X290 cambelt replacement cost?

tringy

Hi all,my motorhome is now 5years old and according to the book the cambelt should be changed. I have been quoted 690 pounds from a fiat dealer,is this around the right ball park figure? Or maybe I will try an independent garage but I am just a wary of this.any thoughts please.Regards Tringy.

I have a 2014 van which I think is X250 and have just been quoted £536 to have the timing belt changed and I managed to get that knocked down to £470. I don’t think there is any difference to the X290 as far as timing belt is concerned. This is without the water pump which they said that, at 22,000 miles, it was not necessary. I go to SG Petch in Darlington.

i understood it was false economy to not do the water pump when the cambelt was being changed.... just because so much of the cost is down to labour and the bulk if the water pump replacement labour is shared with the cambelt replacement - so it might cost a bit more - but if the water pump goes, you are in it again for the whole whack

That is true Gerry but where do you stop? Some say do the water pump whilst you are at the timing belt, just in case and others say no need to change the pump if is is not leaking or sounding worn and the mileage is low. My garage said it was not necessary so I am going along with that. I will risk the water pump as it’s a risk on money but not the timing belt as the risk is the engine. I suppose I am gambling that the water pump will be OK at least until the next timing belt change. You pays your money and you takes your choice I suppose.

There was an article in the February MMM by Nick Fisher titled "Top 10 problems solved" and item 4 was "Change the water pump with the cambelt" (pages 162-163)

The bulk of the paragraph referred to the Fiat 2.3 engine and basically summed up that the 2.3 water pump was a relatively large and expensive part designed to last the lifetime of the engine, and ended "...only if leaking or damaged should it be changed."

Keith..

On-line adverts indicate that a water-pump and timing-belt set for a Ducato X250/X290 can be bought for anywhere between £118 and £230 depending on the brand, and that the water-pump alone is available for as little as £45.

Comments on motorhome forums suggest that, if a Fiat Professional agent carries out the task, the set of parts provided by Fiat always includes the water-pump. Also that changing the timing-belt and the pump may take twice as long as changing the belt alone.

The water pump is driven by the timing belt. When the belt is replaced, the idler and tensioner pulleys are also replaced, since if the bearings in either were to fail it could throw or rip the belt with possibly disastrous consequences for the engine. The water pump pulley bearing is integral to the pump, and if it were to fail the result could be similar, so it is not just a case that the failure of the pump would only necessitate the timing belt being replaced again if it needed changing.

But it is a judgement call. The pulley bearing should be assessed for play or roughness when the timing belt has been removed. If it all appears fine the only question is will it last another 5 years until the belt is due to be changed again, or do you feel happier replacing it as a preventative measure?

Archived