New socket help required

Milly161

Hi everyone, just a quick question whilst I've got a bit of spare time I'm wanting to install a plug socket in one of the side lockers(cupboard) can I just install a regular house one or does it have to a be caravan/motorhome specific one , thanks

Yes, I agree with Robert, a household socket should be OK but only use flexible stranded wire to extend the circuit.

DO NOT use single core copper wire like household 'Flat Twin and Earth' as the single copper core can crack and fail with the vibrations of driving.

A good source of wire is a mains hook-up cable.

Keith.

There are several YouTube video-clips about doing this (example here)

It’s perhaps worth saying that - depending on the motorhome’s design, its present electrical system and where the additional socket is to go - this task can be simple or a real challenge.

StuartO - 2020-04-07 9:42 AM

Worth remembering that the back of a socket fitted flush on to a panelled surface (such as an under-settee panel) needs a cover over the connections behind the panel.

Also there should be effective means to ensure that the terminations are not placed under strain. With CBE and other "caravan" style sockets there is a cable clamp incorporated in the rear cover. With domestic style sockets there is no such clamp. In this case it would be necessary to securely clip the cable close to the socket, or adopt other means such as using suitable cable ties within the socket cover, so that the cable cannot be pulled out.

Alan

Archived