faulty dometic fridge

malcy

Hi Ive just returned from a trip from Hereford with the fridge set to12v. and it worked normally but I have since discovered that I am unable to select another source of energy.

The fridge is a Dometic RMS 8401 manual selection, automatic ignition with the push button control panel.

The problem is when switched on the selection defaults to 12v. and no amount button pushing or switching the power on and off makes any difference. So if anyone has had any issues with this model of Dometic fridge your help would be much appreciated.

BTW it is fitted in a 2013 swift escape.

A manual for a Dometic RMS 8401 fridge can be found here

https://www.caravanfridges.co.uk/pdf-manuals/rm-rms-rml-operation-manual.pdf

with operating advice beginning on Page 15.

Some trouble-shooting advice is on Pages 27 and 28.

Although Dometic AES (Automatic Energy Selection) fridges have a 15 minutes delay before automatically switching to gas operation following 12V operation, I’m pretty sure that a MES (Manual Energy Selection) fridge has no equivalent delay feature. Basically, a MES fridge should be manually switchable from 12V to gas and - if gas is present at the fridge - the fridge should immediately operate from that gas-supply. But as malcy can only get his fridge to choose 12V operation, clearly something is wrong.

malcy - 2020-01-27 7:40 PM

Hi Ive just returned from a trip from Hereford with the fridge set to12v. and it worked normally but I have since discovered that I am unable to select another source of energy.

The fridge is a Dometic RMS 8401 manual selection, automatic ignition with the push button control panel.

The problem is when switched on the selection defaults to 12v. and no amount button pushing or switching the power on and off makes any difference. So if anyone has had any issues with this model of Dometic fridge your help would be much appreciated.

BTW it is fitted in a 2013 swift escape.

It may help if you say what your van make, model, and age, are.

Ours has a Dometic RM 5380 three way fridge (one step more manual than yours :-)) with battery ignition for gas. It has CBE electrics.

I discovered last autumn that when the fridge was switched to 12V, with the ignition off, the fridge still ran.

This should not happen, as there should be no 12V cooling supply to the fridge with the ignition off. With engine running OK, as the supply effectively then comes from the alternator.

As the van was still within warranty, when it want in for its annual warranty damp check I asked the dealer (Southdowns) if they could check and rectify the errant 12V supply to the fridge. (The van is delivered as standard with a 12V compressor fridge which takes its power from the supply intended primarily for AES fridges, which need a permanent 12V supply.)

Apparently, when substituting the optional three way fridge for the standard compressor fridge that linking wire on the main CBE 12V distribution box had not been disconnected, as it should have been, thus leaving the fridge running on the habitation battery whenever "12V" was selected with the engine stopped. Fortunately, the mains charger had sufficient output to charge the habitation battery as well as run the fridge on 12V when on EHU. Knaus 0, Southdowns 1. :-D I wonder if something similar may be affecting your van?

Brian,

To be fair, Malcom did mention that his MH is a 2013 Swift Escape, but it was almost as an after thought at the end of his initial post.

Malcolm,

I am not familiar with the Dometic 8000 series fridges, but from your description of push button selection, it would seem to have been developed from the 7000 series which has a rotary selector knob.

To build from Brian's comments modern MH fridges need a separate 12V supply to operate the selection system etc.

From a quick inspection of the Swift handbook, may I suggest that you check habitation Fuse 12 (5A Tan), this is designated as Electronics / Fridge / Alarm. If nothing else is achieved, you will at least have eliminated this possibility.

Alan

Alanb - 2020-01-28 6:19 PM

Brian,

To be fair, Malcom did mention that his MH is a 2013 Swift Escape, but it was almost as an after thought at the end of his initial post.........................….Alan

To be fair, so he did! Think I'm having a bad day. :-) I overlooked that and only looked in the details panel for his van details. In that case it seems unlikely to be the cause. Your suggestion seems potentially more fruitful.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Derek that wiring diagram should be very useful.Brian

Brian The fridge has run for seven years without any problems until now, so it seems unlikely to be a manufacturing mistake'

Sorry guys hadn't finished replying, hit the wrong button

Alan I've checked the fuse you mentioned it looked OK but I still replaced it and the fault is still there.

FWIW the best way I can describe the fault is that the touch button control board is frozen. The electrical input is there but it just does not respond to any touches of the buttons.

I've just about exhausted my limited knowledge of electrical problems, looks like I,ll have to call in an expert.

• 1 year later...

Archived