Obese because they are poor?

StuartO

Birdbrain - 2020-08-13 8:45 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-08-13 8:31 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-13 8:26 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-08-13 8:14 PM

I think it’s about time we started not treating the poor as idiots. Sure, they know that a bag of donuts isn’t good for you. If they bought a cauliflower for £1 instead their kids would still be hungry. Get real people, imagine what it is like to feed a family on benefits or a low income. Perhaps you think they should grow their own veg on their balcony in their high rise. That would work eh?

Lordy ... "the poor" ... You believe "the poor" buy donuts because it fills kids up more ??? ... If "the poor" as you describe them weren't lazy they could buy 2 "cauliflowers" for a £1 that you mention and make cauliflower soup, curry, pasta bake, rice and so on ... Donuts make life easy, doesnt spoil adult TV or phone time ... The bubble you folk live in, Lordy

You're not a cook are you Antony? You've added ingredients plus the expenditure on fuel to cook these dishes. Can't buy a cauliflower for 50p down South btw. You accuse me of living in a bubble? Don't make me laugh.

Yes I do cook thank you and mainly nutritious good value meals that would be cheaper than buying burger and chips ... Adding store cupboard ingredients to most of those I mentioned is a cheap meal and a meal isnt a friggin pack of donuts and your insulting the real "poor" folk of this country by suggesting they'd rather feed their kids on donuts ... Lidl this week cauliflowers 59 pence each ... Your a joke lovey

Really,Lidl vegetables.....I think Violet was talking about fresh Veg. No cauli’s here for under a £1.

Exercise is free.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s about time we started not treating the poor as idiots. Sure, they know that a bag of donuts isn’t good for you. If they bought a cauliflower for £1 instead their kids would still be hungry. Get real people, imagine what it is like to feed a family on benefits or a low income. Perhaps you think they should grow their own veg on their balcony in their high rise. That would work eh?

Lordy ... "the poor" ... You believe "the poor" buy donuts because it fills kids up more ??? ... If "the poor" as you describe them weren't lazy they could buy 2 "cauliflowers" for a £1 that you mention and make cauliflower soup, curry, pasta bake, rice and so on ... Donuts make life easy, doesnt spoil adult TV or phone time ... The bubble you folk live in, Lordy

You're not a cook are you Antony? You've added ingredients plus the expenditure on fuel to cook these dishes. Can't buy a cauliflower for 50p down South btw. You accuse me of living in a bubble? Don't make me laugh.

Yes I do cook thank you and mainly nutritious good value meals that would be cheaper than buying burger and chips ... Adding store cupboard ingredients to most of those I mentioned is a cheap meal and a meal isnt a friggin pack of donuts and your insulting the real "poor" folk of this country by suggesting they'd rather feed their kids on donuts ... Lidl this week cauliflowers 59 pence each ... Your a joke lovey

You have a store cupboard .... did someone gift the contents to you?

Violet1956 - 2020-08-13 11:29 PM

You have a store cupboard .... did someone gift the contents to you?

No we bought them ... Rather than spending money on fags,beer,dope,phones,Sky etc etc ... Donut

jumpstart - 2020-08-13 9:07 PM

Really,Lidl vegetables.....I think Violet was talking about fresh Veg. No cauli’s here for under a £1.

Exercise is free.

Maybe best if you dont "think" Princess

John52 - 2020-08-13 9:02 PM

Some people assume poor people have plenty of time, as well as the facilities to prepare and cook veg etc

But the reality is people with little money often have little time

How long does it take to cook veg ??? ... Please show some examples of your "people with little money often have little time"

Guest pelmetman

One of my favourite meals is Cauliflower 2 cheese bake with Lardons and Chorizo B-) ...........

I doubt the cost of that meal for 2 is more than a Big Mac meal for 1 :D ..........

The most expensive part in the UK is the £7 a bottle Shiraz we wash it down with 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-08-14 8:24 AM

One of my favourite meals is Cauliflower 2 cheese bake with Lardons and Chorizo B-) ...........

I doubt the cost of that meal for 2 is more than a Big Mac meal for 1 :D ..........

The most expensive part in the UK is the £7 a bottle Shiraz we wash it down with 8-) ........

The cost of your bake for 2 using the cheapest ingredients I can find in Tesco online + 30p of electricity to cook it is just under £7. A big mac meal costs £4.89/£5.29 medieum/large. To feed a family of four with that cheese bake with an extra cauiflower would be around the £7.50 mark. To buy and cook the cheapest burgers, buns and chips for four costs £3.39. And God forbid that you've run out of money for the electricity meter.

