Headteacher who wrote to parents should be sacked

StuartO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2020-05-16 10:34 AM

rael - 2020-05-16 10:07 AM You are absolutely correct, teachers should not make known their political preferences to students. ....It's a bit too easy to damn a whole mass of people, because of the wrong doings of a few ..... but is it fair to tar them all with the same brush? No. "Hhey whinge to much" All of them? I don't think so, its another easy generalisation....

50% of teachers are, by definition, below average (as with any group) and there does appear to be quite a variance. Their trades union is led by a conspicuously left wing lady and they send study groups of teachers to Cuba as part of their education programme. Quite a few of them are left wing political or LBGTQ activists. Sadly, but unsurprisingly, teachers have lost the social standing they once had (alongside the bank manager and the doctor in the community) just as they have lost their level of income. The teaching profession is not what it was.

Yep x

Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 8:49 AM

Its not about politics and its not about confrontation ...

... Doesnt matter how much you watch it its still guff ... Just like our very own hate squads concerns has everything to do with politics

And your don't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strewth!! And this man accuses others of hypocrisy!! If I said it was a fine day you'd claim it was because Johnson was bending over. :-D

rael - 2020-05-15 11:26 PM...……………..."Many of our teachers have hidden agendas" Could you please provide some evidence of this? One teacher told your granddaughter that Trump was a bad man, thats not enough really is it? You do seem to have a downer on teachers.

It seems to reflect Antony's experiences of teachers when he was at school. :-)

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 12:17 PM

rael - 2020-05-15 11:26 PM...……………..."Many of our teachers have hidden agendas" Could you please provide some evidence of this? One teacher told your granddaughter that Trump was a bad man, thats not enough really is it? You do seem to have a downer on teachers.

School was for straights ... Borstal and working taught me more than Mr Liberal could ... Teachers at school disliked me and I disliked them , mutual dislike ... I have since worked for a number of those teachers by the way and they are exactly how I remember them , patronising lefties ... They paid me handsomely though for the works I did without realising it , maybe they could learn a thing or two off me about how not to get conned so easily

StuartO - 2020-05-16 10:34 AM............….The teaching profession is not what it was.

When? Things change - it is part of life. In ancient Rome slaves fought to the death for public entertainment. I bet a few rued the day what that ended. "Not like the old days."

What is more important is whether it is change for the better, or the worse, for whom - and how, and by whom, the change is quantified. Despite the view of many in politics, no-one and no group has a monopoly on being right, or on having good ideas.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 12:34 PM

School was for straights ... Borstal and working taught me more than Mr Liberal could ... Teachers at school disliked me and I disliked them , mutual dislike ... I have since worked for a number of those teachers by the way and they are exactly how I remember them , patronising lefties ... They paid me handsomely though for the works I did without realising it , maybe they could learn a thing or two off me about how not to get conned so easily

Let me guess Lowdham Grange?

Guest rael
StuartO - 2020-05-16 11:34 AM

rael - 2020-05-16 10:07 AM You are absolutely correct, teachers should not make known their political preferences to students. ....It's a bit too easy to damn a whole mass of people, because of the wrong doings of a few ..... but is it fair to tar them all with the same brush? No. "Hhey whinge to much" All of them? I don't think so, its another easy generalisation....

50% of teachers are, by definition, below average (as with any group) and there does appear to be quite a variance. Their trades union is led by a conspicuously left wing lady and they send study groups of teachers to Cuba as part of their education programme. Quite a few of them are left wing political or LBGTQ activists. Sadly, but unsurprisingly, teachers have lost the social standing they once had (alongside the bank manager and the doctor in the community) just as they have lost their level of income. The teaching profession is not what it was.

I may have missed something, I often do. I'm not sure what you meant by "50% of teachers are below"?

Moving on:

"The teaching profession is not what it was" I'm quite pleased that the profession has changed for the better, given the experience Birdbrain clearly had whilst at school. I seem to remember in my days that beating students and humiliating was, for some teachers, acceptable. I'm not interested in social standing, stinks a bit of the class system, doffing of caps etc.

"Their trades union is led by a conspicuously left wing lady" True, but you'd struggle to find a union leader that did not have left wing leanings?

