Birmingham NEC Show

stevec176

Went to the Caravan and Motorhome show yesterday and came away rather dissapointed. Been twice before and the motorhomes and caravans were kept seperate but this year they are all mixed together and only sorted by manufacturer. Also didnt find any bargains in the accessories, one item had a label claiming a saving of 4p, wow. Mainly if you bought at the show you only saved on postage.

Wont be rushing back.

Same experience here, we were there for opening time Tuesday, Nice and quiet so had a good look at all the pvc and the odd coachbuilt, but wasn't prepared to stand in the queue for the VW grand california!

Also thought that the accessory sales were poor, only bargains I noticed were one stall had 3 waeco styled fridges ex display half price

Left around 4 o'clock and hit terrible traffic on the M6

Did notice as we left, a £77k IH van had sold, and two vw T5/6 things already sold!

Think I prefer Harrogate show

Hi.visited today, arrived 11.30 and it was busy.

I recall that this show has mixed caravans and moho’s for at least the last two years and no change in that format. That being said some halls were predominantly Moho and other areas mainly caravan which we easily avoided albeitdid look at the Eriba’s which I have always liked.

We bought a Dometic compressor coolfreeze box which I have been looking at for some time. Our existing freezer box is now 9 or so years old and has developed a periodic fault. Show Price was about 15% lower than the prices I have been tracking for last few months so we are happy.

We use the freezer box for extra space as the freezer part of our fridge is tiny. Off to Norway later in year so will fill up with meat and fish cos Norway prices are on the high side.

Overall we enjoyed our visit.

Peter

weldted - 2020-02-21 4:27 AM

Can I ask what make of freezer box you purchased? We have the same problem our new vans freezer is about half the size of our old 2012 one! So much for progress

We bought the Dometic cfx 28. Price at show £600. Previously the lowest price I had seen was £689. I know amazon is now doing at £649 but they more expensive earlier in the year.

We chose this one because:-

Works of both 12v and 240v

12v drain is low

Will freeze down to minus22c

Our last one only worked off 12v and I like the idea of using mains at campsite and my family can use when they go camping.

Peter

peterjl - 2020-02-21 8:59 AM

weldted - 2020-02-21 4:27 AM

Can I ask what make of freezer box you purchased? We have the same problem our new vans freezer is about half the size of our old 2012 one! So much for progress

We bought the Dometic cfx 28. Price at show £600. Previously the lowest price I had seen was £689. I know amazon is now doing at £649 but they more expensive earlier in the year.

We chose this one because:-

Works of both 12v and 240v

12v drain is low

Will freeze down to minus22c

Our last one only worked off 12v and I like the idea of using mains at campsite and my family can use when they go camping.

Peter

We are travelling to the NEC as we speak ( train delayed ob v ! ) we have the same Dometic and it’s brilliant , used for the first time last year in a very hot Benicàssim and it never missed a beat . Great piece of kit . Looking forward to the NEC !

stevec176 - 2020-02-22 10:17 AM

The Dometic cfx 28 is currently on Amazon for £549. Have fun at the show.

Now that’s interesting because thar wasn’t on Thursday when I searched at the show before buying however, further down the search list it’s also on amazon with Prime delivery at £699!

You pays your money and takes your chance. I am not going to worry about it.

Peter

peterjl - 2020-02-22 3:51 PM

stevec176 - 2020-02-22 10:17 AM

The Dometic cfx 28 is currently on Amazon for £549. Have fun at the show.

Now that’s interesting because thar wasn’t on Thursday when I searched at the show before buying however, further down the search list it’s also on amazon with Prime delivery at £699!

You pays your money and takes your chance. I am not going to worry about it.

Peter

No matter , you will still get great use out of it , I bought mine on a whim ( New on an eBay auction ) and didn’t use it for nearly a year and now wouldn’t be without it in hot climes . We use it mainly for drinks , dairy , fruit n veg and surprisingly , bread ( against all bread storing wisdom I believe ) . Lives outside most of the time ( bought a collapsible table for it ) and only bring it in for rain ( it’s almost silent in the van ) enjoy !

Talking to a major retailer today, he told me that the show was dire. This comes as no surprise to me with so much going on around, over which the industry has no control. The Feb Show was always the weaker proposition, strategically for buying a new van, but where does it go from here, is the big question?

We weren’t going to go, but as we approached the M42 junction we made the detour.

We’re in the process of collecting items to go in our van, which we take delivery of later this year.

Prices not very competitive for accessories. When we saw something we wanted, we googled the item to compare prices........’Show Prices’ were not cheap!

We were very pleased on the outcome of the show.

The people we engaged with were keen and a few turned into bookings on the day, plus this week we have been getting many calls and bookings, so all in all a good one. I certainly didn't feel that any of the conversations we had with prospective customers was a waste of time as such and were very engaging conversations.

We tend to find the February show better for us rather than the October show, as October tends to be all about the new models coming out. February tends to be good as people that have ordered in Oct are now getting delivery forecasts and wanting to kit themselves out with security and accessories.

NickVanBitz - 2020-02-27 3:47 PM

We were very pleased on the outcome of the show.

The people we engaged with were keen and a few turned into bookings on the day, plus this week we have been getting many calls and bookings, so all in all a good one. I certainly didn't feel that any of the conversations we had with prospective customers was a waste of time as such and were very engaging conversations.

We tend to find the February show better for us rather than the October show, as October tends to be all about the new models coming out. February tends to be good as people that have ordered in Oct are now getting delivery forecasts and wanting to kit themselves out with security and accessories.

We were going to stop and have a chat with you, but your stand had a fair few people around it, so we’ll have to leave our chat until we contact you once our van is delivered. ;-)

Archived