Water to taps

BIFFO

Evening all. We are at that stage again. The van is out. Packed. Gas on. Checked. All ok. Bikes loaded. Clothes ,footwear, alcohol stored. Water tank half full. Heating fine BUT the flippin taps won’t prime. Nothing happening. Just the pump in the tank whirring away. What am I doing wrong. Suggestions PLEASE. ????????????

BIFFO - 2020-07-04 8:36 PM

Evening all. We are at that stage again. The van is out. Packed. Gas on. Checked. All ok. Bikes loaded. Clothes ,footwear, alcohol stored. Water tank half full. Heating fine BUT the flippin taps won’t prime. Nothing happening. Just the pump in the tank whirring away. What am I doing wrong. Suggestions PLEASE. ????????????

Do you have a submersible pump?if so is it still connected to the out hose in the water tank ,hymers are prone to have this problem where the pump comes off the hose,

A few years ago I had a similar problem after a eight week winter lay up.. No water to kitchen sink tap and no water to bathroom but pump was working as there was water to the shower. After much investigation a found that both wire filters in the ends of the taps were blocked. After removing them and reverse flushing all was fine. I now clean them at the start of every year.

vindiboy - 2020-07-04 10:00 PM

BIFFO - 2020-07-04 8:36 PM

Do you have a submersible pump?if so is it still connected to the out hose in the water tank ,hymers are prone to have this problem where the pump comes off the hose,

Biffo’s Carado panel-van conversion motorhome is near-new (bought in 2019).

Presumably - being German built - the Carado’s fresh-water tank is inboard and will have access/cleaning hatches in its top surface. If that’s the case it would definitely be worth carrying out the check vindiboy suggests.

Assuming that the submersible pump has not become detached from its water hose, try giving the pump a damn good shaking while it is running beneath the water. Historically, submersible pumps tended to be reluctant to self-prime initially, but that SHOULD NOT happen nowadays. It’s also sometimes suggested that, if the pump is the submersible type and an ‘air lock’ forms in the water pipework, closing all water outlets except one tap and - while the pump is running - sucking through that tap may help.

I believe the Carado’s heater will be a Truma “Combi” heater. As Keith said earlier, make certain that the heater’s FrostControl safety/drain valve is PROPERLY closed (Turn lever on valve's top to horizontal position and then FULLY press in the button on the valve’s end).

(I’d also look underneath the motorhome while the water-pump is running but no water is coming from taps, just in case water is pouring out from one of the tubes that should emerge from beneath the vehicle.)

This is the bringing-into-service procedure I’d probably use

1. Make sure all water drain-valves and water-outlets are properly closed.

2. Fill fresh-water tank.

3. Turn one HOT water-outlet to its fully-open position. (I normally start with the shower hot-water control and I place the shower-head in a small bucket to avoid splashing.)

4. Switch on water-pump at motorhome's 12V control panel.

5. Leave water-pump running until water runs smoothly from open water-outlet. This process will take several minutes and, once complete, will indicate that the Combi’s water-boiler has completely filled with water.

6. Turn that outlet to its cold position and wait until the water runs smoothly.

7. Turn that outlet off and treat remaining water-outlets similarly. Turn each outlet fully on, wait until water runs from it smoothly, turn outlet off - move on to next outlet. When water runs smoothly from all outlets, all air should have been expelled from the system.

8. Switch off water-pump at motorhome's 12V control panel.

Archived