Do we need to worry that Boris really has got a Plan?

StuartO

I have been giving Boris and his team the benefit of any doubts until quite recently but the news that our UK Negotiators have just offered a big concession to the EU about fishing (which was supposed to be a fundamental issue of sovereignty) combined with the ease with which France decided on what seemed to me to be an OTT closing of their Channel borders to freight which is outbound from UK (even though it inconveniences lots of returning EU drivers as well as stopping imports of fresh shellfish to Parisian consumers) suggest to me that Boris's plans might now be in tatters - the EU is playing hard ball and holds the important cards, so as we proceed to the end of Transition (and we also have COVID-19 on our hands which is currently running riot) we are looking like absolutely everything might go seriously wrong all at once.

Boris seemed be trying had to play the threat down when he spoke yesterday - they had more or less cleared the lorry queue already and 80% of cross channel frieght goes unaccompanied anyway, so no real problem. But this morning the lorry queue has built up tonearly 1000 already and the French seem to be dragging their heels and getting Boris to organise testing for all the lorry drivers who want to cross to France, so Macron seems to have us by the goolies.

I hope I am being too pessimistic but this is all looking very gloomy. Is Boris driven by determination not to lose personal face over Brexit rather than bending with the wind and asking for an extension of Transition, so that we can all get COVID-19 out of the way first?

malc d - 2020-12-22 1:38 PM

StuartO - 2020-12-22 12:27 PM

Is Boris driven by determination not to lose personal face .....................

Yep

No change there then. ;-)

I don't see it so much as determination not to lose personal face, but rather as determination to retain personal popularity. His risk taking seems more often, to me, to deliberately set him up to lose face. That, I think, is what makes him popular. He may have been to Eton, but he isn't stuck up. I think he is just temperamentally unsuited to to any role that requires the exercise of mature, rational, honest, judgement.

Guest pelmetman

Boris seemed be trying had to play the threat down when he spoke yesterday - they had more or less cleared the lorry queue already and 80% of cross channel frieght goes unaccompanied anyway, so no real problem. But this morning the lorry queue has built up tonearly 1000 already and the French seem to be dragging their heels and getting Boris to organise testing for all the lorry drivers who want to cross to France, so Macron seems to have us by the goolies.

Cant say my goolies are bothered by Macron keeping his fellow EU citizens banged up in the UK :D ........

His fellow Parisians goolies are going to be more annoyed than mine.......Seeing as their Christmas din dins will be ruined by their lack of British Shellfish (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

The 174 lorries appears to have been a fictional figure, it seems it was always around 900 so there has been only a relatively small amount added since.

Whilst it is all well and good saying "only 20%" of goods come in accompanied via Dover, if it doesn't soon restart it will have serious consequences. Meantime some supplies are rerouting via ports outside of France

p.s. It's a bit of a piss take anyway, newCV-19 is all across europe, it may well have come in via Spain, if Hancock hadn't blathered on about newCV-19 being 'out of control' everything would have carried on as usual.

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-22 2:12 PM

Is Boris driven by determination not to lose personal face .....................

Yep

I don't see it so much as determination not to lose personal face, but rather as determination to retain personal popularity. His risk taking seems more often, to me, to deliberately set him up to lose face. That, I think, is what makes him popular. He may have been to Eton, but he isn't stuck up. I think he is just temperamentally unsuited to to any role that requires the exercise of mature, rational, honest, judgement.

Bit late for Johnson to start worrying about losing face Brian, he's been doing that ever since the pandemic started.

As you can see from Daves attempt to change the subject to Macron, even Dave isn't coming out in support of Johnson any more.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-12-22 2:44 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-22 2:12 PM

Yep

Bit late for Johnson to start worrying about losing face Brian, he's been doing that ever since the pandemic started.

As you can see from Daves attempt to change the subject to Macron, even Dave isn't coming out in support of Johnson any more.

:-|

Utter tosh Malc *-) .........

I'm more than impressed of how Boris has managed to get half a million of our folk vaccinated weeks ahead of anyone in the EU B-) .......

I'm also well pleased how he is handling Brexit inspite of YOU LOSERS best attempts to stab him in the back at every turn >:-) ..........

That's why I'm moving on ;-) ........

We Brexiteers have wasted enough time on you LOSERS *-) ..........

colin - 2020-12-22 2:27 PM

The 174 lorries appears to have been a fictional figure, it seems it was always around 900 so there has been only a relatively small amount added since.

