Tyre Age

niktam

I'm well aware tyres have a four digit manufacturers date on them they are on all my tyres car, trailer and motorcycle etc.

However, I cannot for the life of me find a code on my Continental Camper tyres at all not a four digit one anyway. I'm not sure if the tyres are rotational but if so then the code will be on the outside of the tyres on the opposite side of the MH?

I have Continental Vanco 2's and as they are none directional it is purely down to how the tyre fitter picks them up when fitting.

Some of my date codes are on the outside and some on the inside! But as I know they are all the same it doesn't really bother me.

Keith.

Steve928 - 2020-04-04 9:09 PM

The tyre date markings were on the inside sidewall on all 4 corners of our new van. It sounds like yours is the same. Perhaps they do it deliberately so that it isn't easy to determine the manufacturing date of the base vehicle..

"4 corners".....square wheels?! Will save on fuel I suppose.

Many thanks so it looks the the four tyres happen to have been fitted with all four codes to the inside. So they can't be rotational otherwise the opposite tyres would be fitted the other way round to keep the direction correct.

As far as I’m aware a tyre’s date-code only ever appears on one of a tyre’s two side-walls.

There are (at least) three different basic types of tyre tread pattern - directional, asymmetric and symmetric.

If a vehicle is fitted with 4 identical directional tread pattern tyres, the date-code will always be externally visible on two tyres on one side of the vehicle and invisble (ie. on the inside side-wall) on the two tyres on the other side.

If a vehicle is fitted with 4 identical asymmetric tread pattern tyres, the date-code will either be externally visible on all 4 tyres or invisible on all 4 tyres.

If a vehicle is fitted with 4 identical symmetric tread pattern tyres, there’s no guarantee which tyre will have an externally visible date-code.

(My 2015 Rapido was factory-fitted with 4 symmetric tread pattern Michelin “Agilis Camping” tyres and all 4 tyres happen to have their date-code externally visible.)

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/directional-and-asymmetrical-tyres

When we purchased our Hymer built in 2007 the dates were not evident as all the tyres were positioned so they could not be read, i.e. on the inside of the wheel. So perhaps not a random manufacturing thing after all.

EMS - 2020-04-13 6:57 PM

When we purchased our Hymer built in 2007 the dates were not evident as all the tyres were positioned so they could not be read, i.e. on the inside of the wheel. So perhaps not a random manufacturing thing after all.

Or possibly the tyres are stacked in the factory the same way and taken off the pile the same way?

This USA webpage

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

states

"Tires manufactured after 2000

“Stamped” on the outer sidewall of each tire is its birth date in a straightforward week/year format.

My 2009 Skoda car has four Hankook tyres with an asymmetric tread pattern. This type of tyre has an ‘inside’ and an ‘outside’ sidewall and (if the tyre has been fitted correctly to the wheel rim) the sidewall that will be visible from outside the vehicle will always be the ‘outside’ sidewall. The date-code on each of the Hankook tyres is on the ‘outside’ sidewall. The Skoda had Continental tyres originally (also with an asymmetric tread pattern) and those tyres also had the date-code on the ‘outside’ sidewall. So - if a tyre does have a designated ‘outer’ sidewall - the USA webpage’s statement may well be correct.

Archived