2015 Ducato PVC Exhaust Silencer replacement (difficulty sourcing)

veletron

There are Construction & Use regulations about the position of the exhaust’s outlet (must be at rear or on off-side) but - as Deneb has said - those rules apply specifically to minibuses.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/schedule/6/made

I’ve always been under the impression that motorhomes (whatever their type) built by UK converters would follow the ‘minibus’ format regarding their exhaust outlet’s postion (ie. at rear or on UK-offside)

The three photos below show two Peugeot Boxer-based Auto-Sleepers PVCs - a 2010 Symbol and a 2019 Warwick XL - and a Boxer-based 2017 Moto-Trek Leisure Treka EB. All three have a UK-offside exhaust outlet (arrowed) though the outlet’s position varies.

My LHD Rapido’s exhaust enters on the UK-offside into a large transverse silencer and exits from the silencer’s opposite end to an outlet on the UK-nearside (as should be evident from the photo on my last posting). Plainly, if the exhaust from the Fiat 2.3litre motor fitted to my LHD Rapido follows a similar initial pathway for RHD Ducatos, a very differnt exhaust layout would be needed for the outlet to emerge on the UK-offside.

2010symbol.jpg.c5c7d193a72f660a24b8e000de363ef2.jpg

2019warwick.jpg.7c69af2e548fd1c858f9657825861a69.jpg

2017leisuretreka.jpg.a1df6ab99839524388c43cbfba5a0590.jpg

Deneb - 2020-10-28 9:40 AM

On my PVC the exhaust emerges just in front of the rear axle, to the right-hand side (UK RHD 6.0m PVC). I would imagine that back-to-back cabs supplied for coachbuilt and other conversions with Alko or spaceframe chassis are more likely to be fitted with a "compact" exhaust system that remains largely within the confines of the undercab area. Possibly later panel vans have the longer tailpipe to accommodate the inline particulate filter?

Yes, that is the standard 'white van man' arrangement for the Ducato. Many factory-converted PVC's (but not all), have the more compact exhaust which exits just behind the cab doors rather than just in front of the rear wheels. This then makes space for transverse gas tanks, underslung waste and fresh tanks etc. I don't believe that there is an issue obtaining the compact exhaust which exits on UK offside, just the compact exhaust which exits on UK nearside. The standard 'white van man' longer exhaust exiting on the nearside is also readily available.

My garage's supplier has sourced this exhaust, and it should be with them Thursday for fitting. Hopefully its the right one, they do seem confident.

I have used this garage for over ~12 years for my vans - and am happy to recommend them to others! Stirling Auto Services for anyone else in my area or passing Stirling on the M9 with a van that needs attention!

Karen

veletron - 2020-10-28 11:42 AM

Yes, that is the standard 'white van man' arrangement for the Ducato. Many factory-converted PVC's (but not all), have the more compact exhaust which exits just behind the cab doors rather than just in front of the rear wheels. This then makes space for transverse gas tanks, underslung waste and fresh tanks etc. I don't believe that there is an issue obtaining the compact exhaust which exits on UK offside, just the compact exhaust which exits on UK nearside. The standard 'white van man' longer exhaust exiting on the nearside is also readily available.

My van has all of those items and the exhaust, which runs along the offside of the van close to the outer sill of the van body, doesn't interfere with any of them.

There are heat shields fitted to some components such as a length of the handbrake cable, which crosses above the pipe. That would be the same, albeit in possibly a different section of the cable, for the forward exit exhaust though.

The only real downside I have noticed is that the tailpipe exits quite close to the tank drain taps, and it is easy to brush one's hand against the end of the pipe when operating the tap. I have never found the end of the tailpipe to be dangerously hot when doing that, but it can mean a slightly grubby hand!

I'm aware of someone having suffered a melted water filler pipe though, which was routed to cross above the exhaust, during a forced regeneration to cure a blocked DPF. I have wrapped both my exhaust and the filler pipe with thermal exhaust wrap in the relevant area, to reduce any similar risk.

Glad you have found a replacement, anyway.

Back in the days when exhausts only lasted a couple of years, we repaired the breakdown truck exhaust with bits salvaged from other vehicles. Until it developed into such a mess we finally bought a new one 8-) The increase in performance was amazing - over 10mph added to the top speed just by fitting the correct exhaust - which seems to be tuned to the engine.

I vowed to always get the correct exhaust after that - designed by the vehicle manufacturer, rather than one that had been made up by someone else.

witzend - 2020-10-27 11:44 PM

There are places who fabricate new stainless exhaust systems I know of a owner of a old v8 Land Rover who had one made it looked excellent

Here's one but a google search shows dozens all over UK http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/

These aren't made up from a box of universal bits by a back street bodger all systems are computer designed to suit individual vehicles taking into account 10 key points and it appears a life time guaranty

Problem is stainless steel isn't as malleable as mild steel. The tests I saw showed stainless steel exhausts not lasting longer than mild steel because they cracked instead of rusting. Which is presumably why vehicle manufacturers didn't fit them. But that was many years ago and things might have changed.

Both our Suzi's have original fitment stainless exhausts, Iggy is 16 y.o. and SX is 7 y.o. A weld cracked at front of Iggy last year which we rewelded. One of the old arguments against stainless was they clogged up over time, not much of a problem with modern 'clean burn' engines.

Hi

To bring this to a close, my garage sourced a suitable exhaust (non-OEM) made by a UK manufacturer Klarius Exhausts. No idea what they are like, time will tell!

The Klarius part number is: FT887H

UK Part: FT887H | EU Part: 231201 | Desc: Fiat Ducato 3.0JTD LHD 06> Exhaust | OEM Part: 1356538080

Thanks for everyone's input here - the garage did not need it, but it might help folks in the future.

I had the timing belt done as well, the bill was not very pleasant!

Karen

Archived