Twisted electric hook up.

htrevor

Alanb - 2020-02-19 2:28 PM

I am not sure what is meant by "standard plastic cable holder", but I assume that it refers to a plastic holder that vaguely resembles an "H".

I you are wrapping the cable on from one side, then every turn made puts a full 360 degree twist into the cable. Unwrapping from the same side could take the twist out, but it could have set into the cable, or you could unwrap from the other side, which will twist the cable again.

Perhaps you could try marking one side of the holder, and only use that side to wind in and out.

I use a "Cord Wheel" for our 25 metre x 2.5 sq mm csa cable. It looks a bit like an orange car wheel, with a handle in the centre, and a winding knob. The handle does not rotate when you wind in or out.

For the shorter 10 metre cable, when winding in I take one loop round the front of the coil, and one round the back. This balances the twist. Trickier to unwind, but I try to roll the cable round in my hands so as not to make it tangle.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I supplied a picture of my cable holder on my original post

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
htrevor - 2020-02-23 8:43 PM

Keithl - 2020-02-19 1:01 PM

Ditch the winder and use the 'Over-Under' technique...

I have been doing this with the same cable for over ten years and have no signs of damage or twisting.

Keith.

Thanks Keith. Watched the video and I will definitely try that method although I would rather wrap it around something if possible so that it is easier to store in my van. Also the cable in the video looks thinner and a lot more flexible than mine, so would it still work?

Trvor

Yes!

It works with any cable or rope.

Mikeandthewife - 2020-02-19 5:54 PM

Hi Trevor

Google motorhome cable tidy, it's a round circle type with handle. When it's time to pack cable away, disconnect from van and lay the cable out, the full length if you have room on the site, then reel it in onto the reel, like you would a fishing reel, no kinks, sorted.

Mike

Thanks Mike. My cable is 25 metres long. I can’t think of many sites on my travels where I can lay that out fully. Maybe in this country but not abroad where, especially in Spain where vans are tightly packed.

Kind regards

Trevor

Cattwg - 2020-02-19 2:50 PM

Another vote for the over/under method. An added bonus is that there is no temptation to leave some of the cable tightly wound on its holder. Of course, both ends of the cable must be free before any recovery is started.

If you are using a H-shaped holder then you must unwind the cable exactly as you wound it on but in the opposite direction. i.e. do not wind the cable on as if using your arm and then let the loops fall of in use, this introduced kinks every time its used.

If your cable is badly twisted then you may find the over/under method impossible to use. To try and alleviate this I suggest removing its entire length from the holder and, using a cloth, pull the cable through your clenched fist, possibly several times. With luck this will go some way towards untwisting any semi-permanent kinks.

A cable with a badly twisted sheath may well have internal twisting/damage that makes it unsafe to use.

Cattwg :-D

Thanks Cattwg

The cable is very thick and I will give your tip a go but I think I will probably ditch it eventually, buy a slightly more pliable cable and try some of the tips on this post.

Regards

Trevor

Don636 - 2020-02-19 2:51 PM

I agree with the advice to dump the cable reel, more bother than its worth. I used to wind the cable over my elbow if you know what I mean but that leads to horrible kinks. I unrolled the entire cable to get it straightened out but first softened it by immersing in a bucket of warm water and got someone to hold the other end of the cable to stretch it to its full length. I then carefully coiled it into tidy loops and make sure that I recoil it the same way each time making sure I avoid kinks by rotating the cable to make sure it loops smoothly. Every now and again I will get someone to help me pull the entire cable out straight if it does develop some kinks during cold weather. Just gone and looked at the video posted above and realised that I am not doing it that way. I basically repeat his first loop every time but, as he says, I twist the cable round if a kink develops. Must try his trick of reversing the loop every second turn - looks good.

Thanks Don

Yes the video is very instructive, think I will also give it a go.

Regards

Trevor

Trevor,

I carry two cables, one is the full 25 metres while the other is a half cable of approx 12 metres. At most sites I can get away with the shorter cable but have the long one for the odd site when I can't.

I could carry two short cables and join them to make 25 metres but some sites do not allow joins laying on the ground for safety reasons.

Keith.

colin - 2020-02-19 1:33 PM

I'm guessing that you are always coiling the cable on the cable holder without allowing it to naturally twist, you may find that you need to rotate the cable holder around it's longitudinal axis to relieve this.

Thanks Colin. After watching the utube video suggested above, I can begin to see why I have been having the problems. I will also try your tip as well.

Regards

Trevor

malc d - 2020-02-19 3:12 PM

When I first had my van I just used to coil the lead up using the " hand and elbow " method - and it used to get in a mess - very twisted.

I then bought one of those cord ' wheels ' ( round ones ) and have used it ever since - about 15 years - with no problem at all. Same 25 metre lead still in use.

