Australia current rv position

Geeco

As I have noticed a slight lull in the amount of new posts I thought I would give you an overview of the current position here (for those interested).

You may be aware we are in a suedo lockdown in that non essential travel away from home is discouraged. Travel to work ,if still employed, to obtain food or medical care is ok. So basically for those of us with a permanent home base we are not using our motorhomes/caravans.

There are many people without a permanent abode and live full time in their vehicle and I suspect these are the people most affected by the restrictions. Many chose to "head for the bush" however they were often discouraged by small town folk from staying as the town did not want any possible outbreak of virus and certainly did not have the medical facilities of the big cities.

Many of these permanent travellers are known as "grey nomads" and enjoy a kind of nomadic life " doing the lap" ( driving a circle route around the continent) . Many like to stay in free or low cost camps often due to limited income from superannuation or Govt pensions. Over the last few weeks I have read on local forums that most caravan parks have closed to part time travellers however some have agreed to accept permanent travellers and at reduced weekly rates.

With Easter coming up there is a drive to start virtual camping in your motorhome on your drive. Connect the BBQ burn a steak and sit out under the awning with a bottle of your favourite wine enjoying the nice autum weather. Unfortunately mine is in storeage a twenty minute drive away so I will crank up the BBQ, open a bottle of wine and burn a steak but in my backyard. The benefit of a virtual experience is all in the mind. If Formula one can do it so can we. Stay safe and more importantly stay heathy until we can get back out in the playground. Cheers,

Hi Geeco

Thanks for posting, it's always interesting to hear from others around the world and how they are coping.. Love the term "grey nomad" - not to be confused with grey waste :-D

My son lives and works in Mexico (married to a mexican girl). Although they don't seem badly affected by the virus, they are in lockdown. He teaches English and has de-camped to home giving all his lessons via Skype. Food delivered by Wal-Mart. He's busier than ever now.

I'm fortunate to have my van on the driveway so able to spend the days fettling. Might even get around to installing a solar panel !!!

Enjoy your backyard and the Easter BBQ'ing. As winter approaches, for you, it maybe some time before you're able to resume touring. Anyway, we all live in hope. All the best to you and yours.

Here in NZ as in Oz there's lots of full timers on the road and with lots of campsites shut their struggling to find safe places to self isolate which require drinking water and a dump station. Keeping sites open with reduced rates while the lockdown persists in my opinion would be much safer than having van's on the road looking for dump stations and water. In some tourist areas locals have put up barricades across roads to keep campers away which is understandable as medical facilities in some areas is basic. It's frustrating not being able to use the van cos we've been having some lovely weather in the bay of plenty.

colin - 2020-04-06 12:13 PM

Friend rang me up this morning, he tells me state borders are shut.

Yes all but Victoria & NSW for non essential travel.. There are exceptions such as trucks carrying food etc, or for medical appointments.

If you do cross on your way to home base as a general traveller or motorhomer you need to self isolate for 14 days. cheers,

Had to come back early than planned from Australia 2 weeks ago. We were in Port Douglas and due to go on a trip out to the Whit Sundays. Had to cancel and come home to the UK. First world problem I know but it was a wrench leaving my daughter who lives in Sydney. It was our first time in Australia, can’t wait to go back one day. You’re a lucky man Gary, beautiful country, lovely people.

Archived