Greggs "bonus" to the government!

Bulletguy

Bakery chain Greggs announced a £300 bonus for thousands of staff members – their share of a £7 million total resulting from a “phenomenal year” for the company.

Rewarding dedicated hardworking employees - excellent! Except it's not what it seems. Turns out as most of their employees are on UC any bonuses get subtracted from their benefit payments......effectively handing their well-deserved hard earned bonus back to the government! :-(

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2020/01/09/is-greggs-300-staff-bonus-actually-a-donation-to-the-tory-government/

Back in 2013 Johnson attacked the EU cap on bankers bonuses as "a vengeful attack" on London. Funny but i haven't heard him say the same in support of Greggs employees. I wonder how many voted Boris for Brexit?

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 7:54 PM

Bakery chain Greggs announced a £300 bonus for thousands of staff members – their share of a £7 million total resulting from a “phenomenal year” for the company.

Rewarding dedicated hardworking employees - excellent! Except it's not what it seems. Turns out as most of their employees are on UC any bonuses get subtracted from their benefit payments......effectively handing their well-deserved hard earned bonus back to the government! :-(

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2020/01/09/is-greggs-300-staff-bonus-actually-a-donation-to-the-tory-government/

Back in 2013 Johnson attacked the EU cap on bankers bonuses as "a vengeful attack" on London. Funny but i haven't heard him say the same in support of Greggs employees. I wonder how many voted Boris for Brexit?

As usual you just can't resist spouting outright lies to make your case. You claim that 'most' of Greggs' workers are on UC but the truth is that no one knows how many are affected.

The only fact in all the reporting on this is that the biggest union involved with the staff has only received one call from a Greggs ' employee who is concerned about his or her bonus.

You really are shameless.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 7:55 PM

As usual you just can't resist spouting outright lies to make your case. You claim that 'most' of Greggs' workers are on UC but the truth is that no one knows how many are affected.

As usual you have problems with your reading ability and basic comprehension despite your boasts to the forum about how 'clever and better educated' you are. *-)

I didn't "claim" it.......i quoted from the damn article you dummy. *-)

It's from the left wing version of the Daily Fail, the employees will get a net payment depending on their circumstances, if I as working at a branch doing the same hours as I have over past couple of years I would get the payment in full as my taxable income is below personnel allowance and I'm not on UC, and surely it's only right someone in my position should benefit most? Of cause if they don't want it just give it back to the company and I'll get a bigger dividend on my shares ;-)

colin - 2020-01-22 8:17 PM

It's from the left wing version of the Daily Fail, the employees will get a net payment depending on their circumstances, if I as working at a branch doing the same hours as I have over past couple of years I would get the payment in full as my taxable income is below personnel allowance and I'm not on UC, and surely it's only right someone in my position should benefit most? Of cause if they don't want it just give it back to the company and I'll get a bigger dividend on my shares ;-)

SM is alive with varying threads on it Colin....they can't all be wrong.

https://twitter.com/withorpe/status/1220063259295993858

and apparently it was raised on PMQ.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51208542

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 9:08 PM

As usual you have problems with your reading ability and basic comprehension despite your boasts to the forum about how 'clever and better educated' you are. *-)

And if you'd had the brains to read the numerous articles from the Guardian to the FT, you'd have read that no one has any idea how many are affected.

But as long as some tittle tattle from some leftie rag suits your case you'll parrot it as the gospel truth.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 9:28 PM

And the only proper news source in that list states that no one knows how many are affected.

Still, it's on Twitter, so it must be right!

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 8:29 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 9:08 PM

And if you'd had the brains to read the numerous articles from the Guardian to the FT, you'd have read that no one has any idea how many are affected.

What percentage of people on UC should have their £300 bonuses taken away in order to meet your approval? If investment bankers were paying 75% tax on their bonuses, do you think Johnson would be shrugging his shoulders and saying that nothing can be done about it?

But as long as some tittle tattle from some leftie rag suits your case you'll parrot it as the gospel truth.