I merely asked for some clarification on a few points that seemed to be posed as fact, they were:

"Many of our teachers have hidden agendas" Evidence?

"They whinge about much" Evidence?

Added to this we now have "Quite a few of them are left wing political or LBGTQ activists" So what? What teachers get up to in their spare time is up to them. I know "quite a few" teachers who are right wing political and/or religious zealots. Its their choice, not my cup of tea, but I would not think this sufficient reason to damn the whole profession.

As I originally said, I'm in two minds about students going back to school. If its done properly, the great, if its forced through then that may end up being a mistake. I just don't think its helpful, in this situation, to damn a whole profession.

It will probably be the turn of the BMA next, they have think its too early for schools to go back, on medical grounds.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 1:34 PM

School was for straights ... Borstal and working taught me more than Mr Liberal could ... Teachers at school disliked me and I disliked them , mutual dislike ... I have since worked for a number of those teachers by the way and they are exactly how I remember them , patronising lefties ... They paid me handsomely though for the works I did without realising it , maybe they could learn a thing or two off me about how not to get conned so easily[/quote

I had some terribly patronising teachers as well, I wasn't the brightest button (woodwork/metalwork for me) and they let me know it. Not sure if they were lefties or righties though. I'm pleased to report that things have improved, but I'm afraid its gone a bit too much the other way, as I've already mentioned.

rael - 2020-05-16 2:45 PM

StuartO - 2020-05-16 11:34 AM

I may have missed something, I often do. I'm not sure what you meant by "50% of teachers are below"?

Moving on:

"The teaching profession is not what it was" I'm quite pleased that the profession has changed for the better, given the experience Birdbrain clearly had whilst at school. I seem to remember in my days that beating students and humiliating was, for some teachers, acceptable. I'm not interested in social standing, stinks a bit of the class system, doffing of caps etc.

"Their trades union is led by a conspicuously left wing lady" True, but you'd struggle to find a union leader that did not have left wing leanings?

I merely asked for some clarification on a few points that seemed to be posed as fact, they were:

"Many of our teachers have hidden agendas" Evidence?

"They whinge about much" Evidence?

Added to this we now have "Quite a few of them are left wing political or LBGTQ activists" So what? What teachers get up to in their spare time is up to them. I know "quite a few" teachers who are right wing political and/or religious zealots. Its their choice, not my cup of tea, but I would not think this sufficient reason to damn the whole profession.

As I originally said, I'm in two minds about students going back to school. If its done properly, the great, if its forced through then that may end up being a mistake. I just don't think its helpful, in this situation, to damn a whole profession.

It will probably be the turn of the BMA next, they have think its too early for schools to go back, on medical grounds.

Good post.

There is way too much sweeping generalisations on here, always from the little echo chamber of hive minds based on nothing other than speculation and wild conjecture.

You are right too about the BMA as they are in agreement with the concerns of teaching unions.

https://tinyurl.com/yb3v7l6h

We went in to lockdown too late, and the government is trying to take us out too quick, at least in England. What I'm mystified by is why go back when there is the long Summer holiday 6 weeks later? Why not wait a safe couple of weeks more, then have a shorter Summer holiday and fingers crossed things will be better by September?

Regarding whether or not the school will be safe, that's not the full point - it's the risk of onward transmission from children to parents, neighbours, folk in shops and so on. Children spread germs at the best of times, I'd rather they didn't have the chance to spread a potentially more dangerous virus.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-15 6:33 PM

If EU schools can go back under strict instructions what to do why cant we ??? ... Thats right , its a Tory Government thats given the instruction

The EU as an example, Antony? Surely not? I thought the whole idea of Brexit was that we'd take a different path, not copy the spawn of Satan! :-D

Conrad - 2020-05-16 5:05 PM

We went in to lockdown too late, and the government is trying to take us out too quick, at least in England. What I'm mystified by is why go back when there is the long Summer holiday 6 weeks later? Why not wait a safe couple of weeks more, then have a shorter Summer holiday and fingers crossed things will be better by September?

