A class motorhome insurance

jammy

Hi all, done a quick search and nothings come up, probably asked alot but here we go anyway. End of Febuary will be living full time in recently purchased Laika 680 left hand drive motorhome. Will use mums postcode for a postal address, had a couple of online quotes where you have an option to tick for living in motorhome full time....but no suitable options for overnight. Mums in Torquay but I live and work in Bournemouth, will be occasional campsite but mostly , quiet spots in and around Bournemouth and new forest. Regarding quotes vehicle v5 states make Fiat Ducato, and of course its coachbuilt ? by Laika model is 680. On quote forms you can enter either Fiat....or Laika does it matter as they have the reg anyway. So just looking for any insurance companies people would recommend. Thanks in advance.

jammy - 2020-01-14 3:54 PM

Hi all, done a quick search and nothings come up, probably asked alot but here we go anyway. End of Febuary will be living full time in recently purchased Laika 680 left hand drive motorhome. Will use mums postcode for a postal address, had a couple of online quotes where you have an option to tick for living in motorhome full time....but no suitable options for overnight. Mums in Torquay but I live and work in Bournemouth, will be occasional campsite but mostly , quiet spots in and around Bournemouth and new forest. Regarding quotes vehicle v5 states make Fiat Ducato, and of course its coachbuilt ? by Laika model is 680. On quote forms you can enter either Fiat....or Laika does it matter as they have the reg anyway. So just looking for any insurance companies people would recommend. Thanks in advance.

I think the model may be either Rexosline 680, or Ecovip 680. Don't know if it will make a difference, but it will probably help to get the description of the vehicle exactly right - this is insurance! :-)

Sorry, don't understand "you have an option to tick for living in motorhome full time....but no suitable options for overnight." If living full time in the van then you will be inevitably be in it overnight. Have you missed something out?

Strictly, your vehicle is not a Fiat, it is a Liaka. Motorhomes are made in stages, and the Fiat bit comes first, but it is the "finisher" (i.e. Liaka) that is regarded as the Maker and it should be their name that is in the V5C against "D.1. Make". Most probably a dealer error when first registering the vehicle.

I would suggest phoning and speaking to the insurers in preference to using on-line quotations. The on-line applications don't necessarily cover all the issues that should be covered when completing an insurance proposal - and submitting a correct proposal is the foundation of your insurance contract.

My suggestion would be to phone Comfort Insurance (underwritten by Aviva) as they have been writing full timing insurance for many years, and will be more aware of any potential complications than most others. You should find you get someone who knows about motorhomes and their insurance on the other end of the 'phone! They'll complete the proposal over the phone, and will fill in the correct sections accordingly. You then get a copy back to check.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, James.

As Brian has said, you’d be better speaking to an insurance broker rather than trying to obtain representative quotations on-line.

This 2015 discussion on the MHFun forum discussed ‘full time’ insurance

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/full-time-insurance.99956/

and you will see that Comfort Insurance is mentioned by several people.

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-14 4:57 PM

I think the model may be either Rexosline 680, or Ecovip 680. Don't know if it will make a difference, but it will probably help to get the description of the vehicle exactly right - this is insurance! :-)

Sorry, don't understand "you have an option to tick for living in motorhome full time....but no suitable options for overnight." If living full time in the van then you will be inevitably be in it overnight. Have you missed something out?

Strictly, your vehicle is not a Fiat, it is a Liaka. Motorhomes are made in stages, and the Fiat bit comes first, but it is the "finisher" (i.e. Liaka) that is regarded as the Maker and it should be their name that is in the V5C against "D.1. Make". Most probably a dealer error when first registering the vehicle.

I would suggest phoning and speaking to the insurers in preference to using on-line quotations. The on-line applications don't necessarily cover all the issues that should be covered when completing an insurance proposal - and submitting a correct proposal is the foundation of your insurance contract.

My suggestion would be to phone Comfort Insurance (underwritten by Aviva) as they have been writing full timing insurance for many years, and will be more aware of any potential complications than most others. You should find you get someone who knows about motorhomes and their insurance on the other end of the 'phone! They'll complete the proposal over the phone, and will fill in the correct sections accordingly. You then get a copy back to check.

Yes thanks for reply, was getting some online quotes just as a very rough guide as to what i could be paying, the only overnight options were storage facility's or secured or unsecured farms or the postal address. Will be calling comfort insurance in the near future, thanks for the advice.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-14 5:14 PM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, James.

As Brian has said, you’d be better speaking to an insurance broker rather than trying to obtain representative quotations on-line.

This 2015 discussion on the MHFun forum discussed ‘full time’ insurance

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/full-time-insurance.99956/

and you will see that Comfort Insurance is mentioned by several people.

brilliant thanks will have a look now.

... had a couple of online quotes where you have an option to tick for living in motorhome full time....but no suitable options for overnight.

Not quite sure what you mean by overnight?

If you mean to live in overnight ONLY then surely that IS full time?

Keith.

Presumably you mean that the proposal form asks where the van will be kept overnight and gives options such as a storage compound, house driveway etc etc.

One would imagine that, if you tick the “full time” box, that would override the location box but perhaps not and that’s where a phone call can be better.

crocs - 2020-01-14 9:07 PM

Presumably you mean that the proposal form asks where the van will be kept overnight and gives options such as a storage compound, house driveway etc etc.

One would imagine that, if you tick the “full time” box, that would override the location box but perhaps not and that’s where a phone call can be better.

yes exactly that, gives option for full time live in, but then no sense in the options about where will vehicle parked overnight. Worth a phone call.

Archived