Then it balances out with the tittle tattle from right wing rags you often parrot as gospel. (lol)

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 8:33 PM

And the only proper news source in that list states that no one knows how many are affected.

The BBC link also shows how those on UC may only get £75. Of course that could be avoided by paying people a decent wage so none would be on UC.....but we can't have proles earning a decent income can we, oh no. Got to keep the barstewards down and in their place. *-)

Due to the vagaries of the tax/ni system there will always be winners and losers, take gf and myself, being self employed on a very low income from employment I need to pay around £152 to maintain ni record, gf has retired and she needs to pay something like £870 for the same! whereas a greggs employee working part time could be on twice as much as me and get the ni credited with no payment.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 9:59 PM

The BBC link also shows how those on UC may only get £75. Of course that could be avoided by paying people a decent wage so none would be on UC.....but we can't have proles earning a decent income can we, oh no. Got to keep the barstewards down and in their place. *-)

Usual leftie waffle that has nothing to do with the the point that no one knows how many Greggs ' staff will only receive £75.

You must have read news articles, and the one proper news source that you list states that no one knows and that the union has only had one enquiry.

You however quote as truth that most employees are affected. This is typical of your long record of lying and obfuscation in order to continue what is your usual diatribe of hatred about anyone who isn't a poor downtrodden worker.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 9:09 PM

Usual leftie waffle that has nothing to do with the the point that no one knows how many Greggs ' staff will only receive £75.

You must have read news articles, and the one proper news source that you list states that no one knows and that the union has only had one enquiry.

You however quote as truth that most employees are affected. This is typical of your long record of lying and obfuscation in order to continue what is your usual diatribe of hatred about anyone who isn't a poor downtrodden worker.

So now the DWP is manned by a bunch of 'waffling lefties'? They confirmed the figure....not me you clot head. It's clearly stated in the article fgs if only you could read. Once again your long record of aggressive bullish pot pan throwing hatred against the less well off......typical self-centred "i'm alright Jack, fcuk them". :-|

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 10:20 PM

So now the DWP is manned by a bunch of 'waffling lefties'? They confirmed the figure....not me you clot head. It's clearly stated in the article fgs if only you could read. Once again your long record of aggressive bullish pot pan throwing hatred against the less well off......typical self-centred "i'm alright Jack, fcuk them". :-|

Where in your article does the DWP confirm that most employees are on UC and will only receive £75?

And where have I ever 'thrown hatred' against the less well off?

colin - 2020-01-22 9:06 PM

Due to the vagaries of the tax/ni system there will always be winners and losers, take gf and myself, being self employed on a very low income from employment I need to pay around £152 to maintain ni record, gf has retired and she needs to pay something like £870 for the same! whereas a greggs employee working part time could be on twice as much as me and get the ni credited with no payment.

Never having been in that position i consider myself fortunate Colin in that i held full time employment throughout 45 years. However i realise there are those, particularly today, that don't have that.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 9:26 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 10:20 PM

Where in your article does the DWP confirm that most employees are on UC and will only receive £75?

How might a Greggs worker's bonus be cut to £75?

To work out how a Greggs £300 bonus could be cut to £75, consider somebody earning enough to pay income tax (more than £12,500 a year).

On the £300 bonus they would pay £60 income tax and £36 of national insurance, so £204 would go in their bank account.

If they were receiving universal credit, that would be reduced in line with the taper rate, which means they lose 63p in benefits for each £1 they earn. So they would lose £128.52 of their benefits.

That means that the £300 bonus would only have left them £75.48 better off.

We spoke to the Department for Work and Pensions about these figures. They told us there were Greggs employees who would be in that situation, but not all of them.

Others may already be earning enough to have stopped receiving universal credit or they may be earning little enough to have leftover work allowances (that's the amount you're allowed to earn before you start losing benefits).

The overall tone and aggressiveness of your posts, your contemptuous disdain for those you consider beneath you, imply very much that.

From a proper news source, the BBC article actually listed by Bulletlie.

'Ronnie Draper, the general secretary of the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers union, which represents thousands of Greggs staff, told The Guardian it had only been contacted by one member of staff worried about losing out on the bonus.

