COVID-19 vs the Economy

Bulletguy

Regardless of the source of the article or whether the Tories are dependent on backers that are desperate to get the economy going or not (lets face it, they are) its an important decision to make and I wouldn't like to have to make it.

We should all think ourselves lucky that it wont be us getting pushed back in to work to get it going again. There has to come a point though where its more important to get things moving again than to lock down and save people from the risk of the coronavirus as long term a shattered economy will cost many more lives. Johnsons "Take it on the chin" gaff may have to for some become the reality. We cannot lock away for ever. Its scary as hell as what if we all go back to work and the second wave is worse than the first which seemed to be the case with the Spanish Flu pandemic?

The reality is though that longer term the economy is vital to saving lives. Grim reality.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 10:06 AM

The reality is though that longer term the economy is vital to saving lives. Grim reality.

Perhaps its time to start supporting Boris and the government and stop stabbing them in the back? *-) .........

Johnsons "Take it on the chin" gaff may have to for some become the reality.

That had its merits Getting it all over in one go and maintaining the economy may well have been better than we have got now - which is the worst of both worlds. :-S

Bu of course neither would have been as good as taking advantage of our Island status and the ample notice we had to stop it at the borders BoJo had taken back control of. :-S

pelmetman - 2020-05-07 10:35 AM

Perhaps its time to start supporting Boris and the government .........

even when they are wrecking the economy whilst we have more than double the highest deaths in the rest of Europe?

747 - 2020-05-06 10:27 PM

You are wasting your time trying to enlighten him in the basic concepts of truth versus the Media. He has proved over and over again that he is blind to suggestion that does not fit in with his warped views. I'm just pleased that he is not intelligent enough to be dangerous. :D

That made I smile - thanks!!

pelmetman - 2020-05-07 10:35 AM

Perhaps its time to start supporting Boris and the government and stop stabbing them in the back? *-) .........

Holding the government to account and questioning their methods and policies is not stabbing anyone in the back. Its what happens in a democracy. Given the fact that they have failed in so many ways so far I would say its pretty much justified to keep tabs on them and question them. Not point scoring, just questioning and accountability. Yes we should support the government, our key services and all follow the rules to get through this thing but blindly just backing them just because your so heavily invested in them is a foolhardy approach.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 12:30 PM

Holding the government to account and questioning their methods and policies is not stabbing anyone in the back. Its what happens in a democracy. Given the fact that they have failed in so many ways so far I would say its pretty much justified to keep tabs on them and question them. Not point scoring, just questioning and accountability. Yes we should support the government, our key services and all follow the rules to get through this thing but blindly just backing them just because your so heavily invested in them is a foolhardy approach.

Fabricating a story because you don't know what is going to happen is not the same as holding the government to account.

We will find out soon enough how the government proposes we move forward and whatever they decide no doubt there will be winners and losers, that is a fact of the circumstances whatever is decided - followed by huge protests from the usual suspects based on nothing more than their own very limited politically biased views.

Presumably, if Labour had been in power (stop sniggering at the back!), none of the Tory supporters on here would be criticising them would they?..oh no....of cause they wouldn't... ;-)

On the topic of this "announcement" on Sunday-

Why all of the hype?..why the "..the PM will address the nation.." lark? It's not the 1920s.

(Don't get me wrong,at least he isn't going to be "tweeting" it..is he?).

But the government must (should?) know what they are going to be doing, so why the big build up?

If it's because they are waiting for the latest figures to come in, then perhaps fair enough? but please let's hope that he(B Johnson)isn't going to milk the VE Day commemoration weekend with some "Churchill-esque speech..? :-S

pepe63 - 2020-05-07 2:28 PM

Presumably, if Labour had been in power (stop sniggering at the back!), none of the Tory supporters on here would be criticising them would they?..oh no....of cause they wouldn't... ;-)

Why all of the hype?..why the "..the PM will address the nation.." lark? It's not the 1920s.

But the government must (should?) know what they are going to be doing, so why the big build up?

If it's because they are waiting for the latest figures to come in, then perhaps fair enough? but please let's hope that he(B Johnson)isn't going to milk the VE Day commemoration weekend with some "Churchill-esque speech..? :-S

Oh God, no.

