Motorhome safety

Billggski

As the motorhome shown appears to utilise the original van’s cab I’d have expected it to perform in a similar manner to a straight van cab which maybe it does. What’s particularly interesting though is the crash effect on the habitation area. Besides the fact that it appears to disintegrate and potentially create a lot of flying debris, I note that the lounge table almost decapitates the child manikin seated there. Perhaps one lesson is don’t travel with the table in place?

BruceM - 2020-01-20 6:22 PM

As the motorhome shown appears to utilise the original van’s cab I’d have expected it to perform in a similar manner to a straight van cab which maybe it does.

Yes but everything behind the van cab comes forward into it because it isn't attached like the monocoque steel construction of a car or pvc. Motorhome builders are still using the same construction the car and panelvan builders abandoned over 60 years ago.

The only who have reinforced their "A" Pillars are N+B on fiat and Iveco. Kabe sweden Also to cope whit Eland Animal. But the front runners to the chassis have crumple zones. That was not on the video what happens their.

That's a remarkably poor perfomance for both vans! The 2018 Fiat Panda received zero stars in the NCAP test, but the structure of the vehicle was hugely more resilient in the offset test than the motorhomes here. Interestingly, it was only the second car to achieve zero stars - the first was the Fiat Punto...

The levels of suspension intrusion and instability of the passenger cell are woefull - and that's before you get to the 'grenading' interior fittings and furniture. There isn't sufficient frontal energy absorption due to the short nose and fundamentally the cabin structure simply isn't strong enough. There is every sign here that you could suffer life-changing injuries at significantly less than 40mph.

I guess a lot of this is driven by the imperitive to build a commercial van that is cheap to buy and offers a competitive payload. So heavy, enhanced crash structures and passive safety measures largely get ignored.

Time for Fiat and converters to step-up I think.

Try to look on the bright side - if the MH disintegrates, it is much easier to remove what is left of the occupants. :-(

I also feel reassured to know that my MH has been fitted with an ejector seat (well actually it has two LPG cylinders located a few inches behind the drivers seat) - quite scary.

Seriously, the weight of the MH will also have a big effect on how it behaves in a crash - A 7.5t MH will have twice the momentum as a 3.75t MH at 40mph. This may account for why the A class fairs worse than the coachbuilt. The habitation "box" at the back is probably attached to the Alko chassis is a similar way on the coachbuilt and A class.

Knowing these limitations makes you a better driver (as would replacing the airbag with a metal spike).

I've not watched the video - I assumed a long while back that an A class was a pretty stupid thing to have an accident in and have tried very hard not to. Just as hard as I've tried in other vehicles for the past 55 years.

Immédiate concern when the airbag warning light comes on? It's just possible the airbag won't work, just as it wouldn't have in the first 30 years of my driving career.

Emergency Brake Assist Inoperative light comes on? How have I ever managed not to run into the back of somebody in the last half century without this essential aid?

Time to not get paranoid and just concentrate on our driving? 7

As this was done in Sweden and everyone is well aware of Volvo's reputation for pioneering safety, it's surprising Volvo haven't gone into motorhome builds. Maybe cost has something to do with it though i'm always amazed at the number of folk who shell out pretty staggering sums for what amounts to luxury caravan interiors with an engine attached.

Apart from PVC's, the only other type i'd feel safe in an accident is the type illustrated which i saw a few years ago at Dover port. The owner had purchased it for a planned trek to Mongolia. I can't remember the make but there is a company in Germany which fits these things out.....they are not cheap.

P1020726crop1.jpg.945aa8dfa28227dd5b40230414717704.jpg

The Titanic ship on his first Maiden trip sunk when hitting a iceberg.. The double floors about twelve and water doors was considered unsinkable. But it sinks when broken in two at a certain angle of water ingress at the front. They learn from it how to hit a iceberg. I learned as a former ships egineneer what propulsion he had.All steam engineering came from Belfast. And locomotives. They now take out the treasures what is rest in a newproject.

Archived