He added that the union would discuss alternative ways the payment could be made if workers were losing out, adding that Greggs was a "decent company" that paid higher wages than most on the High Street.

It is not known how many Greggs staff members are on universal credit.'

So not the slave-driving wicked capitalists that Bulletlie would have us believe?

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 10:33 PM

The overall tone and aggressiveness of your posts, your contemptuous disdain for those you consider beneath you, imply very much that.

So no examples then? But I ask again, where in the article does the DWP confirm that 'most' Greggs' workers are on UC and will only receive £75?

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 9:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 10:33 PM

So no examples then? But I ask again, where in the article does the DWP confirm that 'most' Greggs' workers are on UC and will only receive £75?

Oh fgs pedantry alert. *-)

..." there were Greggs employees who would be in that situation, but not all of them".

And i've linked to that before. *-)

Now Freaky.....answer the question i asked you which you've persistently avoided. What percentage of people on UC should have their £300 bonuses taken away in order to meet your approval? Johnson kicked up a stink about bankers having their bonuses capped.....but his silence over Greggs workers has been deafening.

Take your right wing blinkers off and look at the bigger picture. The Tories keep telling us that UC is all about making work pay; if somebody works overtime/hard enough to get a bonus yet aren't noticeably better off at the end of the month then work isn't paying, is it?

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 10:53 PM

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 9:37 PM

And from the same 'proper news source'.....but the bit Freaky Frank prefers to ignore about the DWP. *-)

Even more waffle. Where have I ever denied that some employees will only get £75?

I ask again. Where does the DWP or anyone else for that matter confirm that MOST Greggs' employees fall into this category?

Stop diverting and obfuscating and back up that claim.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 10:09 PM

And from the same 'proper news source'.....but the bit Freaky Frank prefers to ignore about the DWP. *-)

Even more waffle. Where have I ever denied that some employees will only get £75?

I ask again. Where does the DWP or anyone else for that matter confirm that MOST Greggs' employees fall into this category?

Ok i get that you're now purposely trolling as i'd posted the BBC link on my third post almost TWO HOURS ago yet you're still being your usual obtuse self over one word which was corrected long back. Now wind yer neck back in and get a cold shower. *-)

What percentage of people on UC should have their £300 bonuses taken away in order to meet your approval? Johnson kicked up a stink about bankers having their bonuses capped.....but his silence over Greggs workers has been deafening.

Take your right wing blinkers off and look at the bigger picture. The Tories keep telling us that UC is all about making work pay; if somebody works overtime/hard enough to get a bonus yet aren't noticeably better off at the end of the month, then work isn't paying is it?

Bulletguy - 2020-01-22 11:17 PM

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-22 10:09 PM

Ok i get that you're now purposely trolling as i'd posted the BBC link on my third post almost TWO HOURS ago yet you're still being your usual obtuse self over one word which was corrected long back. Now wind yer neck back in and get a cold shower. *-)

From the very beginning all I have ever done is asked you to back up your claim that MOST Greggs' employees are on UC and will get a fraction of their bonus. There is no evidence for this, not one proper news source, not the union and certainly not the DWP. None of them have ever claimed that MOST employees are on UC.

But of course it serves your usual bullcrapping left-wing propaganda to suggest that all these workers are poor and downtrodden and can only survive on government handouts.

Many of them will be women shop workers, working a few hours a week to supplement what may be a good household income. Many of them will be full time on managerial salaries, many will be full-time bakers, warehouse staff and full-time drivers. You however, happily trot out that MOST are on UC. No one knows how many are on UC and it could be a small minority. And we've heard from a union official no less, that Greggs is a good employer that pays more than most.

But all this is irrelevant when it comes to your usual blather and hatred about anyone who isn't one of these exploited workers that you have wet dreams about.

So I ask again - where did the DWP or anyone else claim that MOST Greggs' workers are on UC?

It's an hour later where I am, but in the morning I would love to see either the evidence for that or your admission that you are, as you often do, repeating what you'd like to be true, rather than the real truth.

Archived