2020 Fiat automatic

Geeco

Hi all, interested to know if anyone has taken delivery of the latest Ducato with the full auto box. Our AT Fiat based is a 2015 model and am considering a replacement. The Ducato has performed absolutely trouble free for almost 80,000 klms so more than happy to stay with Fiat. The reports I have read suggest the new transmission is streets better than the old AMT. Understanding it is early days for the new model I would appreciate any new owner comments to assist us with a decision. Cheers,

In this recent forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Avoiding-Apex-of-Steep-Drive/54588/

Steve Warmsley says that he will be taking delivery in the near future of a Rapido motohome with the “9-Speed” transmission. So Steve should soon be able to comment.

In my posting of 4 March 2020 2:46 PM on that thread I mentioned that it is possible to access on-line the Ducato Owner Handbook that describes usage of the “9-Speed” gearbox.

Other light-reading here

https://tinyurl.com/u6dnzme

https://newyork.legalexaminer.com/transportation/auto-industry/fiat-chrysler-agrees-to-class-action-settlement-but-transmission-problems-continue-for-jeeps-others/

Gary C. I saw some tests in germany and all comments are different about playing just whit the right leg. That means that your L/R brain and eyeballs are in a different mode. Like Derek hitting traffic signs driving in the uk LHD. So test it yourselves by a dealer. Neve seen a rally car whit whit auto. It is not dynamic the revs blows up and down like a aeroplane. And do not fly whit a Boeing Max.His computer had also L/R problems And the two pilots L/R too. Cheers.

For what it is worth, I test-drove a La Strada 6.4m Ducato based camper van with the old (robotic manual) auto-box,at the 2018 Dusseldorf show. Once round the block, in traffic, and completely flat. I thought it ponderous, at best. I drove the same van, but the 2020 model with the new autobox, round the same circuit, at the 2019 show and thought it was excellent. The changes were quick and almost undetectable unless you pushed it. Smoother than my previous VW T5 (2009) autbox which I rate. Given the length of the test drive and the undemanding nature of the drive, this offers no little insight as to how it will perform in real life. But it was enough to persuade me to buy one.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-08 9:33 AM

In this recent forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Avoiding-Apex-of-Steep-Drive/54588/

Steve Warmsley says that he will be taking delivery in the near future of a Rapido motohome with the “9-Speed” transmission. So Steve should soon be able to comment.

In my posting of 4 March 2020 2:46 PM on that thread I mentioned that it is possible to access on-line the Ducato Owner Handbook that describes usage of the “9-Speed” gearbox.

Other light-reading here

https://tinyurl.com/u6dnzme

https://newyork.legalexaminer.com/transportation/auto-industry/fiat-chrysler-agrees-to-class-action-settlement-but-transmission-problems-continue-for-jeeps-others/

Yes, picking up on Tuesday so will let you know. I am a convert for automatic cars so probably not the most objective source for automatic in motorohomes. For my first automatic car I bought it on the assumption that most of the time I would be using the manual up/down option. Hardly even used it :)

I still drive manual hire cars quite often but I would far rather have the auto.

Thank you for the replies. The fully auto models are not due here until April (in the case of Autotrail) so have not had the ability to test drive at this time. With the share market down 12% since new year and the A$ almost in line with the peso A$1 = UK0.51 a test drive will be all I can afford! cheers,

Steve. look forward to your comments. Most here drive auto cars & Ducato. My last manual was a 1970something Volvo 242GT all since have been auto. I am keen to know if the auto stop can be programmed out of the engine management computer rather than every time you start the vehicle. I absolutely hate this function and for the small amount of fuel it saves it is a pain in the derriere. cheers,

I assume you are talking about a 'start-stop' system?

As I mentioned above, the Owner Handbook for 2020 model-year (2020MY) Ducatos is accessible on-line and this document has sections on the the 9-speed automatic transmission, the "Start&Stop" system, ECO mode, etc.

If a 2020MY Ducato has Start&Stop (which has been an option on certain Ducatos since the introduction of the X290 range in mid 2014) it can be manually disable/re-enabled via a dedicated dashboard button Images below).

The Handbook does not specifically state whether using that button to disable Start&Stop ‘lasts’ indefinitely, but it is probable from the Handbook information that the sytem is automatically enabled when the Ducato’s motor is started and the dashboard button must then be used to disable the system. (There is nothing in the Handbook to suggest that the Ducato owner/driver can permanently disable Start&Stop through the MODE menu set-up.)

