RCD switch stuck!

_Chris

Just been out to the van to connect it up to the mains and switch the fridge on so that its nice and cold for in the morning for setting off to Lincolnshire coast and NO MAINS IN VAN!

I remember turning the RCD off when we used the van 3 weeks ago since I read somewhere that its good practice to do that before connecting to EHU on-site so I thought I'd get into the habit.

Now the switch is stuck in the 'off' position. I've got the unit off, its a Hager CD 240U 40A, 30mA unit, but I can't see any way into it.

Looks like a new one is needed?

Cheers

Chris :'(

Hi Keith,

Yes, power going into MH.

I gave it a squirt of WD. Not sure if I should have done that really. Anyway, it went on after a bit of a soak followed by some brute force.

All seems well now, although I don't feel inclined to test it again!

;-)

A full test on the electrical system will confirm that the RCD is operating within the correct limits of current and time. Pushing the test button only tests that a trip occurs, its no indication that its working within design safely limits.

Reports suggest that where electrical testing is carried up to 10% of RCDs fail to comply. One report on a caravan park found 50% failures. The usual failure is caused by dust and moisture inside the unit. A motor home is a harsh environment for a sensitive electromechanical device. A motor home or caravan is considered by the electrical safety standards to have a greater risk of electric shock so it would seem sensible to ensure that the electrical protective equipment is maintained in top condition and that electrical testing is carried out at regular intervals.

Mike

Archived