Advice on 6m MH with two dogs.

rojharris

Hello there.

We are a couple in our 50s and we're thinking of getting our first motorhome. We don't want anything bigger than 6m so we can park it on our drive. We looked at a few and really like the Bailey Alliance silver 59-2. Our possible deal breaker is that we have two labradoodles that we would want to take with us and we don't know if we're mad to even think of that! I'm picturing wet dogs in confined spaces etc. Or, dogs jumping on beds in the night... eek!

I just wonder if anyone on here has a smallish motorhome with two dogs and how's it working out?

Thanks for any help.

I've taken our two (medium/large) dogs on occasional weekend trip with a 6m van, but no longer than that. Now that I also have 2 kids I'm not in any hurry to repeat the experience. It's just too crowded and limited in what you can do. If it's a trip specifically to do something with dogs then no big deal. I know many who are willing to take dogs everywhere but I just don't see the point. It's better for everyone if they stay home (with people they know, not hotels etc.) rather than negotiating the logistics of what to do with dogs when you want to do or go somewhere dogs just can't join.

We've got two Cavalier King Charles's and they absolutely love our motorhome. I only have to pick the keys up from the hook and they're leaping about and barking like mad and as soon as I open the door, they're in and curl up on the floor "ready". We take their beds with us, just the blankets, and yes of course they get wet and a bit muddy if we let them, but we've got the seats covered with blankets and a vaccuum cleaner to tidy up. If it's really wet, we just keep them on a lead rather than letting them run free

We've done 15,000 miles in UK and France over the last three years and I wouldn't dream of going away without them. I know they're "only" dogs, but they're part of our family. We went to one site last year and as we went to book in the warden saw the dogs in the window and said they're not allowed out of the m/h. so to be polite I said thanks and goodbye, we'll stay somewhere else and she got really shirty but as I say, they're part of our family, take us or leave us. Would they say that to someone with children? Albeit some sites are adults only so I guess they do say that.

In answer to the OP, take your dogs with you, they'll enjoy it as will you.

Thanks Colin. Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I couldn't leave the dogs in kennels, they are our family and are nicer than most people! We looked at a Chausson this morning that had loads of space so I think we're going to have a go and see how it pans out.

I wouldn't want to stay anywhere that dogs weren't allowed either. We'll be mainly in France and UK so I'm hoping lots of dog-friendly places.

Cheers

We had a bigger motorhome but used to travel with 6 dogs, 4 Whippets and 2 Pugs. The dogs DID sleep on the beds, so judging from your reaction, that may be no good to you.

ps, we could not travel with kids. 8-) Been there, done that!

Two big old labradors in a 6.2 metre. No problem, curl up on the floor when driving or parked up.

Never on beds or seats, choose our stops using a filter on ACSI website.

We make a space outside using windbreaks so that they can find shade and don't need tying up.

We actually chose the layout with the dogs in mind, with a lower bunk space, but they preferred a rug on the floor.

Quite happy to stay in with water and food if we are visiting a place they aren't allowed. The alarm can be set to ignore their movement.

Love running on the beach, but big towels are used before they are let back in.

Wouldn't go without them.

Billggski - 2020-01-21 12:58 PM

Two big old labradors in a 6.2 metre. No problem, curl up on the floor when driving or parked up.

Never on beds or seats, choose our stops using a filter on ACSI website.

We make a space outside using windbreaks so that they can find shade and don't need tying up.

We actually chose the layout with the dogs in mind, with a lower bunk space, but they preferred a rug on the floor.

Quite happy to stay in with water and food if we are visiting a place they aren't allowed. The alarm can be set to ignore their movement.

Love running on the beach, but big towels are used before they are let back in.

Wouldn't go without them.

Sounds great! The more I look into this Motorhoming lark the more fun it looks. Thanks!

Roj, just to see if it fits your lifestyle, I've got two suggestions. Firstly hire one for a couple of days, just to check how they like it, worse thing is if they throw up though I'd guess they travel well in the car? And secondly we've got the NEC show back end of Feb, well worth a visit there's not only new m/h's to look at but lots of little company's offering related services and doggie products

ColinM50 - 2020-01-21 1:37 PM

Roj, just to see if it fits your lifestyle, I've got two suggestions. Firstly hire one for a couple of days, just to check how they like it, worse thing is if they throw up though I'd guess they travel well in the car? And secondly we've got the NEC show back end of Feb, well worth a visit there's not only new m/h's to look at but lots of little company's offering related services and doggie products

Good idea. I don't think we'll make it to the show as one of the dogs is still a puppy so we can't leave him in kennels and wouldn't want to. Hiring is a good idea if I can find somewhere nearby to hire from.

They do travel fine in the car though so probably no throwing up.

Did I say they were unrestrained?

Two harnesses attached to the seatbelt anchor points and they curl up in the passenger footwell.

Couldn't get two kids in there. (Although it's an idea)

The original idea was that they would travel in the lower bunk with a safety curtain holding them in, which was what I saw when we tried vehicles out before buying.