Whilst it is all well and good saying "only 20%" of goods come in accompanied via Dover, if it doesn't soon restart it will have serious consequences. Meantime some supplies are rerouting via ports outside of France

p.s. It's a bit of a piss take anyway, newCV-19 is all across europe, it may well have come in via Spain, if Hancock hadn't blathered on about newCV-19 being 'out of control' everything would have carried on as usual.

Not only did he lie about the number of trucks (or was it just his opinion that there were only 174?) but its actually nearer enough half our goods not 20% as he neglected to include the tunnel traffic in that figure which is also stranded. Why? Why constantly try to make things out to be better than they are? Why is it always the sleazy "DFS bad suited salesman" sell?. Its a s**tstorm. Just tell us its a s**tstorm and go and sort it FFS!

This is Johnson and his "type" though. They have gone through life climbing the ladder by just over promising and lying to people, telling them what they want to hear and hopefully someone else will do the work to sort it all out. What never ceases to amaze me is so many people fall for it. Not just once but over and over again. Its bizarre.

Guest pelmetman
brugge - 2020-12-22 4:23 PM

Plenty of shellfish here on the shelves pelmetman, also plenty of turkey crowns being sold off at halve price as weve got that many!

Dear Grumpy EU bloke.......

Brugge.....aka Belgium aint blocking imports last time I looked ;-) ..........

BTW....... My Turkey has been in the freezer since November.......and my presents have been under the tree since the begining of December B-) ........

Coz I knew what bitter Losers you Haters and the EU would be >:-) .......

So I'll leave having a miserable F*cked up Christmas to you LOSERS (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

Signed

Smug Brexiteer with a full larder and freezer B-) .........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ........

Barryd999 - 2020-12-22 4:03 PM Not only did he lie about the number of trucks (or was it just his opinion that there were only 174?) but its actually nearer enough half our goods not 20% as he neglected to include the tunnel traffic in that figure which is also stranded. Why? Why constantly try to make things out to be better than they are? Why is it always the sleazy "DFS bad suited salesman" sell?. Its a s**tstorm. Just tell us its a s**tstorm and go and sort it FFS!

This is Johnson and his "type" though. They have gone through life climbing the ladder by just over promising and lying to people, telling them what they want to hear and hopefully someone else will do the work to sort it all out. What never ceases to amaze me is so many people fall for it. Not just once but over and over again. Its bizarre.

Boris seemed to be quoting the latest lorry figures as he was broadcasting at 5.15pm last night so the count might well have been only 174 (which the Transport Secretary confirmed) because most of those reported to be on the M20 earlier (about 700 odd) had presumably been moved to Manston by then. But lorries would have kept arriving via the M20 and would then join the stack, hence the much higher count the following morning.

Clearly you have got to the stage with Boris (and Hancock and perhaps any other Government Minister) that you believe they are all habitual and unrelenting bare faced liars and you are entitled to hold that opinion, even though there may be little or no evidence of any of them knowingly telling untruths. But you seem to me to be so blinkered and stubborn about this that I can no longer be bothered to give your views a hearing.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-12-22 6:22 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-12-22 4:03 PM Not only did he lie about the number of trucks (or was it just his opinion that there were only 174?) but its actually nearer enough half our goods not 20% as he neglected to include the tunnel traffic in that figure which is also stranded. Why? Why constantly try to make things out to be better than they are? Why is it always the sleazy "DFS bad suited salesman" sell?. Its a s**tstorm. Just tell us its a s**tstorm and go and sort it FFS!

Boris seemed to be quoting the latest lorry figures as he was broadcasting at 5.15pm last night so the count might well have been only 174 (which the Transport Secretary confirmed) because most of those reported to be on the M20 earlier (about 700 odd) had presumably been moved to Manston by then. But lorries would have kept arriving via the M20 and would then join the stack, hence the much higher count the following morning.

Clearly you have got to the stage with Boris (and Hancock and perhaps any other Government Minister) that you believe they are all habitual and unrelenting bare faced liars and you are entitled to hold that opinion, even though there may be little or no evidence of any of them knowingly telling untruths. But you seem to me to be so blinkered and stubborn about this that I can no longer be bothered to give your views a hearing.

My diagnosis is "terminal Loseritus" Doc :D ........

