Electric vans take a step forward?

colin

thebishbus - 2020-02-17 2:31 PM

. . .surely some of the h2o would be used up as motion/power,some released as oxygen. . . .

Brian B.

Dihydrogen monoxide – ie H20 – ie water, may be split via electrolysis (stick two battery terminals in a glass of water and watch watch happens) into hydrogen and oxygen. The oxygen may be used for industrial processes and the hydrogen may be used for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

It’s a costly method of producing hydrogen though because electricity is a costly product. A less costly way is to take a hydrocarbon such as natural gas and separate out the hydrogen leaving carbon in a solid form for use elsewhere. The Russians claim to have processes available to do this which given their vast reserves of natural gas puts them in a viable economic position as the world reduces its reliance on oil and natural gas (oil and gas exports being responsible for sustaining the Russian economy).

If we want energy security we will have to produce our own (expensive) hydrogen. Alternatively we can import cheap Russian hydrogen. I suspect we’ll do the latter.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Toyota Mirai has two hydrogen tanks totalling about 27 UK gallons. It has a range of just over 300 miles. Put that size tank in a (petrol not hybrid) Toyota Corolla and it would have a range of over 1200 miles - four times as far.

Also, the Mirai tanks are large pressurised cylinders weighing 87.5 kg and which need to be accommodated in a suitable space whereas with petrol tanks they can be shaped to fit into convenient spaces. I've no idea what a typical petrol tank weighs but I would hazard a guess that it is significantly less.

Trains and trucks should be able to accommodate large tanks but smaller vehicles will be more of a problem.

I'm not saying that hydrogen won't get better but at present I think there are some limitations that don't seem to be discussed.

Peter

The Hyundai Nexus has a range of just over 400 miles, still below the diesel equivalent though, for instance my Subaru SUV in theory can manage 670 miles.

A major issue at the moment, besides the lack of refuelling points is the eye watering cost to purchase one of the vehicles. Hopefully once Geely Global (inc Volvo, Daimler etc) ramp up production we’ll see reasonable cost Chinese fuel cell vehicles appear on the market to drive prices down.

jumpstart - 2020-02-19 11:39 AM

999....Hello,Ambulance?.......Sorry all our Ambulances are on charge at the moment,please call later.

Whilst the ambulances are queued up at A&E for an hour or more waiting to unload they will have plenty of time to recharge.

jumpstart - 2020-02-28 10:45 AM

May be Motorhome will take to Hydrogen as per this on trucks.

https://www.commercialmotor.com/news/buying-advice/closer-look-hydrogen-fuelled-trucks

Very interesting developments seem to be in the pipeline, I think the gov ban on petrol and deisel engines will push the technology, 'in times of need' comes to mind.

Archived