Unruly motor caravaners.

Conrad

Conrad - 2020-08-18 5:20 PM

Please be considerate folks.

Yes please!

Lots of problems in Highland Scotland also mainly by "dirty campers" ie people arriving in tents, pitching anywhere they fancy, leaving waste including their cheap Tesco tent, alcohol, noise etc

But mohos/campervans are guilty as well though not to the same extent. Driving onto the machair, dumping waste, emplying cassettes in ditches, obstructing the road etc.

There is a recently formed FB Group - "NC500 The Land Weeps". Whilst it has become a 'moanathon' there are legitimate grievances and our reputation is being dragged down with the significant minority

An example of behaviour featured today on the FB page - grey waste ALLEGEDLY being dumped in a parking area drain

117907288_1775593999273500_2047876607409659227_n.jpg.776e0d9f6310ba45d700be41b9f4e632.jpg

colin - 2020-08-18 6:04 PM

Just maybe the 'local economy' would be helped if there was extra parking made available, not by banning people going there.

That of course doesn't just apply to motorhomers. I live in Dorset and council's have have used the same arguments about day trippers visiting the area and leaving rubbish, parking antisocially, overnighting on the beach, using the area as a toilet etc etc etc.

The authorities were rubbing their hands at the thought of all that stayvacation money until they found out they might have to do something to earn it.

rayc - 2020-08-18 7:38 PM

Just maybe the 'local economy' would be helped if there was extra parking made available, not by banning people going there.

That of course doesn't just apply to motorhomers. I live in Dorset and council's have have used the same arguments about day trippers visiting the area and leaving rubbish, parking antisocially, overnighting on the beach, using the area as a toilet etc etc etc.

The authorities were rubbing their hands at the thought of all that stayvacation money until they found out they might have to do something to earn it.

Sorry but having spent my career managing local government leisure and tourism services, I can assured you that the meagre amount of extra car parking income in high season never gets near covering the cost of unthinking, selfish tourists. You would not believe the crap and litter that tourists leave usually with the attitude "it's the Council's job to clear it up". It's the local council tax payers that bear the cost on slim budgets thanks to years of central government cuts. All the commercial income from pubs, cafes and shops does not of course go to any council but to the private sector. Local government has to literally pick up the rubbish and worse left by the tourists. Many areas now have voluntary clean up groups because the council budget is inadequate. Thoughtless, selfish, self entitled tourists are the problem, not the local authorities.

And don't get me started on the cost of clearing up after a visit from groups of travellers, the cost of legal action, cleansing, waste disposal, restoration of gates, locks and such things as play equipment is simply, astronomic.

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-08-18 8:32 PM

Sorry but having spent my career managing local government leisure and tourism services, I can assured you that the meagre amount of extra car parking income in high season never gets near covering the cost of unthinking, selfish tourists. You would not believe the crap and litter that tourists leave usually with the attitude "it's the Council's job to clear it up". It's the local council tax payers that bear the cost on slim budgets thanks to years of central government cuts. All the commercial income from pubs, cafes and shops does not of course go to any council but to the private sector. Local government has to literally pick up the rubbish and worse left by the tourists. Many areas now have voluntary clean up groups because the council budget is inadequate. Thoughtless, selfish, self entitled tourists are the problem, not the local authorities.

And don't get me started on the cost of clearing up after a visit from groups of travellers, the cost of legal action, cleansing, waste disposal, restoration of gates, locks and such things as play equipment is simply, astronomic.

Its strange how the French manage to provide motorhome parking in just about every town and village but British councils seem incapable of exploiting the situation

goldi - 2020-08-19 2:21 PM

Its strange how the French manage to provide motorhome parking in just about every town and village but British councils seem incapable of exploiting the situation

Exactly. Stubbornly and ignorantly all they do here is have a rant, complain about motorhomers having a free holiday or some such nonsense then ban them everywhere in the false belief that we will all go and use their campsites when what actually happens is the majority of us naff of for months on end to mainland Europe (normally) taking our considerable spending money with us.

I think this is how the French Aires got going though. Too many campers just parking where they like so they built Aires for them. Sadly the attitude in France is different from several angles. Motorhomes are respected and owning one is something to aspire to. Here we are pretty much considered one step up from gypsies. The French are less territorial. Ive been on aires in French towns and villages close to houses or with great views that would never get passed here. Brits cant stand to see someone else get something for free or have something they cant have so there is resentment on that score. UK Does not always have the space or spare land France has but thats not the case everywhere. I was at the park and ride in Bridlington yesterday. Right by the sea and not too long a walk into town. Its absolutely massive. Even in August its got loads of space. Huge height barrier. They could easily offer 100 spaces for vans there at say a fiver a night and three quid for services. It would be full all summer.

I think the French are helped by the fact that their country is twice the size of ours - with the same size population as us.

If you add to that the disdain that the U.K. establishment and media have traditionally had for camping, it's not really surprising that we have a problem.

:-|

This subject has been discussed several times on this forum.

However, at the risk of boring forum readers...... one of the main reasons that there are so few British aires is because we have national and local bye laws that prohibit sleeping in vehicles overnight in most public places. Generalising, most other countries across The Channel and especially France, do not have such laws. More importantly they have a difference system of local government to the UK, they have locally elected and financially empowered Mayors who are also the Chief Executive. Local decision making is paramount and funded which is why you see so much superb local flower displays and street furniture when you drive round Europe.

Decisions on overnight stops are taken and funded locally. As mentioned there is also a lot more roadside/riverside space for aires. Finally, French/German/Dutch residents have long demanded Aires, probably over 50 years or more and this has driven provision.

So there will be no overnight change in this situation but there are signs that some more enlightened local authorities are making the effort to provide Aires. It takes a determined senior politician and supportive senior officers to make the necessary local legal changes plus a suitable location and long term funding to provide and then maintain/service the facility. St Annes on Sea is a good example of this as is Canterbury. Maybe more local authorities will follow but first they need to understand what an Aires is and secondly they need to see a net benefit before they will go ahead with the project.

Maybe one answer is to get UK campsites to provide Aires at the front of their campsites as you often find in Europe. Or maybe that's being too hopeful :-D

Brit Stops etc work well and are possibly the best we will get, we do have lots of pubs with large car parks that need income.

I'm resigned to accepting that we are never going to get many British Aires due to the stranglehold of bye laws and the major campsite operators who see them as unwelcome competition (bread from our mouths etc...).

Anyone up for asking the CCC and CMC to provide Aires??!! Don't waste your time.

It is what it is as they say.

Archived