Help!! Bailey Autograph Bike Rack and Storage

yorkyram1

Hi...im'e after some more advise if possible please?.and some suggestions and idea's maybe?....ok..iv'e bought a Bailey autograph approach 765 which we can now hopefully in the future take our 2 grand children away with us now and again and hopefully maybe in 18 months or so venture into France with them. So here's the 'problem'..we have 2 E/bikes which as everyone knows aren't exactly all that light..and ok..when there's just the 2 of us it's fine..a 2 bike rack on the back..no probs..but we would be looking at 4 bikes..as the grandchildren are 6 and 10. Then the other 'problem' is extra storage would be nice in the case of either a storage box on the rear fitted..or one on the roof but that would mean having ladders fitted..or the other option would be a small box trailer and just put everything in there..but obviously that means towing something and all that comes with that idea?..any idea's as to what to do for the best from anyone would be much appreciated..lol many thanks ..Nigel.

(Edit to revise thread title - Keithl)

(Nigel, Please can I request you use meaningful titles rather than just 'help!!' - thanks, Keith)

There are 2 areas of concern with bike racks and the 765. Firstly the rear wall is weakened by having a large window in it and secondly the vertical spacing between the 2 fitted Fiamma mounting bars is less than the minimum recommended by Fiamma (the vertical bars of the rack usually need to be cut down before the rack can be fitted).

There have been instances of cracks forming (see picture attached of a 765) and although the rack should be fine for a couple of reasonably light bikes I would look at other options for your heavier load.

765rack.thumb.jpg.2e8398c8a699dc64d5b49c2a6554644f.jpg

1) Fit a towbar and 4 bike rack. Pricey!

2) Fit a 2 bike rack and carry 2 fold-ups.

3) Fit towbar and haul a max 750kg trailer with bikes mounted on top.

Option 3 would be my vote. Problem is you will probably need to buy that trailer in Europe. Nothing in the UK that I have ever seen, fits the bill.

I would add that we had two e bikes on our factory fitted Fiamma rack and withour going into a long story, the rack fell off while driving. Eldiss had only screwed it on with self tappers>:-(

So make sure it's through bolted with a wood support inside and metal backing plates

TBH I wouldn't take four bikes on a bike rack. I take 2 and the g/kids inside but that's not ideal either. Towbar and small trailer would be my choice but not cheap

Nigel,

What is your available payload for adding your electric bikes plus grand kids and their bikes?

I see that an Autograph 765 is available as standard with a GVW (aka MTPLM) of 3,500 kg to allow it to be driven on a Class B or 'car licence' so is yours plated at 3,500 kg or higher?

And what is your maximum plated towing weight?

Keith.

Nigel asked me about Bailey motorhomes by PM and the Autograph 765 model in particular. I replied as follows:

I’m fairly familiar with Bailey motorhomes, but they have never met my requirements for left-hand-drive and relative compactness.

You should be able to find useful information on the following three links

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/bailey-approach-autograph-765-motorhome-review/900055

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/bailey-approach-autograph-765

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/bailey-approach-autograph-765

and a casual GOOGLE-search indicates that the 765 model has occasionally been discussed on the Out&AboutLive forums.

The 765 is long and unusually wide. It has an ultra-low AL-KO chassis and long wheelbase resulting in limited under-chassis clearance with the risk of ‘grounding’ if you aren’t careful. I believe the gas-locker is sized for two UK Calor 6kg gas bottles, unlike your Chausson that could accommodate 13kg French-norm canisters. The 6kg bottle restriction should not be an issue in the UK, but can complicate matters if the motorhome is to be used abroad. I think the 765 was normally sold with a 3500kg Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) for driving-licence entitlement reasons, but there won’t be much usable payload at that weight if heavy extras are added (eg. a big awning) and/or the vehicle’s passenger-carrying/sleeping potential is to be exploited. (I understand it is quite common for bigger Bailey models to have their GVW uprated to 3850kg to gain a further 350kg of payload.)

A current forum-member (Steve928) owned a Bailey motorhome for a while before switching to his present Euro Mobil. Steve is technically expert, has ownership knowledge of the marque and is not afraid to be critical.

If you post the following to the Motorhome Matters forum

“2014 Bailey Approach Autograph 765 - pros and cons?

I have just sold my Chausson Allegro 97 ..2009 model which i had for 7 years..it was only a 3 berth but now we have 4 grandchildren we decided to change it for something with more sleeping capacity as we would like to take them away with us now and again..[not all together!..lol..]..so after a lot of 'window shopping' i came across a Bailey Autograph 765/6 berth..2014 model with 17,000 on the clock. I haven't picked it up yet and may have to wait until this lock down ends. If anyone has an opinion on the van i've bought i would be appreciate knowing what you think - good or bad!

Thanks”

you should get valuable feedack, partiicularly if Steve responds.

If the van is built on the 3.5t (3.85t) chassis it is doubtful that it is suitable for hanging anything of any substance off the back.

After lockdown you should consider a trip to a weighbridge 'fully loaded' to determine the gross weight and weight on rear axle, from that you can decide how to proceed.

The same '335' designation chassis with 1850F and 2000R axle maxima was used across the entire Autograph 2 range, from the lightest 540 to the heaviest 765. The 765 would have left the factory plated at 3850Kg MAM so any 765 now plated at 3500 would have been down-plated (C1 restrictions, hire fleet requirements etc.).

The 765 shares the same very long wheelbase with the short-lived 750, i.e. 4700mm, which makes it somewhat ungainly in terms of turning circle and more likely to ground its ultra-low AlKo chassis between the wheels rather than at the overhang. The short overhang does make it a good candidate for rear loading though as the fulcrum effect is relatively low.

The attached picture shows the difference between the 4102mm wheelbase models (already 67mm longer than the Ducato's longest wheelbase) and the 4700mm variants.

P.S. the 765's gas locker was sized for 2x 10Kg BP Gaslight (or whatever they used to be called) but will happily accept 2x 11Kg refillables.

Happy to go into further pros and cons either in this or a new thread if Nigel so desires.

Capture.JPG.da10e0b6f608cfe5b97c8f8af1ec4e7b.JPG

Archived