( I've never seen the type in the photo, but it looks like it would be similar to winding over hand and elbow - which doesn't work ).

:-|

Thanks Malc. I think you are probably right.

Regards Trevor

plwsm2000 - 2020-02-19 4:13 PM

Particularly in winter, "Artic" cable is more flexible and therefore easier to wind than the standard PVC type. Artic cable is usually blue or yellow and is usable down to -40C. Standard PVC is more like -5C

Thanks plwsm

Regards

Trevor

Brian Kirby - 2020-02-19 4:29 PM

htrevor - 2020-02-19 12:56 PM

Hi

What am I doing wrong please? On my 3rd hook up cable. After using for while the cable starts to twist and eventually becomes unusable and I buy another. I am using the standard uk heavy duty cable at the moment and previously a medium duty one. I wind it onto a standard plastic cable holder which it just about fits, all fine at first but then slowly it becomes more and more difficult to wind. I asked one guy on a campsite for advise and he said get a thicker cable like his, so I did and bought the same cable holder, but still kinks.

Almost embarrassed to post this but i will swallow my pride if it results it an answer,??

Many thanks

Trevor

I suggest you dump what you are using in favour of something more like this (this one is 110V rated, but similar available in 240V rating): http://tinyurl.com/rer37t3.

It will be kinder to the cable and can be obtained with, or without cable. Have a look at RS components.

Thanks Brian.

Regards

Trevor

TheFrenchConnection - 2020-02-19 5:24 PM

I use the same technique as I used in my 40 years pre-motorhome sailing days.

Coil by by hand, not the elbow method which is considered very land-lubberly, using finger and thumb to put a half twist in each coil. Sailors call this a 'scotchman' for reasons no doubt lost in the mists of time.

You end up with an obedient coil which will tuck away neatly and run out without kinks when you use it next.

Hi. Many Thanks

Don636 - 2020-02-19 5:42 PM

Just tried the over/under method on the video and I can see immediately how this prevents kinks - brilliant.

I agree it looks good but would it work as well with my thick 25metre, not so flexible cable. The cable the guy was using was nice and flexible, unlike mine which is standard bought in Halfords.

Trevor

Mikeandthewife - 2020-02-19 5:54 PM

Hi Trevor

Google motorhome cable tidy, it's a round circle type with handle. When it's time to pack cable away, disconnect from van and lay the cable out, the full length if you have room on the site, then reel it in onto the reel, like you would a fishing reel, no kinks, sorted.

Mike

Thanks Mike but I don’t where on my travels I could stretch out a 25m cable. Especially in places like Spain where you can be packed like sardines.

Regards

Trevor

Will86 - 2020-02-23 3:32 PM

And yet another way of maintaining a straight cable. After using unplug the connection then 1. walk the cable to its entire length 2. start winding as normal then 3. at every complete turn 4. swing the cable over and down anticlockwise. (Forty years on site work.)

Thanks Will. Sounds too easy!

Trevor

Keithl - 2020-02-23 9:02 PM

Trevor,

I carry two cables, one is the full 25 metres while the other is a half cable of approx 12 metres. At most sites I can get away with the shorter cable but have the long one for the odd site when I can't.

I could carry two short cables and join them to make 25 metres but some sites do not allow joins laying on the ground for safety reasons.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, think I might purchase a shorter cable as well.

htrevor - 2020-02-23 9:38 PM

Les W - 2020-02-23 11:32 AM

I use one of these, never get a kink in the cable..

Link to Leisure Outlet

Thanks Les. That sounds a cheap option but how do you wind it onto the reel?

Trevor

That's the kind I've got.

You hold the black bit in the middle of the reel and turn with the black handle at the edge.

From time to time put a bit of lubrication in the ' groove ' that the black bit in the middle revolves on to keep it running smoothly.

:-|

In France it is possible to obtain extension cables (rallonges) sold for use on campsite hook-ups, with a cable-length up to 50 metres. These are usually made up of 3 x 1.5mm² cable (rather than the 3 x 2.5mm² cable that is the UK-norm) and, consequently, the weight of the cable is less and its flexibility is greater.

Cable drums (enrouleurs) are also readily available, either ‘bare’ or with the cable pre-wound on them.

Asking-prices of the cables and drums vary significantly.

(French motorcaravanners generally seem completely unfazed by having an ultra-long cable tightly wound on a drum and plugging into a EHU a few metres away from the motorhome.)

Winding and unwinding a cable over the side of a drum or similar will definitely put a twist in the cable. This is common knowledge to fishermen who always unwind a line by rotating the coil rather than unloading it over the edge.

I also question why the majority of people use plastic holders and large/heavy reels to store their cable. I wind mine up as I would do a rope. Hold loops in left hand, stretch out right hand and add another loop to the loops on the left hand. When all gathered in loops, tie bundle together with a tree tie or similar. No added volume or weight! Keep it simple.

Archived