V5C date of first registration

Steve928

I received the V5C for our new van today.

We requested registration from 17/3/2020.

Under 'B Date of first registration' it states 04 03 2020

Under 'B.1 Date of first registration in the UK' it states the expected 17 03 2020

I'm just wondering where 4/3/2020 has come from given that it's a new van that has been in the UK since late 2018. I've not bought a foreign van before so perhaps this is normal for some reason that I can't think of. When we collected it on 20/3 it wasn't showing as registered on DVLA's online Vehicle Search - it appeared circa the 24th.

Any ideas?

Yes, quite possibly as I signed the order and paid a small deposit on the 3rd.and were given the reg. number then.

That's no different to what I've done in the past though and I've not had this disparity between B and B.1 on previous vans' V5Cs.

If a secondhand vehicle were to be imported to the UK, it’s to be expected that the date in the 'B Date of first registration’ would be prior to the date in 'B.1 Date of first registration in the UK’, but it’s not easy to know what has happened in your case.

It’s perhaps worth saying that this sort of disparity seems to have been quite common with kit cars based on a ‘donor’ vehicle and with classic cars, and I’ve seen it suggested that it can occur when a written-off car is put back on the road.

The B and B.1 fields on my Rapido’s V5C carry the same date. The V5C for my 2005 self-imported Hobby motorhome (that had been temporarily registered in Germany) MIGHT have had different dates but, if it did, I never noticed.

Hi

I received my v5c yesterday the date of first reg at b and b1 both the same 17/03/2020. I knew the reg number before the vehicle was registered (was given a choice of about 15 numbers) The dealer rang me on the Friday before pick up on the 17-03-20 to say they had taxed it that afternoon all was ok for collection on the Tuesday.

Paul

Keithl - 2020-04-01 9:15 PM

So which date do they use to determine your rate of VED?

I sincerely hope the later and that you got away with the graduated rate and not the eye watering luxury vehicle rate.

Keith.

A fair point as 12 March 2020 was a significant date for motorhome Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).

(I’m certain that, if Steve had been asked to pay an ‘emissions’ VED rate using the 04 03 2020 date, he would have been very unhappy!)

Keithl - 2020-04-01 9:15 PM

So which date do they use to determine your rate of VED?

I sincerely hope the later and that you got away with the graduated rate and not the eye watering luxury vehicle rate.

Keith.

It's a Euro6B van with no CO2 value recorded on its CoC and V5C so was always going to be at the PHGV VED rate with no luxury tax payable irrespective of date of registration.

Which is not to say that the CO2-related VED and luxury tax didn't play a part in our purchasing decision; I was happy to find a van that we liked at a price we liked from Euro6B stock but of course having 'done the deal' the situation was revoked in the budget, but even with the benefit of a crystal ball we would have bought this same van.

paul2 - 2020-04-01 11:34 PM

Hi

I received my v5c yesterday the date of first reg at b and b1 both the same 17/03/2020. I knew the reg number before the vehicle was registered (was given a choice of about 15 numbers) The dealer rang me on the Friday before pick up on the 17-03-20 to say they had taxed it that afternoon all was ok for collection on the Tuesday.

Paul

Your situation sounds identical to mine (it could even be the same dealer..) hence my surprise at finding the 2 dates aren't the same.

The dealer doesn't really know either. 4/3/2020 is the date on the CoC, requested from Eura Mobil on the 3rd. but that's not really an explanation.

I expect it's a DVLA error but I'm not fussed about getting it corrected as it makes no difference to me.

They got the important things right, e.g. no CO2 value, plus they used the estimated/brochure MRO as 'mass in service' as opposed to the actual/weighed MRO, also on the CoC, which puts us under 3050kg for UK speed limits (if that's what mass in service could be used for, which I'm never sure about..) rather than well over.

Archived