How to remove and reseal a fixed window?

electric_nan

Got a fixed parapress window that had a leak a month ago back when we had nonstop rain for a full month, we covered it up (as you’ll see from the photos) but it still has condensation building up in the insulation layer. Looking to remove and reseal but can’t figure out how to remove it, I thought I’d just be able to peel back the inside rubber but looks like the window might actually be sitting inside the seal as one piece. Can anyone help me identify the seal and how to remove/reseal it please?

iCloud link of photos: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0v7mg5-6F236uHvKCIYQNHp9A#Leigh-on-Sea,_England

Hi and welcome,

That looks like good old fashioned windscreen rubber where the glass is fitted into its groove then the rubber 'filler' trim is inserted into the groove on the outside.

Try prising out the rubber filler trim from the outside with a blunt screwdriver or plastic trim tool then carefully push out the glass from the inside while someone stands out side to support it.

Keith.

Yes, that looks pretty much what I was trying to describe!

As for replacement seal, you need to see what it looks like when you get it out. If old and persihed then it will have to be replaced otherwise it's really up to you.

And expect real fun and frollicks getting the old window out and even more importantly back in. It will NOT be easy if my experience with car windscreens is anything to go by!

One other option to consider may be just removing the filler strip, lifting the edge of the rubber and inserting fresh sealant, repeating for the edge of the glass, then refitting the filler strip.

Keith.

That video is a pretty good explanation.

But, he has obviously done it before and still took a fair amount of effort, skill and force to complete.

A tip, you can make the diamond shaped tool to refit the filler strip with a piece of welding wire or possibly thin coat hanger gripped in a pair of Mole grips. Make it just big enough to pass the filler strip through. Too big and you will struggle to get it around the groove.

Keith.

Archived