That's why I'm getting the hell out of CB ;-) ......

In case it mutates and becomes contagious 8-) ........

StuartO - 2020-12-22 6:22 PM................................Clearly you have got to the stage with Boris (and Hancock and perhaps any other Government Minister) that you believe they are all habitual and unrelenting bare faced liars and you are entitled to hold that opinion, even though there may be little or no evidence of any of them knowingly telling untruths. But you seem to me to be so blinkered and stubborn about this that I can no longer be bothered to give your views a hearing.

But then, but then, but then? :-D

Might it not appear to some that your final sentence could apply equally to others? Why should someone who expresses, albeit a little colourfully :-), a derogatory opinion of our present political leadership, be the subject of an almost equally exaggerated ad hominem attack?

This is debate, is it not? Why does disagreement so quickly degenerate into personal attack, rather than engaging with the argument made, or simply agreeing to disagree? In the absence of debate do we not all end up inhabiting personal echo-chambers? Is that really preferable?

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-22 6:51 PM

StuartO - 2020-12-22 6:22 PM................................Clearly you have got to the stage with Boris (and Hancock and perhaps any other Government Minister) that you believe they are all habitual and unrelenting bare faced liars and you are entitled to hold that opinion, even though there may be little or no evidence of any of them knowingly telling untruths. But you seem to me to be so blinkered and stubborn about this that I can no longer be bothered to give your views a hearing.

Might it not appear to some that your final sentence could apply equally to others? Why should someone who expresses, albeit a little colourfully :-), a derogatory opinion of our present political leadership, be the subject of an almost equally exaggerated ad hominem attack?

This is debate, is it not? Why does disagreement so quickly degenerate into personal attack, rather than engaging with the argument made, or simply agreeing to disagree? In the absence of debate do we not all end up inhabiting personal echo-chambers? Is that really preferable?

Chatterbox is largely an echo chamber of fixed ideas, which is why I convalesce elsewhere between occasional brief visits.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-12-22 7:32 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-22 6:51 PM

Chatterbox is largely an echo chamber of fixed ideas, which is why I convalesce elsewhere between occasional brief visits.

Indeed :D ........

Debate died on here early morning of the 24th of June 2016 ;-) .......

Then some Diehard Losers just got angrier and angrier (lol) (lol) (lol).......

I admit I may have done my bit in winding them up >:-) .......

Is Boris driven by determination not to lose personal face over Brexit rather than bending with the wind and asking for an extension of Transition, so that we can all get COVID-19 out of the way first?

I think BoJo is still a remainer at heart.

But yes he has got a plan.

Which is to stop Farage coming back.

Which means insisting on a hard Brexit.

As the Irish PM said

'Boris Johnson would set the country on fire if his hands were cold' :-S

But lorries would have kept arriving via the M20 and would then join the stack,

Joining the stack is the last thing I would do.

No facilities at the roadside.

Just a slowly moving traffic queue probably lasting for days.

I would be looking for somewhere better, and attempting a way round the stack

You seem absolutely blinkered, I will repeat, it was a fictitious figure, Highways England have confirmed the actual figures. I'm trying to think how they came up with them, my best guess is it started out at 500(or whatever) and Boris had been told 326 where being moved to Manston, but in the meantime many more joined the motorway, so it never ever reduced to 174.

As Colin has confirmed there was never only 174 trucks. There was even a mystified tweet from one of the local Kent transport departments wondering where he got that figure from and then there was the part where he tried to play it down by saying it was only effecting 20% of our goods, conveniently leaving out the channel tunnel traffic which all adds up to nearly half our goods.

So either Johnson hasn't got a clue what is going on or he is just once again playing it down and lying to us? Which is it?

You say my views are blinkered and it seems you are prepared to always give the government and Johnson the benefit of doubt. I would say my views are not blinkered but based on years of careful observation they are always sceptical and as it turns out pretty much all of the time justified once the truth is out. Stop giving them the benefit of doubt and open your eyes.

Finally, you can ignore my posts of course if you wish if its easier for you, your prerogative.

colin - 2020-12-22 9:32 PM

You seem absolutely blinkered, I will repeat, it was a fictitious figure, Highways England have confirmed the actual figures. I'm trying to think how they came up with them, my best guess is it started out at 500(or whatever) and Boris had been told 326 where being moved to Manston, but in the meantime many more joined the motorway, so it never ever reduced to 174.