Regarding whether or not the school will be safe, that's not the full point - it's the risk of onward transmission from children to parents, neighbours, folk in shops and so on. Children spread germs at the best of times, I'd rather they didn't have the chance to spread a potentially more dangerous virus.

Have to admit that part mystified me also as half term isn't that far off and the summer term follows not long after. I can only think it's coupled to government anxiety to get folk back into work.

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 5:16 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-15 6:33 PM

If EU schools can go back under strict instructions what to do why cant we ??? ... Thats right , its a Tory Government thats given the instruction

The EU as an example, Antony? Surely not? I thought the whole idea of Brexit was that we'd take a different path, not copy the spawn of Satan! :-D

Chuckle

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 12:05 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 7:02 PM...………………….

2.......Sneering superiority complex still in place I see :D ........

Given the quality of what gets posted, difficult to abandon. Help me out here, Dave. Post sense! :-D

There's nowt I or any Brexiteer could post that would make sense to you ;-) .......

We gave up on that years ago *-) ........

What does surprise me is your loser "lots" unsavoury appetite for COVID19 to do its worst on Boris's government :-| ......

Violet1956 - 2020-05-16 12:53 PM

No ... I seem to remember my brother was in there though ... Is it Nottingham way

Here's a thought - that has been going round and round in my head across several Covid related strings for days and days. Michael Heseltine made a very funny speech at the 1976 Tory party conference, during which he hilariously lampooned the sitting Labour Government of James Callaghan. Some may remember it.

His words seem appropriate today, with only a minor alteration. "A rabble of political extremists orchestrated from within the British cabinet itself, a one-legged army, limping away from the storm they had created, right, right, right, right, right."

Seems to perfectly describe Chatterbox recently. One can actually hear the heels clicking in some posts. What is the point of democracy if only one voice may be heard? You may not criticise the Great Leader, you must only praise him.

Who are these fairies who can't endure criticism of a sitting government - merely because they voted for it?

What is it they so fear that they have to rush to defend the blatantly indefensible, like so many fussing nannies rushing to the aid of some objectionable infant? The unvarnished truth: that they cannot, or will not, see?

Why should the population at large suspend their powers of reason, deny the evidence of their own eyes and ears, and meekly do as the Great Leader instructs? Is this any more than a bad dose of cognitive dissonance - that sick feeling one gets when one realises one has bought a pup - which one is driven to deny because the truth is too uncomfortable to contemplate? That one has chosen badly, and is condemned to live with the result of one's own bad decision, but rejects that nagging realisation?

To criticise a government is not an act of sabotage, it is an alternative opinion, a part of political discourse, an essential ingredient of a healthy democracy. It is how we govern ourselves via our elected representatives and, just like Stuarts' teachers, who choose to think for themselves in the face of what they see as ill-judged directions, and respond by speaking truth to power, we should refuse to acquiesce in the mediocre.

See this link - others around the world are also unimpressed: https://tinyurl.com/y83d47tw You may be content: I'm not!

Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 6:14 PM

No ... I seem to remember my brother was in there though ... Is it Nottingham way

Yes, I was a visitor back in the 70s. Good lads on the whole just a bit lost.

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 6:19 PM

Here's a thought - that has been going round and round in my head across several Covid related strings for days and days. Michael Heseltine made a very funny speech at the 1976 Tory party conference, during which he hilariously lampooned the sitting Labour Government of James Callaghan. Some may remember it.

His words seem appropriate today, with only a minor alteration. "A rabble of political extremists orchestrated from within the British cabinet itself, a one-legged army, limping away from the storm they had created, right, right, right, right, right."

Seems to perfectly describe Chatterbox recently. One can actually hear the heels clicking in some posts. What is the point of democracy if only one voice may be heard? You may not criticise the Great Leader, you must only praise him.

Who are these fairies who can't endure criticism of a sitting government - merely because they voted for it?

What is it they so fear that they have to rush to defend the blatantly indefensible, like so many fussing nannies rushing to the aid of some objectionable infant? The unvarnished truth: that they cannot, or will not, see?