We have two cocker spaniels, who come in our van and it works well. One question is - do you want the dogs in your bed with you? If you'd like a good night's sleep, I'd suggest opting for a van with over-cab bed. If they are well-behaved, you can then leave them free range downstairs. One of ours chooses the driver's seat, the other under the table where we've put a large piece of pet bedding. If your van has fitted carpets, suggest take then out until you want it looking good when you eventually sell it! We have a few thin doormats, which go in the washing machine. You'll be taking a dustpan and brush of course?! A washing-up bowl is useful to clean up their paws outside, yet another use for the bike rack, to secure their leads on while being washed.

When travelling, as our van has two bunks across the back, we have a large cage on the bottom one for them to go in. It's on non-slip mat, as well as tied to the floor with luggage strap webbing. We also use harnesses on the back seat, which they seem to like. Don't forget a torch to find their late evening poo!

flyboyprowler - 2020-01-21 6:00 PM

Remember that it is now compulsory for dogs to be "restrained" while travelling, also in the UK! Our little feller loves the van and of course, we wouldn't leave home without him!

Really? Have you got a link to an official site about that?

ColinM50 - 2020-01-21 9:45 PM

flyboyprowler - 2020-01-21 6:00 PM

Remember that it is now compulsory for dogs to be "restrained" while travelling, also in the UK! Our little feller loves the van and of course, we wouldn't leave home without him!

Really? Have you got a link to an official site about that?

Highway code Rule 57...

"Rule 57

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58

And there are lots of references back to this rule by the likes of RAC and insurance companies...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=dogs+in+cars

Keith.

Conrad - 2020-01-21 7:22 PM

We have two cocker spaniels, who come in our van and it works well. One question is - do you want the dogs in your bed with you? If you'd like a good night's sleep, I'd suggest opting for a van with over-cab bed. If they are well-behaved, you can then leave them free range downstairs. One of ours chooses the driver's seat, the other under the table where we've put a large piece of pet bedding. If your van has fitted carpets, suggest take then out until you want it looking good when you eventually sell it! We have a few thin doormats, which go in the washing machine. You'll be taking a dustpan and brush of course?! A washing-up bowl is useful to clean up their paws outside, yet another use for the bike rack, to secure their leads on while being washed.

When travelling, as our van has two bunks across the back, we have a large cage on the bottom one for them to go in. It's on non-slip mat, as well as tied to the floor with luggage strap webbing. We also use harnesses on the back seat, which they seem to like. Don't forget a torch to find their late evening poo!

Thanks Conrad. This is great advice!

Thanks for all the helpful posts everyone, we have decided that its not going to be a problem taking the dogs, or at least the pro's outnumber the con's.

We have our eyes on a Chausson 520 that has loads of space on the floor when the bed is raised up and should still be fine for them when its down at night as it's still up off the floor.

Now all we have to do is sell all our internal organs to be able to afford it! Anyone want a brain? I have one going spare!

Cheers

Roger

Consider an external shower fitting, makes washing down dogs much easier to towel dry .

Screw-in pegs for holding dog leads are useful, the dogs can watch the world go by, without running off. Some campsites require short leads when anchored to stop dogs going over the pitch boundary.

Most dogs comply, it’s the owners ( generally ) that are the problem. *-)

Rgds

I don't want to be pedantic (as all pedants start off) but Rule 57 of the Highway Code is advisory. If you compare it to that for seatbelts, that one has MUST in capital letters and quotes the laws.

Although good practice and sensible, and it would be a factor in any accident investigation I can find no UK law that insists on it.

We have two Dalmatians, medium sized dogs but full of energy and we tour Europe with them in our 7 metre Hymer A Class without difficulty, mainly I suspect because we seek out good weather rather than cope with rain in UK. We take dog towels but rarely need to use them.

The MH has two rear belted seats and we use the sockets to secure clip-in dog leads secured to dog harnesses while travelling. The dogs could get off the settee and just about reach us in the front seats but in practice they simply lie down in comfort while travelling and spend most of the time looking out of the window and dozing.

The Pet Passport system has worked well for us and all we have had to do so far apart from keeping the rabies jabs up to date is visit a vet in France in the days before crossing back to UK to do the checks. We got into the habit of using the same vet in Chateaudun, one day’s drive from Calais, and they charge less than 40€ for both dogs. The formalities may get more complicated after we leave the EU but we’ll cope with it one way or another.

You’ll have notice that an increasing number of people carry their dogs in their car boot.

Whilst touring Germany last year we noted one motorhomer who had adapted the same approach. The motorhome boot had been adapted to be the dogs (there were two of them) kennel with an air vent in the door and bedding for sleeping on. On the outside there was a fixing point to allow for their restraint outside.

There are a number of 6m Motorhomes which have a transverse rear bed over a garage, some of which also have a door between the garage & internal space.

That set-up would allow the dogs in the garage whilst restrained but not restrict all movement & still allow them to view through the van.

Archived