Who’s going abroad from July 6th

Den

Keithl - 2020-07-03 11:57 AM

lancepar - 2020-07-03 11:43 AM

We do have a lovely bolt hole, not far away we can visit anytime and have all to ourselves. Been there already this year.

Can't say where it is, its a secret. :-D

Except it's named on your Photo :D :D :D

Oh no............how did that happen >:-)

Stay Safe Keith

Lance

B-)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rael

Now that we have postponed Greece until next year, or next target was Croatia, but thats looking tricky. Slovenia is not on 'the list' of countries you can visit without having to do 14 days quarantine on return to England. So for a 22km transit of Slovenia to get into Croatia we'd have to do 14 days when we get back! Also Croatia has a requirement that you have proof of accomadation for entry to the country. Spain it is then.

https://tinyurl.com/yadqm94c

simon says - 2020-07-03 12:16 PM

Booked for Dieppe on the 16th July. We Intend to tour Brittany though I expect it to be very busy but we will try to pick quieter spots.. We only use Aires and are not ones for bars and restaurants so will be able to social distance.

It's disappointing how timid Brits seem to have become but not surprising considering the panics we have been subjected to from the Government and media over the last 40 years eg climate change, BSE, food scares, bird flu etc, Yes there are risks to every activity but most are imagined often through ignorance.

Commonsense seems to be at a premium these days.

Yeh well the death toll for over 60’s is not imaginary. There are risks to every activity but you don’t have to stick your head in the oven.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-07-03 5:56 PM

simon says - 2020-07-03 12:16 PM

Booked for Dieppe on the 16th July. We Intend to tour Brittany though I expect it to be very busy but we will try to pick quieter spots.. We only use Aires and are not ones for bars and restaurants so will be able to social distance.

It's disappointing how timid Brits seem to have become but not surprising considering the panics we have been subjected to from the Government and media over the last 40 years eg climate change, BSE, food scares, bird flu etc, Yes there are risks to every activity but most are imagined often through ignorance.

Commonsense seems to be at a premium these days.

Yeh well the death toll for over 60’s is not imaginary. There are risks to every activity but you don’t have to stick your head in the oven.

It appears we may have had it 8-) .......

As our chums we meet up with in Spain have both tested positive for having it according to the 89 quid each test they paid for ;-) ........

We had a queer lurgy this Feb that was rampant on the campsite in Spain that sent me to my bed for a day ;-) ......

I suspect it either got pi**ed in my blood stream or read my thoughts :D .......and said lets get the f*ck outa here (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

Guest rael
Confusion reigns on GOV.UK over travel advice. The FCO now says you can go to Slovenia and Lithuania for non-essential travel, but you would still have to quarantine for 14 days on return. Anyone know why? If its safe to go why are these two countries not on the exempt from quarantine list? Oh, and British Antarctic Territory also falls into this category. I'm sure there are more.

pelmetman - 2020-07-03 6:21 PM

As our chums we meet up with in Spain have both tested positive for having it according to the 89 quid each test they paid for ;-) ........

We had a queer lurgy this Feb that was rampant on the campsite in Spain that sent me to my bed for a day ;-) ......

I suspect it either got pi**ed in my blood stream or read my thoughts :D .......and said lets get the f*ck outa here (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

I thought I might have had it too. I was unwell in March for 11 days and had symptoms including a slight fever, chills, persistent dry cough, shortness of breath, night delirium, and the strangest throat that I can only describe as incredibly dry whilst feeling like I had swallowed a thousand pins and they were all stuck there.

Despite that, when I took part in the Imperial College test research 3 weeks ago, I tested negative for antibodies in two separate tests of a self-testing kit, although still awaiting the lab blood results.

There are three possibilities though - I had something else entirely, the self test kits that were being tested aren't reliable, or as was suggested to me whilst I was there, increasing evidence suggests that antibodies may only last a short time (up to a few months) in patients who have not experienced severe illness.

flyboyprowler - 2020-07-03 1:35 PM

Everyone off to Snitterfield then (lol)

No visitors allowed at the moment...........Members only.........but you will be welcome when all reurns to normal ... there's a clue in your username flyboyprowler.

B-)

lancepar - 2020-07-04 11:56 AM

flyboyprowler - 2020-07-03 1:35 PM

Everyone off to Snitterfield then (lol)

No visitors allowed at the moment...........Members only.........but you will be welcome when all reurns to normal ... there's a clue in your username flyboyprowler.

B-)

Ah, I used to be a pilot, but now VERY gratefully retired. :-)

We're booked on the tunnel for August 4th and heading for Spain where I am certain life will be a lot safer than here as the Spanish Government have demonstrated that they care for their population in a way which the British Government has not. Left to me I wouldn't return at all most especially after December 31st :'(

HarveyHeaven - 2020-07-04 1:15 PM

We're booked on the tunnel for August 4th and heading for Spain where I am certain life will be a lot safer than here as the Spanish Government have demonstrated that they care for their population in a way which the British Government has not. Left to me I wouldn't return at all most especially after December 31st :'(

Certainty is in short supply in the middle of a pandemic of a potentially fatal disease. The Spanish have just announced Lockdown of an area of 400,000 people near Barcelona. Good luck.

Well I'm off to Germany on Monday (6th), Eurotunnel, then France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and looking forward to it. Lots of slots in the tunnel taken with some days sold out eg Sunday 5th which is when I wanted to go. I'm 66, not quite in the at risk category, however, close enough to maintain all the precautions drummed into us over the last 3 months.