Why should the population at large suspend their powers of reason, deny the evidence of their own eyes and ears, and meekly do as the Great Leader instructs? Is this any more than a bad dose of cognitive dissonance - that sick feeling one gets when one realises one has bought a pup - which one is driven to deny because the truth is too uncomfortable to contemplate? That one has chosen badly, and is condemned to live with the result of one's own bad decision, but rejects that nagging realisation?

To criticise a government is not an act of sabotage, it is an alternative opinion, a part of political discourse, an essential ingredient of a healthy democracy. It is how we govern ourselves via our elected representatives and, just like Stuarts' teachers, who choose to think for themselves in the face of what they see as ill-judged directions, and respond by speaking truth to power, we should refuse to acquiesce in the mediocre.

See this link - others around the world are also unimpressed: https://tinyurl.com/y83d47tw You may be content: I'm not!

C'mon Brian ... Tha's only me and Dave on here in the regulars who you might call right wing , Teflon maybe ... 2 lone voices shut down debate ??? ... Debate and criticism is great , you should be able to criticise and question anything and I mean anything without insult but on here when one questions lets say Islam like I do you get the usual "racist/bigot/Islamaphobe" etc etc from the squad in an attempt to shut down the questioning ... Why is it thats acceptable for that but not for the China Virus/Tory issue ???

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 6:19 PM

Lecturing the cannon fodder in a pandemic? *-) ........

You obviously missed your vocation......again...... Brian :D .......

pelmetman - 2020-05-16 6:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 12:05 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 7:02 PM...………………….

2.......Sneering superiority complex still in place I see :D ........

Given the quality of what gets posted, difficult to abandon. Help me out here, Dave. Post sense! :-D

There's nowt I or any Brexiteer could post that would make sense to you ;-) .......

We gave up on that years ago *-) ........

What does surprise me is your loser "lots" unsavoury appetite for COVID19 to do its worst on Boris's government :-| ...…

You've got the world upside down, Dave. :-)

What you see is not my own (I don't have a "lot", whose collective brain I need to be able to think) "unsavoury appetite for COVID 19 to do its worst on Boris's government".

What you see is my entirely savoury appetite for a government that demonstrates competence in office. I don't care who runs it, just that it is competent. That is all they need to do. Just their job.

Violet1956 - 2020-05-16 6:23 PM

Late 70s you would have seen my brother I reckon before he got moved on to serve time in Armley as an adult ... Blonde haired lad with an HTFC tattoo on his forehead ... Nice lad

pelmetman - 2020-05-16 6:30 PM...………………...

1 Lecturing the cannon fodder in a pandemic? *-) ........

2 You obviously missed your vocation......again...... Brian :D .......

1 If not then, when?

2 Thank you. I thought that was quite good as well! :-D

Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 6:33 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-05-16 6:23 PM

Late 70s you would have seen my brother I reckon before he got moved on to serve time in Armley as an adult ... Blonde haired lad with an HTFC tattoo on his forehead ... Nice lad

Hope he’s doing well now. Back in the 70s young men were given the most condign punishment. A determinate sentence of 9 months for which an adult might have escaped with a non-custodial penalty.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-16 6:28 PM

C'mon Brian ...

1 Tha's only me and Dave on here in the regulars who you might call right wing , Teflon maybe ... 2 lone voices shut down debate ??? ...

2 Debate and criticism is great , you should be able to criticise and question anything and I mean anything without insult but on here when one questions lets say Islam like I do you get the usual "racist/bigot/Islamaphobe" etc etc from the squad in an attempt to shut down the questioning ...

3 Why is it thats acceptable for that but not for the China Virus/Tory issue ???

1 That is possibly where you see yourselves, but is not necessarily where others see you. You become what you make yourself appear to others.

2 But generally you don't criticise Islam or whatever, mostly all you do is snitch someone else's comment from Twitter, and then post a link to it under a one word heading such as "Beautiful", or some such. It's just baiting, not commentary. Then, when you get the inevitable bite you're so obviously fishing for, you begin to complain every one is being horrible to you. It isn't criticism or questioning, it's just masochism. And then it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on,and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, over pages and pages of 'tis - 'tisn't, ad infinibleedingnitum. At the end of which, no-one is any the wiser!

3 'Tain't what you do, it's the way that you do it. If the result is wrong, it was the wrong method.

Archived