Scottish campsites

dawki

I have not been here for some time and there may be some repetition in my views.

I used to frequent Caithness and Sutherland but would never go back there due to the vast overcrowding and difficulty of getting sites at short notice.

Where I live on Isle of Mull apart from the camp sites motorhomes and camper vans are widely detested due to the antisocial behaviour of a minority and their antisocial driving habits.

Last week two vans parked across all the disabled bays opposite our main shop plus another 3 spaces and sat in their vans having lunch ignoring the chaos caused. Another parked nose on to the Main Street railings and stayed overnight blocking half the street. I have witnessed some emptying what was probably grey water on to the flower beds in the car park and there are obvious signs ( toilet paper) of cassettes being emptied there as well.

Sorry but motorhomes and campervans which I have had since the mid 1960’s are no longer acceptable in many places in Scotland because of the large numbers and bad behaviour of largely I suspect hired motorhome users.

bodach - 2020-08-22 4:38 PM

I have not been here for some time and there may be some repetition in my views.

I used to frequent Caithness and Sutherland but would never go back there due to the vast overcrowding and difficulty of getting sites at short notice.

Where I live on Isle of Mull apart from the camp sites motorhomes and camper vans are widely detested due to the antisocial behaviour of a minority and their antisocial driving habits.

Last week two vans parked across all the disabled bays opposite our main shop plus another 3 spaces and sat in their vans having lunch ignoring the chaos caused. Another parked nose on to the Main Street railings and stayed overnight blocking half the street. I have witnessed some emptying what was probably grey water on to the flower beds in the car park and there are obvious signs ( toilet paper) of cassettes being emptied there as well.

Sorry but motorhomes and campervans which I have had since the mid 1960’s are no longer acceptable in many places in Scotland because of the large numbers and bad behaviour of largely I suspect hired motorhome users.

You could just as easily find examples of bad car drivers, cyclists, bus passengers, train passengers, etc etc but would you ban all those as well

I made no mention of banning anyone. As a motorhome owner this affects me as well. Many of the stopping places we used in the past have been closed off and while I now prefer a club site the alternative option is no longer there.I have not been able to get a booking at Rosemarkie now even at off peak periods for a couple of years and Dunnet Bay likewise. I do not book 12 months ahead but only a couple of weeks at most as I cannot forecast so far ahead.

Tiree requires you to have a site booking before being allowed on a ferry in Oban and the outer isles are requesting this also tho’ it does not seem to be in force yet.

Hopefully this flood will abate and we get back to manageable numbers but I am not holding my breath.

John52 - 2020-08-22 6:35 PM

You could just as easily find examples of bad car drivers, cyclists, bus passengers, train passengers, etc etc but would you ban all those as well

I would, if some of them they started emptying grey and black waste everywhere.

:-(

Living in Inverness, we are away most weekends around the Highlands ... or at least were. The last month has been so Full of caravans, motorhomes and campervans, we cannot believe it.

We went to Glencoe and met a group of 4 families who had hired 4 motorhomes from Perth and just driven up. They had no idea how to level out, attach power, who to fill up water ... never mind how or where to empty it. They came over and asked me for help which I gave. I did ask if the rental company had explained to them what to do and they said yes, but could not really understand it when it came to doing it. I am sure we all remember learning.

When they left the next day, the were 4 in a line and certainly never left any space between. I can see them being a hazard on the roads - perhaps unfairly.

As for sites on NC500 route, yes they are all packed. And many are closed.

We off on our Scottish trip on Monday so Many thanks for all your reply’s to this thread

It’s been a bit of a nightmare trying to find sites with any spaces but got there in the end and a few of the tips given were a big help

Archived