Strange sayings

net-traveller

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-21 5:07 PM

Don't joke! My first job in my school holidays was as a wash leather wringer-outer for a one-armed window cleaner.

Was it George Formby Frank? You'll be telling us next that you've got a degree in diplomacy. :-D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's cold enough for two pair of braces." St Helens, Lancs.

"Your not too big for a crack." A popular warning in certain Northern parts, My mother-in-law's favourite saying, Salford. (Yes, physical violence is being threatened.)

"If brains were dynamite, he couldn't blow his hat off." Origin unknown.

"Hampshire born, Hampshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the 'ead." West Sussex borders.

Well, I'll go 't foot of our stairs." An expression of puzzlement or astonishment, Salford.

Bob

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Geoff Bell - 2007-03-21 10:24 PM
Bazza454 - 2007-03-20 4:20 PM

"If the good Lord decided to give England an enema, then the tube would probably go in Bolton".

Nothing to say about this one Frank, not like you, or did you just miss it.

I'll have you know my good man that Bolton, or the part where I live anyway, is the Beverley Hills of Lancashire!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Bazza454 - 2007-03-21 10:40 PM

Frank,

Does that mean that you don't have to go outside to the Loo???

Not only do we not go outside but I've three bathrooms and four loos - all indoors!

However, the three baths have coal in them.

Frank I,m only an Essex girl but I have 8 bedrooms 1 wetroom 2 showers 1 bathroom 1 soft play room and room on the drive for another camper .

no coal in the bath though unless the daughters used it after being in the forge allday :D :D :D

michele - 2007-03-21 10:54 PM Frank I,m only an Essex girl but I have 8 bedrooms 1 wetroom 2 showers 1 bathroom 1 soft play room and room on the drive for another camper . no coal in the bath though unless the daughters used it after being in the forge allday :D :D :D

Michele,

Can't believe that you are originally from Essex, if you are, surely you should have been christened Sharon or Tracey.....

Geoff Bell - 2007-03-21 10:08 PM

A ship being a sheep? Hello, what do you call a field full of them a Floatilla?

'Pulling the wool over his eyes' Now I know about sheep see, so answers please to the origins of this one and the answer will be revealed later.

LATER

After shearing, with the sheep still on its back, (No don't even go there) if you want it to remain in that position instead of getting up and running around it is possible to lay part of the fleece over its eyes and it will stay until it is removed. Hence the saying when you are being fooled.

Believe me or am I bluffing? ;-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
michele - 2007-03-21 10:54 PM Frank I,m only an Essex girl but I have 8 bedrooms 1 wetroom 2 showers 1 bathroom 1 soft play room and room on the drive for another camper . no coal in the bath though unless the daughters used it after being in the forge allday :D :D :D

That's the difference you see. Eight bedrooms and only 2 showers and one bath. Is the wet-room for guests who can't get into a bathroom?

I'm going to bed now!

My favourite re - the power of a vehicle

"It could not pull a fish out of water"

And one for when you are totally knackered after a long hike and sitting down to a great meal and someone asks you to pass the salt:-

"I am so tired I am not sure I could pass water"

Then you ask what is for breakfast?

“Scrambled (or whatever) eggs” is the reply

“Well I’ll be bound!”

(lol) (lol)

Mel B - 2007-03-21 5:12 PM

My Mum used to clop us one and then say "That's a warning, now be careful"!!! 8-)

Dave - as for the "spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" saying, I believe it comes from the use of tar to help protect sores/wounds on sheep in days gone by, a ship being a sheep.

How's that then Dave? Do I get a gold star? :-S

How about "spare the rod, spoil the child"? Nothing to do with fishing! (lol)

Spot on Mel. Its actually a Yorkshire saying form the days when Shepherds used tar to protect minor cuts on sheep from infection. Most people, and indeed I used to be one of them, beleive it to be from the days of wooden ships when the joints were caulked with hemp rope sealed with tar.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-03-22 8:58 AM

Most people, and indeed I used to be one of them, beleive it to be from the days of wooden ships when the joints were caulked with hemp rope sealed with tar.

I'd always been told that as well Dave.

A saying on Tees-side, in referring to a bargain, is "Can't fall off at that price". No idea of its origins.

Graham

Archived