Help with radio

Pete-B

Hi, Were on site at the moment in our 2020 Peugeot Auto Sleeper Warwick XL. Can anyone please tell me how to stop the radio switching itself off after a short time. In our old Fiat van it was possible to set it to turn off after 3 hours.

Would appreciate some help before her cooking my dinner burns my ears off or my steak :-D

Pete-B - 2021-04-25 9:16 PM

Hi, Were on site at the moment in our 2020 Peugeot Auto Sleeper Warwick XL. Can anyone please tell me how to stop the radio switching itself off after a short time. In our old Fiat van it was possible to set it to turn off after 3 hours.

Would appreciate some help before her cooking my dinner burns my ears off or my steak :-D

If it's a factory fitted radio - as fitted at the factory/ dedicated - then it's now a standard feature for this to happen to save on draining your vehicles battery. Once off you can turn it back on by the power down button on the radio.

That's as far as I'm aware

Sounds like it is wired to the starter battery which needs to be protected from draining flat.

One option is to change it to be powered from the leisure battery or put a switch in so that it can be either powered from the starter or the leisure battery.

The factory radio is integrated into the Canbus network and operates through and in conjunction with the body computer and the instrument cluster. The off delay settings are intended to prevent excessive drain on the battery, by allowing the network to shut down as it is intended to do when ever the engine is turned off and the vehicle parked.

The default settings programmed into the radio are no delay (instant shutoff when the engine is turned off) or 20 minutes delay. It is possible to change the 20 minute delay setting to 180 minutes, but it requires the body computer to be reprogrammed. I don't know whether Peugeot dealers can or will do this, but the option is mentioned in the Fiat Ducato Converters and Upfitters Manual, and I have successfully changed it on my van using AlfaOBD software to reprogram the BCM, and MultiEcuScan to proxi-align the new settings.

Fiat also say in that manual that, whilst vehicles fitted with radio prep for aftermarket radios may be wired so that the radio is powered from a non-ignition controlled independent supply, the factory radio power source must not be altered.

Pete,

Buy the cook a battery powered DAB radio and keep her happy. Just sit it on the worktop or even take it outside when she has her coffee break :D :D :D

And far cheaper (and safer) than messing with the CANBUS!

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-04-26 9:49 AM

Pete,

Buy the cook a battery powered DAB radio and keep her happy. Just sit it on the worktop or even take it outside when she has her coffee break :D :D :D

And far cheaper (and safer) than messing with the CANBUS!

Keith.

I can't give her time her time off for a coffee break, good god man, she'll want paying next then where will it all end :-(

Deneb - 2021-04-26 9:22 AM

Fiat also say in that manual that, whilst vehicles fitted with radio prep for aftermarket radios may be wired so that the radio is powered from a non-ignition controlled independent supply, the factory radio power source must not be altered.

...I was going to question what you'd written there, but I think it is only a poor choice of wording, making it a little misleading. ;-)

The converters manual details a way of providing a permanent power supply to a radio, and this involves "butchering" the factory-supplied radio power source, BUT, this explicitly should only be considered where an aftermarket radio is fitted, and must not be done where you have a factory-fit radio.

(Your wording could be interpreted as supporting that, but it's not the way I initially read it!).

Robinhood - 2021-04-27 8:40 AM

...I was going to question what you'd written there, but I think it is only a poor choice of wording, making it a little misleading. ;-)

The converters manual details a way of providing a permanent power supply to a radio, and this involves "butchering" the factory-supplied radio power source, BUT, this explicitly should only be considered where an aftermarket radio is fitted, and must not be done where you have a factory-fit radio.

(Your wording could be interpreted as supporting that, but it's not the way I initially read it!).

Yes, I can see how it could me misinterpreted. The distinction is that vans can be ordered with three different radio options; no radio provision at all, radio preparation for aftermarket radios, and with factory installed radios.

There are wiring differences between the latter two options. Aftermarket radio preparation wiring is independent of the canbus, whereas the factory radios are integrated and communicate with other modules on the vehicle. Knowing that, it made sense to me, but I can see how anyone who does not realise the distinction could be confused.

Thinking now, I will take the advice of a few and get a portable set but is it possible to get one that comes with a 12v lead that terminates with a ciggy lighter plug so I could use the dash socket?

We're pretty much always use CMC sites so always plugged in to lecky.

If you're always plugged into EHU then get a battery/mains powered radio.

The OH has a very nice Roberts radio DAB/FM with a mains adaptor lead.

Keith.

Edit. A quick look at Curry's and loads of Mains/Battery starting just over £20

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/dab-radios/audio/radios/550_4276_31970_xx_ba00010889-bv00308783/1_50/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

Archived