Autotrail Imala 615

blacksmith

I hope you really enjoy your new van when it comes, I'm sure you will....

We have had the Autotrail T615 for four years now ( ours is the slightly less plush "Tribute" version but with Driver & Lux packs).

I am one of possibly the silent majority (!?). We have had no problems at all with ours so far but I don't normally like to tempt fate by saying so ! We consider the layout perfect giving adequate lounging space during the day and are young and sprightly enough to be able to convert the lounge to twin singles in less than four minutes at night. I think it is a good looking van on both the inside and outside. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but we love ours. Ours has been on dozens of car ferries as we criss cross on our tours.

Let's hope 2021 brings some opportunities to use our vans..... :-)

Hi there

It great to hear some positive stuff about the Imala ! We are really looking forward to picking up our van but it's very frustrating knowing it's sitting there waiting for us due to lockdown. Hopefully it won't be too long. I just wondered what kind of fuel consumption you get from your van, although our engine is a 140 bhp with adblue engine but a comparison would be helpful

Many thank for you comments .

I'm sorry I can't really help with that..........!

I have no idea at all....!

I have two grown up children in the frontline emergency services, a stressful job of my own and all the usual family and in-law worries.....! I don't spend anytime worrying about minor issues like fuel consumption !

We put diesel in it when the fuel gauge tells us to, it's not bad on fuel but I don't keep any records.

In the overall scheme of life, and the total cost of the hobby, what you spend on a splash of diesel will be of no consequence....!

Get out there as soon as we can and enjoy your nice van....!

blacksmith

The Imala 615 model has a largish frontal area, so wind resistance will be quite high. You’ll be very lucky to average over 30mpg and somewhere in the range 25mpg-30mpg would be realistic. It very much depends on the type of roads you are driving it on and how hard you choose to drive it.

It’s perhaps stating the obvious, but, if the motorhome won’t be handed over to you before the end of February, presumably whoever currently has it will be ensuring that its tyres are inflated ‘hard’, that it is being moved occasionaly (to guard aganst tyre ‘flat spotting’,) and that the charge-state of its batteries is being maintained. There’s plenty of time left between now and March for some savagely cold weather, so the Imala’s water system needs to have been properly drained to protect against potential frost damage.

blacksmith - 2021-01-09 11:21 AM

Hi there

It great to hear some positive stuff about the Imala ! We are really looking forward to picking up our van but it's very frustrating knowing it's sitting there waiting for us due to lockdown. Hopefully it won't be too long. I just wondered what kind of fuel consumption you get from your van, although our engine is a 140 bhp with adblue engine but a comparison would be helpful

Many thank for you comments .

Our previous AT Tracker FB was returning on average 10.7 Ltr/100 km that's is about 30mpg. It was a 150hp motor. Initially the fuel consumption was higher but as the engine loosened up it improved. Road condition, average speed and wind direction will vary that slightly. Our new Adria has the 180hp engine and with only 4000km on clock is returning around 12.3l/100km. It will improve as the engine loosens up. Cheers,

blacksmith - 2020-11-27 5:19 PM........................I will look at the issue of vehicle size for driving in France as I was not aware of that as we haven't toured abroad before and the height of the van is quite high but we decided to compromise as we like the internal layout and flexible sleeping arrangements ........................

But the extra cost only arises if one uses toll autoroutes. It is easily possible to travel all Over France without using toll roads (we do! :-)), so there is no necessity to incur that added cost. Low bridges, however, are another matter!!

Also, bear in mind that the height of that van increases its frontal area, which in turn increases it fuel consumption.

If you're buying new, why not see if there are alternative fuel tank options you can exercise.

The payload issue may well arise if you begin travelling abroad, as this implies longer trips and probably more stuff - especially as the payload is calculated with no water carried.. If you factor in a full fresh water tank when travelling your payload will shrink by 135kg. It may be worth opting for the maxi chassis if available, even if for present driving licence restrictions it would have to be plated at 3.5 tonnes. If you later decide you want the extra payload and are prepared to take a test to drive heavier vehicles, you will then be able to up-rate the MAM as a paper exercise - which may cost less overall than trying to uprate a max 3.5 tonne MAM chassis. It should also result in less height induced roll on bends/roundabouts.

The 2021 Imala range comprises two ‘short’ 6-Series models (615 and 625, both 6.34m long) plus six longer 7-Series designs (720 model = 7.05m in length and the other 5 are 7.25m long)

Specification details of the 2021 Imala 615 can be found here

https://www.auto-trail.co.uk/imala-615

Fuel tank capacity is given as 60 litres and the available options give no indication that a larger fuel tank is a possibility on ANY of the Imala models.

(In fact, for 2021 Auto-Trail coachbuilt motorhomes, apparently one has to go to the “Frontier” range to have a larger - 90 litres - fuel tank.)

A 3650kg maximum gross weight is a no-cost option for the 615 and 625 (instead of the standard 3500kg) and there’s a footnote that says,

* Heavy chassis upgrade (cost option) is available on all Imala 7 series, Tracker FB, RL, LB, RB & SB. Gross weight increases to 4250kgs (140bhp engine) & 4400kgs (160bhp & 180bhp engines). Gross train weight increases to 5500kgs (140bhp engine) & 5650kgs (160bhp & 180bhp engines).

So a buyer of a 2021 Imala is evidently restricted to a 60 litres fuel tank, and to a 3500kg/3650kg chassis if a 615 or 625 model is chosen.

For what it’s worth, I’ve looked at the 2021 Rapido coachbuilt ranges and models built on a Ducato camping-car ‘light’ chassis have a 75 litres fuel tank, whereas those on a Ducato camping-car 'heavy’ chassis (either as the standard chassis or as a cost-option) have a 90 litres tank.

Archived