Suggestions for a (really) compact motorhome

jonnybeare

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mag&Hal - 2020-05-02 11:12 AM

Autoquest Avantgarde 100 and 200 both come in under 5.5m. Overhead cab sleeping for kids and a user payload ~450kgms

The Avantgarde 200 and 100 models were suggested as possibilities on the first page of this thread, but the 200 has a rear U-lounge (so 3-point seat-belts on the cab seats only) and this 2006 review is very critical of the 100’s beds.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30247-compass-avantgarde-100

I'm a bit late to this party but my experience of our Micros might still be of help to the OP. We added the official Wingamm additional berth kit to our Micros and in all honesty it wasn't money well spent. An additional cushion is supposed to add one sleeping position to the lower bed, but this doesn't work well on a bed which is already compromised in length. Two smaller children might be able to sleep on the bed thus extended, but my view is that for adults, it's a non-starter.

The additional berth kit also includes a rectangular table top instead of the oval top which comes as standard. While this might make for a better bed base, it made it near impossible to move around in the vehicle when installed as a table. We were fortunate in being able to revert to the original table top which the dealer still had.

The Micros is a delight in every other way for us as a retired couple. Best of luck to the OP in finding something suitable.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-29 6:44 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-29 5:13 PM

jonnybeare - 2020-04-29 2:56 PM................................I think of all the suggestions the Hymer Exsis SG looks pretty much exactly what we need. I think I'll try to find one to have a look around when the corona chaos is over.

Thanks for all your help :)

One for sale here: https://tinyurl.com/ydynd5mj Ledbury. Looks good on paper (but then it is being advertised for sale! :-)), and a fair price.

Two snags with the Exsis at Ledbury - it’s LHD and JB wants RHD, and it’s the SK version with three sleeping berths and JB needs four.

There’s a 2006 model-year Hymer Exsis brochure here

https://www.exsisowners.com/downloads/2006_Exsis_Brochure.pdf

and the SK and SG layouts are shown on Page 21.

……………....

I had intended posting this ea4rlier, but I've been a bit tied up! Looking at page 21 of the Hymer brochure linked above by Derek, I gained the impression that the 4th berth was an optional extra on both the SK and SG versions (the 4th berth, and extra width to create it is referenced "SA", which is noted bottom right "(SA) = optional extra", but is not stated as specific to either version). If that is a correct interpretation, I suspect the rarity factor of a 4 berth of either version will be further increased. Can anyone confirm either way?

This Practical Motorhome "Used Hymer Exsis buyer's guide”

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/50690-used-hymer-exsis-buyers-guide

reads as follows:

The layouts

Both of the Exsis variants featured the same full-width changing and showering area at the rear, including the toilet, a natty swing-out sink and a wardrobe.

A forward lounge was ahead of the centrally located kitchen.

The Exsis SK had twin inward-facing sofas, each of which could be specified as being able to be converted into a dedicated forward-facing travel seat with a three-point inertia-reel safety belt.

The Hymer Exsis SG had a shorter kitchen, a two-seat half-dinette on the UK nearside, and an inward-facing seat on the offside. The half-dinette provided two rear travel seats.

Both variants featured a drop-down over-lounge bed. An additional single (SK) or double bed (SG) could be made by lowering the permanently secured table and shuffling the cushions around.

This generation of Exsis was built on the 3500kg chassis, with the heavier 3850kg version available as an extra-cost option.

The drawings on Page 21 of the 2006 Exsis brochure clearly show the SK model’s longer kitchen and photos on Page 17 show the transverse bed constructed from an SK’s pair of settees. Logically, then, the bottom bed’s optional increase in width frpm 90cm to 115cm should apply only to to the SG model. Presumably the option would require extra cushions and support and (possibly) intrude into the area of the entrance door’s opening.

As Ruby(Exsis) owns an SG model, he may well be able to advise about this.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but after much (covid) delay we bought a 2009 Adria Twin and absolutely love it.

It turns out the compromise was length, we stretched to 6m and it just about fits behind our house, it overhangs our neighbour's garden by about 30cm but luckily they are lovely and don't mind.

Plus with some crafty placement of two storage crates and re-arranging of the lounge cushions it actually makes a second double bed for the kids.

Completely converted to van life now, going away nearly every weekend

:-D :-D :-D

Well done! Glad you got sorted! :-D

The Adria Twin is a good, highly-thought-of, van and to my way of thinking is probably as good a van as you could get/need for the job.

:-D

(At the ages you said yours were, the following will probably be too small for your children?..but still, may be of interest (assuming you haven't seen them before? - https://www.cabbunk.co.uk/# ?

pepe63 - 2020-04-29 10:51 AM

Mornin' JB..

Another possibly daft question- How do you envisage using this van, how often (and for how long each time)?

If you're thinking of touring for weeks at time (during the school summer holidays), maybe abroad, and maybe moving on every few days, then something quite small that entails you putting up awnings and/or tents will become a pain in the backside..

If on the other hand, it's just for the occasional week long holiday, with some additional "impromptu" long weekends, then a short-ish, van conversion(as I linked to above) "may" possibly do you?

But do be aware, that by the time you have loaded an awning/ tent(s), sleeping bags/pillows, camp-beds,camping chairs/table(s),4 sets of clothing, 4 lots of footwear(that will get muddy!), 4 lots of coats(that will get wet!). etc etc, you do run the risk of having a van with "facilities" that are pretty much unusable until everything is disgorged on 'site.. :-D

( we have festival friends, some of which run quite swanky VW conversions...but the things are rammed to the gunnels, when they first roll up on 'site).

..and at some point, (usually whilst wrestling with a awning/ tent in the wind/rain) you will ask yourself ".. why have we spent XX 1000s on a ******* motorhome, only to end up putting a ****** tent up!?..." (lol) )

£20-25000 could get a decent sized,over-cab "family van"(possibly with bunk beds)? Obviously that wouldn't be as versatile(or as "cool"?) as a small van conversion,but until I'd explored the availability/cost of storage, I wouldn't fully rule one out..?

It all depends on what you actually "want"?

(but want we "want", is not always the same as what we "need")

I have a La Strada Trento with a pull down bed and double bed below. Has a shower and toilet. Been brilliant and it is 5.6 meters long. If you want to use it abroad you need it to be self contained. The French for example let you pull up at any aire and let you stay overnight.

So consider vans, but will be difficult given your dimensions. Autosleeper Symbol is compact.

Archived