The following Fiat Forum threads discuss permanently disabling start/stop

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/451562-turning-off-stop-start-function.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-evo/451552-start-stop-disable.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-evo/419842-permanently-disable-start-stop.html

but I think it will be necessary to ask a Fiat Professional agent if ‘permanent’ disablement via software inrtervention is possible, or if there is an ‘owner/driver’ method that can be employed that is not covered in the Ducato Handbook.

716046836_startstop0.png.5835d3e8e494429658501dfd80aac823.png

257983882_starttstop1.png.7a013c64468b99ffd4da4638f2a192d2.png

1315377392_startstop2.png.6f567f3510b806de7649d2179e9c308a.png

Thanks Derek I do watch the Fiat Uk forum for relevant info but generally only search the Ducato section so your links were helpful.

Re the stop/start function I have had experience with several cars, BMW X1 in Netherlands my daughter's LandRover Sports,, and our last rental a Peugeot 5008 in the UK and they have all been ok at shutting down but not so nice restarting with too much vibration. I do have a close contact in a Fiat Professional dealership service section so will investigate more when the time is right. Cheers,,

On the subject of Start&Stop I test drove a 2020MY Adria the other day, fitted with the 160bhp engine with smart alternator and Start&Stop.

It was quite a long test drive, perhaps 20 miles, including some cross-town driving, dual carriageway and country lanes. I didn't realise that Start&Stop was fitted until it first engaged as we stopped at the traffic lights waiting to turn back into the dealer's premises at the end of the test. Presumably it doesn't engage until battery voltage is above a certain threshold?

The Adria was fitted with the 'mandatory option' (curious terminology) of a B2B charger and I presume that while the hab battery is taking charge via the B2B that will also draw down the starter battery battery voltage enough to prevent Start&Stop engaging.

It'll be interesting to see how other converters tackle the smart alternator and Start&Stop functions - I'd think that B2B charging will be a popular route to take.

Steve928 - 2020-03-09 10:01 AM

On the subject of Start&Stop I test drove a 2020MY Adria the other day, fitted with the 160bhp engine with smart alternator and Start&Stop.

It was quite a long test drive, perhaps 20 miles, including some cross-town driving, dual carriageway and country lanes. I didn't realise that Start&Stop was fitted until it first engaged as we stopped at the traffic lights waiting to turn back into the dealer's premises at the end of the test. Presumably it doesn't engage until battery voltage is above a certain threshold?

Start/Stop systems are usually ECU controlled, and a battery sensing system forms part of the information that the vehicle uses to determine when to use or deactivate the system. It would certainly be likely that any heavy load on the vehicle battery such as applied by a B2B charger could cause the start/stop system to be disabled whilst the charger is in operation.

I'm not familiar with the Ducato system, but on my Volvo there are more than 20 reasons as to why the start/stop system will be disabled listed in the handbook, together with a number of reasons as to why the engine might suddenly restart after being auto-stopped even though the driver has not made any attempt to continue the journey.

As for permanently disabling the system, again I have no idea of Fiat's stance but it may depend on how the vehicles have been emissions rated, which is the case for Volvo. Prior to (I think) 2019MY, Volvo will not disable the system on any of their cars because they were rated for emissions on the basis of the start/stop system being permanently operational. Apparently newer cars have been emissions rated without reference to the start/stop system and Volvo have introduced a software update that allows the system to default to its last status, i.e. if the driver disables it via the dash button it will stay disabled on subsequent restarts unless it has been switched on again by the driver.

Volvo won't apply that update to older cars, but it is physically possible as I have reprogrammed my 2017 car to work as described above using a third party Volvo equivalent of MultiEcuScan.

I would imagine if a similar third party change was to be made available for the Ducato, it would probably appear in AlfaOBD software, as that is more geared towards configuration changes not supported by the manufacturer than MultiEcuScan. The ability doesn't exist in the software at present though.

The “Start&Stop System” part of the 2020MY Ducato Owner Handbook covers more than two pages and includes two sections. One section lists 10 conditions when the (enabled) system wll not stop the motor and the other section lists 5 conditions when the system may automatically restart the motor.

Archived