What's on Yours?

Guest starspirit

Thats just your paranoia Flicka. If they wanted to they could just copy your registration number off the van. While people can get around the number plate laws of requiring ID and registration documents to get number plates made by calling them "show plates" there is no difficulty getting new plates made.

Richard, why would I want to tow a motorhome. The clue is in the name me old tater, MOTOR-home, it has a motor in it.

Innit?

D.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest starspirit

So as it has a motor in it Dave one assumes it moves off pitch occasionally?

In which case it is no longer your pitch marker me old fruit?

Personally I've never used a pitch marker mainly because we hardly ever use a site and even when we do it's usually just an overnight stop so it's just more clutter - along with mains leads.

Guest starspirit

Sorry Dave - I guess being a nomad I'm just not used to motor caravanners staying on a site and never leaving it until going home time!

Don't put your registration number on otherwise when you change vans you'll have to get another otherwise all the 'pitch neighbours' will think you've nicked the sign!!!

But then again ... that could prove some entertainment for all the curtain twitchers when they're not stuck in front of their goggle-box! 8-)

Guest starspirit

Wouldn't you just love P155OFF as your own personal registration?

It gets my vote as a clear winner - so far?

How about "KEEP DRIVING DUDE!"? That's sixteen characters. I quite like that one.

As a former touring caravanner, when I went off site I left behind a caravan, awning and enough paraphenalia to sink a battleship so territory marking was never much of an issue. It was of course annoying to come back to find someone had plonked a unit so close to mine I could no longer get the car in and hook up the battery umbilical. So a marker might have helped.

As I still await delivery of the bus which will admit me to the Honourable Company of Motorhomers I would like to canvas some thoughts on pitch marking. Please indulge me and forgive a neophyte's ignorance.

What is the etiquette around pitch marking, and is it respected? What does one do if it is ignored?

What's the attitude of site owners? Do they take the view that if you leave a pitch you can jolly well find another one? Would they get involved, Solomon-like pronouncing judgement between customers facing each other, awning poles drawn and looking for blood?

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-03-18 9:32 PM

What is the etiquette around pitch marking, and is it respected? What does one do if it is ignored?

What's the attitude of site owners? Do they take the view that if you leave a pitch you can jolly well find another one? Would they get involved, Solomon-like pronouncing judgement between customers facing each other, awning poles drawn and looking for blood?

Bob

A lot of big sites (inc most Club ones) allocate you a pitch, and mark it on their board in reception, so if someone else parked on it while you were out the site staff would probably ask them to move. And on "Aires" etc you can't really reserve a pitch (but see below!), so it's on the smaller commercial sites that "marking out" helps. A sign, or a piece of furniture, is usually respected but I don't know if it would be "enforceable" if it came to blows.

Slightly off thread, but ...

We arrived at the Aire at l'Aiguillon-sur-Mer in Aug '05 & noticed one of the best spots, with a view outwards, had a table and two chairs plonked in the middle of it. Having found a nearby spot ourselves, I was seriously tempted to just move the furniture to one side so someone else would pitch there, then wait and watch what happened (I bottled out I'm afraid!). Remembering all we'd heard from "package-people" about towels on sunloungers, we wondered about the nationality of people who'd try to reserve a spot on an Aire. Sure enough, a big wagon with "D" plates swung in later, when the place was otherwise full up! I don't really "do" stereotypes, but some folks insist on living up to them!

Tony Jones - 2007-03-19 10:48 AM

Usinmyknaus - 2007-03-18 9:32 PM

Bob

A lot of big sites (inc most Club ones) allocate you a pitch, and mark it on their board in reception, so if someone else parked on it while you were out the site staff would probably ask them to move. And on "Aires" etc you can't really reserve a pitch (but see below!), so it's on the smaller commercial sites that "marking out" helps. A sign, or a piece of furniture, is usually respected but I don't know if it would be "enforceable" if it came to blows.

Slightly off thread, but ...

We arrived at the Aire at l'Aiguillon-sur-Mer in Aug '05 & noticed one of the best spots, with a view outwards, had a table and two chairs plonked in the middle of it. Having found a nearby spot ourselves, I was seriously tempted to just move the furniture to one side so someone else would pitch there, then wait and watch what happened (I bottled out I'm afraid!). Remembering all we'd heard from "package-people" about towels on sunloungers, we wondered about the nationality of people who'd try to reserve a spot on an Aire. Sure enough, a big wagon with "D" plates swung in later, when the place was otherwise full up! I don't really "do" stereotypes, but some folks insist on living up to them!

hi tony, i have been on a club site, and came back late (after 6pm) to find a caravan on the pitch. result given another pitch, i was not happy

pete

But thats the point Pete. If you have not marked your pitch and made it clear that its already taken then there,s not much you can say.

Having someone ignore your marker is a different story, and something I simply would not tolerate.

howie - 2007-03-19 11:46 AM

But thats the point Pete. If you have not marked your pitch and made it clear that its already taken then there,s not much you can say.

Having someone ignore your marker is a different story, and something I simply would not tolerate.

point is though howie; if they book you onto a pitch, and put it on display outside the office that the following pitches are taken?

pete

Guest starspirit
howie - 2007-03-19 11:46 AM

You don't get much choice about tolerating it Howie if you come back and find a caravan and awning with windbreaks etc set up on what once was your pitch because I doubt even the warden would get them to move. Much easier to relocate you.

If its obvious that the pitch has already been taken by whatever means, and they still take it over, then you are dealing with someone who lacks decency and good manners and they should be treated as such.

On principle alone, I would raise such a fuss that they would think twice about doing this again and hopefully get the message through that such behaviour will not be tolerated either on club sites or private ones for that matter.

Just one of those things I feel strongly about Pete.

Archived