Guest rael
Deneb - 2020-07-04 12:54 PM

pelmetman - 2020-07-03 6:21 PM

I thought I might have had it too. I was unwell in March for 11 days and had symptoms including a slight fever, chills, persistent dry cough, shortness of breath, night delirium, and the strangest throat that I can only describe as incredibly dry whilst feeling like I had swallowed a thousand pins and they were all stuck there.

Despite that, when I took part in the Imperial College test research 3 weeks ago, I tested negative for antibodies in two separate tests of a self-testing kit, although still awaiting the lab blood results.

There are three possibilities though - I had something else entirely, the self test kits that were being tested aren't reliable, or as was suggested to me whilst I was there, increasing evidence suggests that antibodies may only last a short time (up to a few months) in patients who have not experienced severe illness.

If you wanted to be certain, you could get an antibody test.

rael - 2020-07-04 2:33 PM

Deneb - 2020-07-04 12:54 PM

If you wanted to be certain, you could get an antibody test.

I had two antibody tests as I stated, both using the test kit that is/was intended to be distributed for widespread self testing. One of the tests I administered myself, and the second was repeated by a physician as part of the research program. I also had several blood specimens taken for laboratory analysis and comparison to the several antigen/antibody tests that were both self completed and taken by the physician. I was promised that the blood test results would be sent to me about a month later, which will be a week or so from now.

I had included the information that I had previously experienced Covid type symptoms as part of the induction process. When both antibody tests from the self testing kits returned negative results, I was told that if I had been unwell with Covid in mid to late March, one possibility was that any antibodies could have disappeared by the time of the tests in early June.

I understand that medical opinion is now leaning towards antibody tests being of limited use, and perhaps not having the importance that was initially assumed, with more emphasis being placed on something called T-cell immunity that is more difficult to test for. Whether the various tests on my blood samples have included that, I have no idea until I receive the results.

I've seen reports of people who have previously been tested and confirmed as having CV-19 now don't show on anti body test, I've not seen the timescales, so it could be either the test is not very accurate, or anti bodies are going within a couple of months.

HarveyHeaven - 2020-07-04 1:15 PM

We are applying for residency in Spain.

We live in France and have made two short camping trips in the last couple of weeks. Also, I travel widely for work. For all intents and purposes things are almost back to normal. There are varying requirements regards masks, hand washing and the like but in the main most bars and restaurants are back to normal or just going through the legal motions.

I’d be very interested to know how welcome the French are towards the British.

Should any of you lucky Motorhomers be traveling around the South of France, Alps and inner parts.

Have a great safe time

Den

Den - 2020-07-10 12:23 PM

I’d be very interested to know how welcome the French are towards the British.

Should any of you lucky Motorhomers be traveling around the South of France, Alps and inner parts.

Have a great safe time

Den

I have never experienced anything but a friendly and courteous response from any French person. They do not exhibit overly enthusiastic behaviour to strangers, they are a bit more formal than we are. After a few meetings you will have to get used to being kissed on both cheeks by the ladies or by the men if you are female. In many areas Covid 19 is of minor concern although it still exists of course, I cannot think that Covid will make any difference, I will greet my neighbours as normal but avoid any kissy kissy or handshakes using the elbow touch if I can get away with it! As a French man once told me, " We like the English, you are almost civilised" :-)

I am off to a field in Dept 36 in a few weeks, I will park up and only move to shop at Lidl or the local boulangerie, I reckon I will be as safe there as anywhere.

H

I totally agree with you Geoff.

Having purchased 3 LeVoyageurs and been mixing with French so many times on our trips back to the Factory, plus we received invites to the Lebouget MH show including a 3 course meal with loads of drinks all free.we found them brilliant and one gentleman wanted to be close to our table so he could speak English.

Fantastic.

We note in the news that Europeans are not so happy with us going to Spain and France.

I tend to think this is news to sell papers.

But I’d be interested in what people find when they arrive, more curiosity than anything.

Just Incase I have ordered French number plates, a string of garlic and a Beret ??

Some entertaining data here

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/articles-reports/2020/07/08/stay-away-europeans-tell-british-tourists

The charts show that 5% of French tourists would be willing to consider coming to Britain, but 17% would not consider this because of COVID-19. But the amusing bit is the comment (probably accurate) that “French people didn’t want to come anyway..."

I have quite a few Gite owners amongst my customers and they are all saying the same thing; whereas normally they would have predominantly British clientele, this year they are fully booked with people from the French cities.

The camp sites on my route however are very quiet. At Aubeterre-sur-Dronne where we went last week there were 8 or 10 vans in the free aires and only around 5 or 6 in the camp site despite them reducing the price to €12 per night including electricity and Wi-Fi. The aires around this area are very quiet compared to normal for July. I've seen a few British vans and some Dutch but the numbers are well down.

Don't worry about not being made welcome. It is all newspaper hype.

Den - 2020-07-10 5:26 PM

I totally agree with you Geoff.

Having purchased 3 LeVoyageurs and been mixing with French so many times on our trips back to the Factory, plus we received invites to the Lebouget MH show including a 3 course meal with loads of drinks all free.we found them brilliant and one gentleman wanted to be close to our table so he could speak English.

Fantastic.

We note in the news that Europeans are not so happy with us going to Spain and France.

I tend to think this is news to sell papers.

But I’d be interested in what people find when they arrive, more curiosity than anything.

Just Incase I have ordered French number plates, a string of garlic and a Beret ??

Couldn't agree more Den, loved our time at Le Voyageur and was sad to see Miriam leave. I would buy another as well, if only for the service and the meal and drinks at Le Bourget! :-D

I fully expected all the French Motorhomes would be out in force.

You certainly live in a nice area.

It’s a great shame for sites to have so few staying and to add insult to injury to greatly reduce prices, fingers crossed during the summer period holiday makers will gain confidence.

Archived