I think there is little point worrying too much over the "actual" figure, because it fluctuates continually.

However (and please excuse my/their arrogance), the figure being quoted and shown on our local TV news over the past few evenings has been about 3,000 at Manston, with many others parked in lay-bys and car parks on roads (including many in the A20 "stack") leading to Dover/Cheriton.

Maybe Boris was guessing, rather than "expressing an opinion", and just forgot to say so! :-D But why does he do that? He only has to ask.

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-23 12:27 PM

colin - 2020-12-22 9:32 PM

I think there is little point worrying too much over the "actual" figure, because it fluctuates continually.

However (and please excuse my/their arrogance), the figure being quoted and shown on our local TV news over the past few evenings has been about 3,000 at Manston, with many others parked in lay-bys and car parks on roads (including many in the A20 "stack") leading to Dover/Cheriton.

Maybe Boris was guessing, rather than "expressing an opinion", and just forgot to say so! :-D But why does he do that? He only has to ask.

Personally if I was addressing a large number of people (and it has been known) If I didnt know the facts I would either not bring it up or if I had to bring it up I would say I am unsure of the figures but will find out and get back to you. Guessing 174 seems odd to me. You might say "oh its around 170 or so I believe" but better to say "I dont know but we will find out".

I think also what gave him away was his attempt to convince us it was only 20% of our incoming supplies that were effected. He got that wrong by more than half!

So. Either he is an idiot or a liar. Which is it? I say both.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-23 12:37 PM............................

Personally if I was addressing a large number of people (and it has been known) If I didnt know the facts I would either not bring it up or if I had to bring it up I would say I am unsure of the figures but will find out and get back to you. Guessing 174 seems odd to me. You might say "oh its around 170 or so I believe" but better to say "I dont know but we will find out".

I think also what gave him away was his attempt to convince us it was only 20% of our incoming supplies that were effected. He got that wrong by more than half!

Quite, so would I! :-D

But liar? As Stuart has pointed out, lying requires a deliberate intent to deceive others. OTOH, if, in a moment of stress, one just "wings it", and takes an unguarded stab at the number, I suppose the allegation of lying would be a bit harsh. In his defence, I'm sure he'd say he'd no intention of deceiving, but merely gave the last number he remembers hearing - which he now realises was from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Tricky, isn't it? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-23 12:55 PM

But liar? As Stuart has pointed out, lying requires a deliberate intent to deceive others. OTOH, if, in a moment of stress, one just "wings it", and takes an unguarded stab at the number, I suppose the allegation of lying would be a bit harsh. In his defence, I'm sure he'd say he'd no intention of deceiving, but merely gave the last number he remembers hearing - which he now realises was from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Tricky, isn't it? :-D

LOL. There are even websites dedicated to the lies of Boris Johnson. I started sifting through one just now and paged down for so long it started to hurt my eyes and slow down my browser so I gave up. He is the sort of person who will tell a lie or stretch the truth even when he doesn't need to. Like I said, its in his DNA and his entire life and career is based upon untruths and bulls**t. Is there little wonder then that many (Well those that choose to take off their blinkers) have zero trust in him whatsoever?

Barryd999 - 2020-12-23 12:37 PM

You don't get to be the Prime Minister in any country if you are an idiot -

- only time will tell if the Tories who voted for him as leader are.

;-)

Barryd999 - 2020-12-23 2:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-23 12:55 PM

LOL. There are even websites dedicated to the lies of Boris Johnson. I started sifting through one just now and paged down for so long it started to hurt my eyes and slow down my browser so I gave up. He is the sort of person who will tell a lie or stretch the truth even when he doesn't need to. Like I said, its in his DNA and his entire life and career is based upon untruths and bulls**t. Is there little wonder then that many (Well those that choose to take off their blinkers) have zero trust in him whatsoever?

What really surprises is me that sufficient people thought him suitable material to be Party Leader, and then voted in sufficient number to ensure he became PM. Didn't

I have nothing personally against the Tory party as a whole, just as I have nothing personally against the Labour party, or any other party, as a whole.

But, I do seriously wonder how the Tories could vote BoJo as their leader (even if they did so while the even less electable Corbyn was Labour leader). That must have been one of the most unfortunate conjunction of party leadership in our history - and then, up pops Covid! :'( Rumsfeld was right - "stuff happens"! :-D

Archived