Some people assume poor people have plenty of time, as well as the facilities to prepare and cook veg etc

Some people assume poor people are just like them, but with little money. They can't understand why they have little money, so assume it is because they are lazy, physically and/or mentally. This is handy, because it gives them a way to blame the poor for their own circumstances, while at the same time providing an excuse for having no sympathy for them. Thus, virtue is (disingenuously) served, and all is right in the world. Is there a pattern here? :-D

Violet1956 - 2020-08-14 10:23 AM

The cost of your bake for 2 using the cheapest ingredients I can find in Tesco online + 30p of electricity to cook it is just under £7. A big mac meal costs £4.89/£5.29 medieum/large. To feed a family of four with that cheese bake with an extra cauiflower would be around the £7.50 mark. To buy and cook the cheapest burgers, buns and chips for four costs £3.39. And God forbid that you've run out of money for the electricity meter.

Chuckle ... Youve managed to get my missus laughing ... She's been in catering all her working life ... She says she could make 8 folk the best cauliflower cheese bake with lardons and chorizo for less than your £7.50 for 4 and still have money left over and trust me shes a great cook ... Youve been eating too many sugary donuts

Guest pelmetman

Dunno how much you eat Veronica 8-) ...........

But I can make 2 to 4 meals out of one cauliflower depending on its size ;-) ...........

So even if I only managed 2 meals for that £7.......I'd still have half a pack of Lardons left and at least 8" of Chorizo left to add to other meals :D .........

BTW I've just knocked up 3 Lasagnes using the other portion of Lardons :-> ..........

So I'm quids in B-) ........

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-14 12:05 PM

Some people assume poor people are just like them, but with little money. They can't understand why they have little money, so assume it is because they are lazy, physically and/or mentally. This is handy, because it gives them a way to blame the poor for their own circumstances, while at the same time providing an excuse for having no sympathy for them. Thus, virtue is (disingenuously) served, and all is right in the world. Is there a pattern here? :-D

Must be nice to be so naive and in your own liccle world ... I thought it was just my young grandson who was like that

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-08-14 2:54 PM

Chuckle ... Youve managed to get my missus laughing ... She's been in catering all her working life ... She says she could make 8 folk the best cauliflower cheese bake with lardons and chorizo for less than your £7.50 for 4 and still have money left over and trust me shes a great cook ... Youve been eating too many sugary donuts

Perhaps Veronica has a cook? ;-) .........

Who is feeding her/his family with their scraps :D ........

Either that or they eat a lot of nosh 8-) ........

Violet1956 - 2020-08-14 10:32 AM

Some facts and figures on child poverty in the UK-

https://cpag.org.uk/child-poverty/child-poverty-facts-and-figures

Nothing short of disgrace in a developed country.

I agree, it's disgraceful for what is supposedly the worlds fifth wealthiest nation but neither of the Chuckle brothers have an ounce of empathy in them so will totally ignore that link.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-14 3:58 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-08-14 10:32 AM

Some facts and figures on child poverty in the UK-

https://cpag.org.uk/child-poverty/child-poverty-facts-and-figures

Nothing short of disgrace in a developed country.

I agree, it's disgraceful for what is supposedly the worlds fifth wealthiest nation but neither of the Chuckle brothers have an ounce of empathy in them so will totally ignore that link.

I guess some of us know what being poor was really like ;-) ........

And they weren't obese in my youth 8-) ..........

Poverty is defined by Child Poverty Action as "poverty is relative – you are poor if you are unable to live at the standard that most other people would expect. A child can have three meals a day, warm clothes and go to school, but still be poor because her parents don’t have enough money to ensure she can live in a warm home, have access to a computer to do her homework, or go on the same school trips as her classmates." That definition doesn't require that chldren are going hungry, merely that they are not getting things (because their family cannot afford them) which most families expect to provide for their children in that society.

That doesn't strike me as an unreasonable way for a charity to define it's objective for a satisfactory standard for childrens' wellbeing but is it reasonable to use the word "poverty" for that purpose, as if it were a threshold of desperate need, which is perhaps what the word poverty implies to many people?

Wikipedia defines poverty as "not having enough material possessions or income for a person's needs. ... Absolute poverty is the complete lack of the means necessary to meet basic personal needs, such as food, clothing, and shelter.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-08-14 4:41 PM

Poverty is defined by Child Poverty Action as "poverty is relative – you are poor if you are unable to live at the standard that most other people would expect. A child can have three meals a day, warm clothes and go to school, but still be poor because her parents don’t have enough money to ensure she can live in a warm home, have access to a computer to do her homework, or go on the same school trips as her classmates." That definition doesn't require that chldren are going hungry, merely that they are not getting things (because their family cannot afford them) which most families expect to provide for their children in that society.