I bet Pelmet Pouffe will be getting one of these coins to celebrate Victory "over" Europe.

https://i.redd.it/guaiqsxmzxw41.png

Regardless of the source of the article or whether the Tories are dependent on backers that are desperate to get the economy going or not (lets face it, they are) its an important decision to make and I wouldn't like to have to make it. We should all think ourselves lucky that it wont be us getting pushed back in to work to get it going again.

My neighbour who lives alone did what was suggested for couples and her man friend moved in when he was furloughed so they isolated together. I was talking to her yesterday on the phone and she told me he now has to go back to work from Monday. Understandably it's worried her enough now to suggest he moves back to stay at his house.

It's funny how the usual suspects obsess over constantly criticising a party that isn't in government. (lol)

If it's because they are waiting for the latest figures to come in, then perhaps fair enough? but please let's hope that he (B Johnson) isn't going to milk the VE Day commemoration weekend with some "Churchill-esque speech..? :-S

I'm afraid thats almost a certainty!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/24/johnson-fight-them-on-the-beaches-churchill-address

Bulletguy - 2020-05-07 4:27 PM

It's funny how the usual suspects obsess over constantly criticising a party that isn't in government. (lol)

If it's because they are waiting for the latest figures to come in, then perhaps fair enough? but please let's hope that he (B Johnson) isn't going to milk the VE Day commemoration weekend with some "Churchill-esque speech..? :-S

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/24/johnson-fight-them-on-the-beaches-churchill-address

To be honest I dont think I have watched or listened to him since he made the shaking hands speech. That was enough for me. I would suggest for your own sanity you avoid switching on the TV when he does his "Fight em on the beaches" speech over the weekend. I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyes that listen to that bumbling Twunt. (lol)

Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 4:51 PM

To be honest I dont think I have watched or listened to him since he made the shaking hands speech. That was enough for me. I would suggest for your own sanity you avoid switching on the TV when he does his "Fight em on the beaches" speech over the weekend. I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyes that listen to that bumbling Twunt. (lol)

Why would you who describes him as a "$hit excuse for a human being" be expected to listen to his "speech" ... I think you'd prefer old Gerry Adams speeches anyway ... Hate on

Birdbrain - 2020-05-07 5:55 PM

Why would you who describes him as a "$hit excuse for a human being" be expected to listen to his "speech" ... I think you'd prefer old Gerry Adams speeches anyway ... Hate on

Sometimes you cant avoid him. I never liked Gerry Adams. Uncle Fester was my favourite, and cousin "It".

Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 6:20 PM

Sometimes you cant avoid him. I never liked Gerry Adams. Uncle Fester was my favourite, and cousin "It".

You love Gerry Adams ... The fella you campaigned so hard for does so you do ... Please dont embarrass yaself with any VE Day stuff will ya

I think you'd prefer old Gerry Adams speeches anyway ... Hate on

Trump obviously does.....he attended a fundraising party just before the IRA attacked London. Big pals.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-attended-sinn-f-in-fundraiser-months-before-ira-attacked-london-a6767601.html

please let's hope that he(B Johnson)isn't going to milk the VE Day commemoration weekend with some "Churchill-esque speech..? :-S

Would Churchill have bottled out of BoJo's original plan to 'take it on the chin'?

Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 6:37 PM

Oh dear. 8-)

Does that make Trump as bad as old Beardy then?

Trump must be a terrorist supporter then just like Evil Mr Corbyn. Soon as you do summat like that your a terrorist supporter.

Be interesting to see how the Mad Hatter gets out of that one (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2020-05-07 9:01 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-07 6:33 PM

Trump obviously does.....he attended a fundraising party just before the IRA attacked London. Big pals.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-attended-sinn-f-in-fundraiser-months-before-ira-attacked-london-a6767601.html

".Lordy........chuckle..."

Blimey "Pop Up Pepe" has returned to Chatterbox 8-) ........

There must be a lot of Lefty sh*t going on down here to attract Pepe back :D ......

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-07 3:43 PM

Well if Coronovirus is a war, its walked all over BoJo :-S

Have we Lost?......Loser *-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 12:30 PM

Holding the government to account and questioning their methods and policies is not stabbing anyone in the back. Its what happens in a democracy. .

But your not are you *-) .........

You're just grinding that same old 2016 axe ;-) .....

Archived