Piezo ignition on Thetford Duplex Oven

trialsrider

Hi there. Got a new oven. It is the Thetford Duplex with piezo ignition not the 12v one. Igniter on oven and grill just doesn't ignite oven or grill. It did when it was brand new. But now I've ran oven for an hour or two to get rid of that new oven smell it just won't light. Sometimes you can see a spark when the gas is not on but when gas is on it seems to disappear and won't light. If it sparks once it then won't spark again for a minute or so despite numerous presses of button. Is this ignition system similar to a spark plug where there is a gap that needs to be set? Oven lights normally if I use a lighter. Grill is the same. Any ideas ?

Hi, Having just read the operating instructions you have to hold the gas on for 10 / 15 secs before trying to light and if it doesn't light wait a minute before trying again. Possibly you're not leaving it long enough. You could also contact Thetford and describe your fault and seek their advice.

Ninian - 2020-02-04 8:56 PM

Hi, Having just read the operating instructions you have to hold the gas on for 10 / 15 secs before trying to light and if it doesn't light wait a minute before trying again. Possibly you're not leaving it long enough. You could also contact Thetford and describe your fault and seek their advice.

Thanks. Will try that

Just to confirm, do you get one click and spark for each push of the button, often with a fairly loud noise as the spring loaded plunger resets, or is it a push button giving multiple sparks when held in?

If the former then the spark gap will be fairly critical but you may also have a damaged wire to the spark 'plug' and this could have been caused by heat whilst using the oven.

If the latter then this will almost certainly have batteries of some kind hidden away, either within the button itself or maybe in a concealed 'black box'.

Keith.

Ninian - 2020-02-04 8:56 PM

Tried that just now and it made no difference. No spark. I think I'll give Thetford a ring tomorrow. Thanks anyway.

Keithl - 2020-02-04 9:15 PM

Just to confirm, do you get one click and spark for each push of the button, often with a fairly loud noise as the spring loaded plunger resets, or is it a push button giving multiple sparks when held in?

If the former then the spark gap will be fairly critical but you may also have a damaged wire to the spark 'plug' and this could have been caused by heat whilst using the oven.

If the latter then this will almost certainly have batteries of some kind hidden away, either within the button itself or maybe in a concealed 'black box'.

Keith.

It is the former.

Update. Made sure ignition gap was 4mm. It was this distance so obviously no improvement achieved. I thought it may be an earthing issue so put finger on sparker for grill and hey presto oven sparked. Put finger on oven sparker and grill sparked. So it must be. An earth issue. So What next ? Can anything be resolved without removing oven or is it an oven out job ?

Did you install the Thetford oven yourself, or is there someone else who did this and who you can ask to investigate the present problem?

Thetford’s User Manual includes a SERVICING section that says

Spark Ignition (where fitted)

Disconnect from gas supply (1). Remove appliance from housing (2).

Grill burner - Remove the screw from the bracket and spark ignition probe in the

top of the burner. Trace the electrode wire back to the generator and pull off the

connector.

Oven burner - Trace the electrode wire up the back of the cooker to the generator

and pull off the connector. Unscrew the fixing screw on the spark electrode inside

the oven cavity, then carefully pull the electrode from inside the oven and remove.

Piezo Electric Generator –Remove all electrode wires. Remove the lock nut and

carefully remove from panel

which suggests that any problems with the piezo ignition system would require the oven to be removed.

Thetford warns that the oven MUST be earthed, but I’m not sure whether - if the earthing has not been done adequately in your case - it would affect the piezo gas ignition system. There are plenty of on-line comments about Thetford oven problems, but these generally relate to the oven failing to stay lit rather than the piezo igniter not lighting the gas.

The push-button piezo igniter for our Rapido’s 2-burner gas-hob produces a very visible spark at the burner, but the burner often fails to light immediately. Although my wife manages to get the burners to light eventually by repeatedly (and vindictively!) pressing the piezo push-button, it still irritates. I’ve never been able to decide why the burners will light instantly sometimes, but are occasionally so difficult to light. I’ve tried all sorts of ‘procedural’ techniques, but none of them guarantee immediate lighting. However, as your oven won’t spark reliably at the burners, obviously lighting your oven’s burners will be much more problematical.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-02-06 8:45 AM

Did you install the Thetford oven yourself, or is there someone else who did this and who you can ask to investigate the present problem?

Thetford’s User Manual includes a SERVICING section that says

Spark Ignition (where fitted)

Disconnect from gas supply (1). Remove appliance from housing (2).

Grill burner - Remove the screw from the bracket and spark ignition probe in the

top of the burner. Trace the electrode wire back to the generator and pull off the

connector.

Oven burner - Trace the electrode wire up the back of the cooker to the generator

and pull off the connector. Unscrew the fixing screw on the spark electrode inside

the oven cavity, then carefully pull the electrode from inside the oven and remove.

Piezo Electric Generator –Remove all electrode wires. Remove the lock nut and

carefully remove from panel

which suggests that any problems with the piezo ignition system would require the oven to be removed.

Thetford warns that the oven MUST be earthed, but I’m not sure whether - if the earthing has not been done adequately in your case - it would affect the piezo gas ignition system. There are plenty of on-line comments about Thetford oven problems, but these generally relate to the oven failing to stay lit rather than the piezo igniter not lighting the gas.

The push-button piezo igniter for our Rapido’s 2-burner gas-hob produces a very visible spark at the burner, but the burner often fails to light immediately. Although my wife manages to get the burners to light eventually by repeatedly (and vindictively!) pressing the piezo push-button, it still irritates. I’ve never been able to decide why the burners will light instantly sometimes, but are occasionally so difficult to light. I’ve tried all sorts of ‘procedural’ techniques, but none of them guarantee immediate lighting. However, as your oven won’t spark reliably at the burners, obviously lighting your oven’s burners will be much more problematical.

No the oven was installed by the converter. He says he never earth's this model and this is the only oven he fits.

It would not be difficult to connect an earth lead from base of oven frame to floor of van. I may try that next. He also suggested making sure the electrode is screwed in tight. I will check that later too.

I can’t see why earthing the oven to the motorhome’s chassis would make any difference as far as the piezo ignition is concerned. As your converter does not do this when he fits the Thetford oven (and, presumably, his other customers don’t have this 'non-sparking’ issue) you can probaly forget earthing and check the electrode tightness. However, as both the oven and grill exhibit the same symptoms, it seems more likely that the piezo igniter itself is the culprit.

Archived