That doesn't strike me as an unreasonable way for a charity to define it's objective for a satisfactory standard for childrens' wellbeing but is it reasonable to use the word "poverty" for that purpose, as if it were a threshold of desperate need, which is perhaps what the word poverty implies to many people?

Wikipedia defines poverty as "not having enough material possessions or income for a person's needs. ... Absolute poverty is the complete lack of the means necessary to meet basic personal needs, such as food, clothing, and shelter.

It's kinda ironic, that the only bloke on here who was brought up 6 in a 2 bed rented flat, is being lambasted for not knowing about poor folk :D ............

I guess I just never knew I was poor 8-) .........

Yet they seem to hate me being comfortably off evenmore ;-) ........

Perhaps this victim has got above his station in our new LLLLB world (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

pelmetman - 2020-08-14 3:25 PM

Two big chaps + me in my household. Just did an ASDA shop for the week, including necessaries like cleaning stuff-came to £184. I don't eat a lot and my BMI is around 23.

I accept I only costed the ingredients and not all of them would have been used up in the cauliflower bake. I couldn't get more than one meal out of a cauliflower. You and your better half must eat like birds Dave.

And as for being poor I come from a single income family with 6 kids. Back in the 60s we had really good school dinners and as I recall at one time we qualified for free school meals. Apart from those meals we ate rather a lot of bread and biscuits and four out of six of us were a bit lardy. We did give our parents a bad time for being a bit feckless when it came to the size of our family mind. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2020-08-14 4:58 PM

Two big chaps + me in my household. Just did an ASDA shop for the week, including necessaries like cleaning stuff-came to £184. I don't eat a lot and my BMI is around 23.

I accept I only costed the ingredients and not all of them would have been used up in the cauliflower bake. I couldn't get more than one meal out of a cauliflower. You and your better half must eat like birds Dave.

And as for being poor I come from a single income family with 6 kids. Back in the 60s we had really good school dinners and as I recall at one time we qualified for free school meals. Apart from those meals we ate rather a lot of bread and biscuits and four out of six of us were a bit lardy. We did give our parents a bad time for being a bit feckless when it came to the size of our family mind. :-D

You went to Asda? 8-) ..........I only click & collect if I cant get the staff to deliver ;-) ........

I bet you were one of those lucky council house types with a garden and your own bedroom? 8-) .......

BTW we don't eat like we used to, and I'm no longer borderline obese B-) ........

Which is prolly a good thing with Chinky Flu doing the rounds B-) ...........

Seems given her last post she spends a lot at the supermarket ... Maybe she could spend less and give more to those in child poverty ... How the other half live eh ???

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-08-14 5:45 PM

Seems given her last post she spends a lot at the supermarket ... Maybe she could spend less and give more to those in child poverty ... How the other half live eh ???

Well to be fair ;-) ........

We are now prolly spending that much in the UK 8-) .........

My prefered giggle juice has gone from less than £2 a bottle to over £7 :'( ..........

But hey.......I doubt my equity will run out before my liver :D .......

I didn’t think we were particularly poor in the mid 50’s but I do remember a time when we only had 1 lightbulb ( a LLLLB if I’m not mistaken) to move around room to room depending on which one we were in,because we couldn’t afford more.

My wife ,when working in schools, used to go (voluntarily) to pick up a 5/6 year old boy ,give him a clean set of clothes that she had washed ,bring him in to school and give him breakfast. His mother who had about 9 kids couldn’t give a toss ,was now into her new baby. Guess who’s paying for that.

StuartO - 2020-08-14 4:41 PM

By that definition most pensioners are in poverty.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-14 6:05 PM

I didn’t think we were particularly poor in the mid 50’s but I do remember a time when we only had 1 lightbulb ( a LLLLB if I’m not mistaken) to move around room to room depending on which one we were in,because we couldn’t afford more.

My wife ,when working in schools, used to go (voluntarily) to pick up a 5/6 year old boy ,give him a clean set of clothes that she had washed ,bring him in to school and give him breakfast. His mother who had about 9 kids couldn’t give a toss ,was now into her new baby. Guess who’s paying for that.

Luxury :D .......

My wife can recall when she had to live off one tin of beans for the week :$ .......

Whilst we lived on a motor yacht 8-) .........

We woz proper Poor back then :D ..........

Archived