Liesure Battery Shelf Weight Limit

chetwyne2

I have recently purchased an Auto-Trail Apache 634L (2008), and it currently has 1 leisure battery fitted. The leisure battery compartment takes 2 batteries. Before I fit a second battery I was wondering what the weight limit is for the battery shelf? Appreciate if anybody could answer this question.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

If (as I suspect) there is nothing in your Auto-Trail handbook regarding a weight limitation, nor any label about this in the leisure-battery compartment, I believe you'll need to contact Auto-Trail for advice if you are really concerned about this issue and want a certain answer.

A typical around-100Ah leisure-battery will weigh about 24kg and, if the battery compartment is clearly sized to accommodate two batteries, it's reasonable to assume that the shelf on which those batteries will sit will have been designed to easily carry the extra load. Historically, it's been commonplace for Auto-Trail to offer a second leisure-battery as a factory option, or to provide a supplementary wiring harness for owners who wished to add a 2nd battery later on.

I doubt you need to worry, but contacting Auto-Trail would be no bad thing and at least your mind would then be at ease.

I do remember being told (years ago) about a Rapido owner who had inexpertly DIY-modified his expensive motorhome's 'in floor' battery compartment so that more and bigger leisure-batteries could be installed. Not long after, the complete battery compartment parted company with the floor and the whole lot fell on to the road and was smashed by the vehicle's rear axle. So congratulations on asking your question as I don't recall it ever being asked previously.

chetwyne2 - 2020-08-10 12:30 PM

I have recently purchased an Auto-Trail Apache 634L (2008), and it currently has 1 leisure battery fitted. The leisure battery compartment takes 2 batteries. Before I fit a second battery I was wondering what the weight limit is for the battery shelf? Appreciate if anybody could answer this question.

Thanks.

I think Derek has fully answered your query re the load bearing capabilities of the battery compartment.

One other thing that also needs to be borne in mind, however, that unless you know that the existing leisure battery is only a matter of a few months old, you would be well advised to buy two as a matched pair, as the standard advice is that where two batteries are fitted, both should be of the same type, ideally make and model, and above all, age.

If a new battery is installed alongside an old battery, the old battery will quickly drag the new one down to a similar state deterioration, so you lose most of the benefit of the newer battery.

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-10 2:06 PM

One other thing that also needs to be borne in mind, however, that unless you know that the existing leisure battery is only a matter of a few months old, you would be well advised to buy two as a matched pair, as the standard advice is that where two batteries are fitted, both should be of the same type, ideally make and model, and above all, age.

If a new battery is installed alongside an old battery, the old battery will quickly drag the new one down to a similar state deterioration, so you lose most of the benefit of the newer battery.

I totally agree with Brian. Unless the existing battery is less than six months old and you can match it IDENTICALLY (make, chemistry and capacity) then you will have to fit a pair of new batteries.

Batteries have an internal resistance and if not identical then one becomes a load on the other and will drag both down to the lowest common denominator, in which case you would have been better off just sticking with the one original.

Keith.

Where parallel-connecting bateries is concerned, Exide used to advise an 'age diffeence’ of 1 year maximum.

Two useful links

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/add-a-second-battery.php

http://www.motts.org/second%20leisiure%20battery.htm

(It’s stating the obvious, perhaps, but to be able to know when a battery was made it will be necessary to find a ‘date code’ on it and be able to decipher that code.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived