Is a motorhome level?

Barcobird

Luckily there is a small area right in front of me the driver, near the bottom of the windscreen that is level when the Moho is level. So when I pull up I have a small bulls eye level in the dash coin pocket I can place on this area and see if any levelling is required without leaving the drivers seat.

webthumbnail2.thumb.jpg.afcffa048097833ef1d020810583eb1e.jpg

I’m familiar with KISS and with plumb lines (though not the ‘fruity’ variation you’ve just mentioned ;-) ) and I can envisage how a plumb line MIGHT be used to establish if a motorhome’s interior floor were level transversely/longitudinally.

However, I don’t consider a plumb line’s usage in this case meeting the KISS principle. A piece of cord/thread and a plumb ‘bob’ would still be required and (as I imagine the task might be performed) there’d also be a need to hang the line from, say, the motorhome’s ceiling and mark somewhere lower down to indicate when a ‘state of level' had been attained - but that would mean preliminary work at an earlier stage to get the motorhome level so that the latter mark could be made.

Strikes me that (unless I’m missing something basic) your plumb line suggestion is like considering having sex while trampolining - it’s possible to imagine how it might be done, but it won’t be straightforward and there are clearly much simpler alternatives.

If motorhome levelling concerned me (like Lancepar) I’d use an inexpensive bubble spirit level that is often advertised for exactly that purpose.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-21 9:41 AM

I’m familiar with KISS and with plumb lines (though not the ‘fruity’ variation you’ve just mentioned ;-) ) and I can envisage how a plumb line MIGHT be used to establish if a motorhome’s interior floor were level transversely/longitudinally.

However, I don’t consider a plumb line’s usage in this case meeting the KISS principle. A piece of cord/thread and a plumb ‘bob’ would still be required and (as I imagine the task might be performed) there’d also be a need to hang the line from, say, the motorhome’s ceiling and mark somewhere lower down to indicate when a ‘state of level' had been attained - but that would mean preliminary work at an earlier stage to get the motorhome level so that the latter mark could be made.

Strikes me that (unless I’m missing something basic) your plumb line suggestion is like considering having sex while trampolining - it’s possible to imagine how it might be done, but it won’t be straightforward and there are clearly much simpler alternatives.

If motorhome levelling concerned me (like Lancepar) I’d use an inexpensive bubble spirit level that is often advertised for exactly that purpose.

I AM surprised at you Derek!

It really is simple and it certainly meets the KISS principle and it works a treat.

I was fed up with having to keep getting up from the driving seat when manoeuvering the van to check the spirit level.

The dash area on my vehicle has no horizontal surface in 2 axes(sic) so there is nowhere to fix a double bubble. What I have got is the old fixing for the redundant rear view mirror which is directly above the radio.

A weight, a piece of ali chain, et voila, a Plumb line! (You could substitute the weight for a fruity plum if you like?)

We leveled the van using the old spirit level, stuck a marker circle on the dash under the Plumb Bob and that is it?

How can that not conform to the KISS principle.

We pull up, I hook on the chain, move the van until the Bob lines up over the mark - all from the comfort of my seat and there we are- level. With a little bit of understanding it also indicates to me where to put the leveling ramps if they are needed

I am also surprised and somewhat disturbed by your analogy to trampolining, although I agree that that would certainly NOT conform to the KISS principle!

PS You can see that the van is NOT level in the photos - it is just parked up. Also - and relevant to this thread you will see that the marker dot is not central - which indicates that the van is not naturally level.

plumb1.jpg.5570641d7f425b23bde9bb2bb1332015.jpg

plumb2.jpg.2ed048864eb70ba2a0616b4164ca3a47.jpg

plumb3.jpg.948c42feafe3f19af2616c03366a88d1.jpg

Lacking a trampoline (and unfortunately being a bit past that kind of thing anyway) we don't bother with a plump bob set up, just see which way the fridge door swings.

Our Challenger has a slight 'bows-down' trim which isn't a problem as it gives our rear lit centrale a slight head-higher position which suits us.

We're often amused by the antics of 'level at all costs' campers, level enough will do, life's too short to be memorised by a bubble.

Jeremy, very impressed with your adaptation of the plumb bob- certainly meets the KISS rules in my book. I will stick with the bubble method.

Now in reference to Derek's comments re gymnastics I am reminded of one of the very old readings from the Confusious memoirs that suggests that "couple we have sex in motorhome parked on side of hill definitely not on the level!" cheers,

As one might expect, a GOOGLE-search on “sex on trampoline” will retrieve recommendations, guidance and the inevitable health and safety warnings.

One entry emphasises the importance of getting the trampoline absolutely level beforehand to guard against the couple, trio (however many are involved) flying off the trampoline’s fabric surface. Levelling using a plumb bob is suggested, but no advice is given as to where it should be hung from...

Archived