronix. Excellent service and very quick. Now waiting for the third problem!

Dick

had a similar problem on my Ducato a couple of years ago, the Air Bag ECU is situated on the floor by the central air outlet from the heater, bought a brand new one off the net, simple to fit but, as it wasn't "talking" to the main ECU I had to go to a main fiat dealer so they could introduce them, problem solved. Good luck

Ring the fantastic lady at CRASH DATA! She told us where the control unit was, how to get it out, address to send it to her. £60. Returned mended three days later then told us how to put it back in, great lady, great company, great service, mine works perfectly now!

Ian

Archived