Swift 590rs on a Ducato

Taxi 516

The 20amp leisure battery fuse internally intermittently gets very warm and melts the casing before blowing.

It only appears to be doing it when the engine is running and being turned off.

I am leaning to a faulty split charge relay does anyone have any other suggestions. ?

Dealer can't seem to be able to repair under warranty so maybe a auto electrician if no advise here.

Many thanks and let's hope someone out there can help

Andy

Check the battery voltage by pulling the fuse let the battery rest for at least an hour (free surface voltage) check the voltage, leave overnight disconnected and check again. If it has dropped by more than 0.5 volt it may be suspect.

If not with it all connected run the engine and check the voltage both at the engine battery and the hab one around 14.4. They should both similar the hab one may be a bit less because of voltage drop in the wiring. Other things to check are the terminals clean and tight on both batteries, is the earth strap from the engine battery clean and tight where it fixes to the chassis.

If you can get an ammeter that will take say 30 amps, put this in line with your battery to the supply lead and check what current is flowing.

Andy,

What year is your Swift and what make/model of base vehicle is built on? ie Fiat Ducato X250.

Do you have wiring diagrams for the habitation side electrics and if so what fuse is shown as per Buddy's post above?

Keith.

I would be very wary of uprating the fuse until you have checked the specification as you could very easily make matters worse.

My main habitation fuse is 30A rated and has a very simple 40A changeover relay. If yours is similar then they are as cheap as chips and it may be worthwhile trying a new one.

What is going to draw 20A+ when the engine is running with a new leisure battery & presumably with the fridge switched off

(?) (?)

The 2007 and 2008 Swift Handbooks both contain the phrase (viz a viz the cab battery)....

Your motorhome has been fitted with an inline fuse between the battery terminal and

strip connector. It is recommended that the

fuse rating fitted in this location does not

exceed 40 amps

It might be worth substituting a higher value fuse (not exceeding 40 amps) to check if it overcomes any issues.

The wiring diagrams for Swift motorhomes from around the 2008 - 2010 period all show a 40 amp fuse when the Sargent electrical Ne184 or PSU460 is fitted, but I believe that at this time Swift also used another system (Nordelettronica) which may have a different set up regarding fuse sizes. When the correct fuse size is confirmed it would be worth replacing the fuse holder anyway, as suggested, as it may have damage due to the overheating that has taken place .

Archived